Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No changes here. Didn't put on weight over the holidays. 

Gave my notice at the gym today. I am having reconstructive foot surgery on the 23rd. No walking or driving for a couple of months. I expect I'll lose a lot of muscle mass while laying on the couch. 

• Like 2

It's been so long since I've posted in this thread! -hugs all the friends here- We can do it!

November and December were mentally pretty rough for me and the scale showed it. I completely forgot that I was going to bike through Lord of the Rings.... I gained 5 8 pounds back when I checked at the beginning of January.  :down: But I have lost 2 pounds since then!

--

I do love eating low carb though. I agree, it makes it amazingly easy to skip the junk food and sugar - it's all carbs. Yeah, I missed a ton of pastas and such, but it also helped me realize that it wasn't the pasta or pizza bread I was missing - that was merely a form of transportation for the sauces and toppings, which were what I really wanted! Nowadays I make different pasta toppings and put it over chicken and veggies. I get the flavor I'm craving and I skip the crazy amount of carbs. Yum! 

Fresh baked bread is perfection by itself, though. When I'm eating right, I'll eat 0 carb the whole day so I can 100% enjoy that fresh bread. :wub:

--

My better half and I are finally going on our honeymoon this summer - a cruise to Alaska! It's a really big deal to me that we be able to enjoy things together, and I'm very much an outdoors person. So we signed up for a hike in Alaska together! I'm really excited. It's estimated to be 4-6 miles (6.5-9.5km) with 650-1000 feet (200-300 meters) gain in elevation.

To prepare for the hike, we walked 1 mile a day for three days, took a day off, and now we're walking 1.25 miles for another 3 days, then taking a day off. We'll continue to up it by a quarter mile every 3 days with another off day. By the time the cruise comes in May, we should be able to walk 7 miles with no stopping. ::D:  ... I have no idea if that's really the right way to go. The 1 mile took 30 minutes, but so did the 1.25 mile! So that was nice.

In addition to that, we need to figure out how to tackle the elevation. Maybe a ton of stairs or something, because that's like 80 floors. :zombie:

We both really look forward to our walks together after work. Right now we've been listening to The Adventure Zone as they run through a D&D campaign. We heard about them a few years ago and got a good giggle out of it but we've never really been into podcasts. Walking seemed like the perfect time to finally listen to their story! They are just too funny and it's been great for helping my other half not think about his feet. ^_^

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 7

"In addition to that, we need to figure out how to tackle the elevation. Maybe a ton of stairs or something, because that's like 80 floors.  :zombie:"

Aerobics. You want to get the heart pumping and circulating lots of oxygen. Get on a bike machine, or the real thing when weather permits. Ride until breathless, and then ride some more. It will also get your legs in shape for climbing. 

• Like 4

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and am finally ready to post. I've struggled with my weight for about 5 years now. Due to some medication side effects I gained 60 lbs and added at least 10 on top of that through my own doing. So at 208 lbs currently(down from 212 earlier this month) I've sort of got a plan.

I haven't decided the best way to go about a diet yet except I just need to eat better in general. But for exercise walking is going to be the majority of it. Once I get my living room back from the holidays I plan on setting up my Wii to do some Wii Fit again too. Since husband is currently in school our plan is to go walking at the mall (or outside when the weather permits) for a currently undetermined amount of time at least once a week.

We're going on our honeymoon in September to New Orleans where we will be doing tons of walking tours so time to get things going now. I suffer from chronic pain which makes it difficult to get motivated but I'm hoping getting at least a little of the weight off will help with that. I've tried other apps and things that have never worked out so hopefully this will keep me motivated this time.  ^_^

• Like 7

First off, making up your mind to start is a big hurdle, good job!

My experience was that it was important for me to look at it as changing my long term habits rather than going on a "diet."  To me a diet was a temporary thing and then I can go back to doing what I was doing....which was making me fat.  Some people can start big and change everything, some have to take small steps, you'll know which is best for you.  But if you want the weight loss to stay you'll need to change habits.

I also found that in an effort to feel full while still coming in under my daily calorie count I eventually started cooking everything myself and was making better food choices...I still hate to think of it as "eating healthy" and prefer to think of it as eating food that takes up volume in my gut without blowing my calorie intake up.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but make sure you talk to your doc about how your meds may interfere, especially if you're looking at using dietary supplements.

You can do it!

• Like 7

First off, making up your mind to start is a big hurdle, good job!

My experience was that it was important for me to look at it as changing my long term habits rather than going on a "diet."  To me a diet was a temporary thing and then I can go back to doing what I was doing....which was making me fat.  Some people can start big and change everything, some have to take small steps, you'll know which is best for you.  But if you want the weight loss to stay you'll need to change habits.

I also found that in an effort to feel full while still coming in under my daily calorie count I eventually started cooking everything myself and was making better food choices...I still hate to think of it as "eating healthy" and prefer to think of it as eating food that takes up volume in my gut without blowing my calorie intake up.

I'm sure you're already doing this, but make sure you talk to your doc about how your meds may interfere, especially if you're looking at using dietary supplements.

You can do it!

I'm definitely trying to move away from the "diet" mentality but it's been difficult. We're going grocery shopping today so I'm hoping that will help get me cooking on a regular basis, or at least have things that husband can cook up on days I don't feel like it. The list is long but it is mostly healthier foods than I generally get, lots of good snacks rather than the junk I normally get.

My doc is very supportive of this, as of now none of my meds interact negatively with anything. I've yet to decide what kind of supplements I might use/need if I do go that route.

• Like 3

Daily fluctuations are normal, one thing people do to keep focused on the overall trend is weigh everyday, but only record the average for the week.  You'll go crazy trying to chase what the scale tells you everyday.  Like for me, on Sunday I was at 158 and change, yesterday I was 163.8, this morning I was 159.6.

• Like 4