TaleSpinner

Weight Loss Support Thread

Gu Gels are kind of nasty.  They make sense for ultra-runners who have 2% or less body fat, but for big folks like those of us here I'm not at all convinced you need more sugar for anything less than an ultra-marathon. I do like "SaltStick" capsules, which are electrolyte replacement capsules without any sugar.  They seem to help me avoid feeling sore or cramping after long runs, especially when it is hot and I've sweated even more excessively than usual, and don't have nasty taste or sugar highs like the gels or Gatorades. I usually take one just after I finish an hour+ run, but if I'm planning something over 10 miles I'll usually take one with me to have along the way.

• Like 3

I think falstius and I have opposite reactions to those things... Gu really worked for me (until it stopped) and the salt tablet things always tasted awful and made me feel sick. :lol: Basically: There are no hard and fast rules, and anyone who tells you otherwise is wrong. (Which is my hard-and-fast rule, which means it's wrong. ::P: ) Whenever people say "You have to do XYZ", treat it as a suggestion. Experiment until you find what works for you, and keep track of whether it continues to work for you and make adjustments as necessary. And don't forget to have fun. ::): 

• Like 5

SO I have had the HARDEST time getting back to the GYM. 1. because my Gym partner is lazier than I am, 2. I keep making excuses that I need to use that time to study code 3.I just plain don't want to, and 4. I detest doing it in the morning but I really dont like doing it at 7 at night (right after I get off work). So I have all these excuses in front of me.

All that to say I just read an interesting post on LifeHacker about "Stubbornness" That kind of helps me get an angle on my thought process. Though this would help you guys. 

I also found 2 very short videos that are basically just motivation video I watch. I'm at a stage right now where I need to JUST GO and I need to get my mind back in the right place.

Edited by Arc 724
  • Like 10

So far it looks like I'm down 15 pounds since last spring.  Weight this morning was 345.6.  Hoping this isnt just a result of being crazy busy all summer and it won't come back over the winter like it has every year the last 3 years

I've almost gotten rid of energy drinks and soda and replaced them with Mio energy and crystal light water enhancers..  I won't lie though, I know the testosterone replacement has done wonders for my energy levels.  if my ankle would cooperate I'd be able to walk further, but right now my 8,000 steps a day is about right...

We have an aquatic training place that I thought was all about scuba training, but it turns out they also have a lap pool and you can get 25 visits for $100, which is much cheaper than the $75/month YMCA membership for my wife and I, so hopefully I'll be swimming a couple times a week after I get done running an SCA event this weekend...

• Like 10

SO I have had the HARDEST time getting back to the GYM. 1. because my Gym partner is lazier than I am, 2. I keep making excuses that I need to use that time to study code 3.I just plain don't want to, and 4. I detest doing it in the morning but I really dont like doing it at 7 at night (right after I get off work). So I have all these excuses in front of me.

All that to say I just read an interesting post on LifeHacker about "Stubbornness" That kind of helps me get an angle on my thought process. Though this would help you guys. 

I also found 2 very short videos that are basically just motivation video I watch. I'm at a stage right now where I need to JUST GO and I need to get my mind back in the right place.

Article seems pretty spot-on, from my own experience... Your mileage may vary, of course. :;): 

• Like 3

What they call stubbornness, I know as cognitive dissonance (to me you can be stubborn and right, but dissonance implies you are wrong). Cognitive dissonance is when you reject facts because they don't fit with how you see yourself or your world, and it is an instinctual reaction. It is a good point that many healthy lifestyle changes are probably rejected because of cognitive dissonance.

• Like 4

I liked some of the points they made.

I have tried a lot of eating plans and always said "oh it must be my genetics that make it hard for me to lose weight". No I need to cut out carbs significantly and not eat processed crap.

• Like 8

After a couple hellish weeks of work and nonsense, finally got back on the wagon, today. I'd fallen off pretty hard.

Fun fact: Dinner tonight, with all its okra and whatnot, nearly killed me.

Mostly already feeling better, though.

• Like 5

That was a good read. This link was mentioned in that post, and was about the confusion over health and nutrition. It was pretty good too.
  • Like 5

I ran 9.7km Saturday. Was supposed to be only 8km, but i misjudged my distance. 

I left the car at a certain spot the night before, and my goal was to run to the car. The car merely turned out to be 1.7km farther than I thought it had been...

In 2 weeks I run 9.5km, (that's supposed to be my new "long run" distance. It's nice to know I can already do it, lol.

I am down to 204.4, although this morning the scale said 203.6 I don't believe it. It's been odd lately...

Awesome job Bryan!

I made the hubs walk everywhere we could possible walk to this weekend. My phone tells me I walked over 10k steps on my birthday :) 

I figure it's a start. My ankle is starting to feel much better, but after extensive walking can get a little bit sore and i can still see a swollen area by the bone. I think in a few more weeks I will be able to pick up the pace and start a couch to 5k app. (I got the zombie one)

• Like 6

Make sure you buy good shoes.

I hike in the woods and walk long distances, so I've bought some very sturdy trekking boots.

Expensive, but worth it.

These support the ankles, give good grip on every surface.

Good shoes are important..

*** End of lecture ***

• Like 6

I hike in the woods and walk long distances, so I've bought some very sturdy trekking boots.

Expensive, but worth it.

*** End of lecture ***

Agreed. Good shoes are worth the money.
  • Like 5

Expensive, but worth it.

*** End of lecture ***

I just finished buying a good pair of running shoes 2 weeks ago, in fact. They seem to make tremendous difference in my comfort levels, not to mention being significantly lighter than my day-to-day shoes.

My use is running, not hiking, so my needs are different from yours, but I have learned that the millions of specialty shoes out there really do have a purpose, and while they are sometimes thingy-veiled cash grabs, if you know what you're looking for, they're also useful.

I have some decent shoes from when I used to work out, I found some great reviews by searching for overweight shoe reviews.

When you are overweight you need a lot of support for your shins and the like since you have that much more weight plopping up and down on everything.

Also worth it's weight in gold is a good sports bra :)  Under-armor makes some decent but pricey ones.

• Like 5