Weight Loss Support Thread

On 3/13/2019 at 7:02 PM, Inarah said:

Two months in and I seem to have stalled.  I can't seem to keep below 1500 calories without being hungry, even on days I don't exercise.  OTOH, I am no longer gaining weight, and we are eating much better.   Was surprised to see that I do much better on days we eat out.  I am not sure why. 

If you work out and still feel hungry after hitting your calorie max, fruit and veg are your friends, eat as much as you like. It's a bit counter intuitive but eating more gives you more energy to workout harder. 

In my army days I used to eat 4000 calories a day when in the field and never put on weight.

• Like 6
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Beagle said:

In my army days I used to eat 4000 calories a day when in the field and never put on weight.

30 years ago I could do that too. ::D: 

I've got to dice up more veg today.  I've been keeping a tub of chopped onion, pepper, zucchini and mushroom to dump into breakfast omelets.  Some herbs and salsa and it's ready in minutes. 

• Like 6

I'm calorie counting again - apparently my BMI is now overweight. I have a target weight 40lbs below my current. I've managed to do 10000 steps both Monday and yesterday, hopefully that keeps up. Though I do wish I had some good way of monitoring how much of my weight was fat vs. how much will be muscle, as I intend to build some muscle in this process.

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I'm calorie counting again - apparently my BMI is now overweight. I have a target weight 40lbs below my current. I've managed to do 10000 steps both Monday and yesterday, hopefully that keeps up. Though I do wish I had some good way of monitoring how much of my weight was fat vs. how much will be muscle, as I intend to build some muscle in this process.

Well, you can't really keep track of that, but you can measure your waist and keep track of how that's changing.  I've been watching the hole I use in my belt move in, and now I either need to punch more holes in this belt or buy a smaller belt, which is good. :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, I have the same problem.  We just got our Bluebell ice cream allowed back in the state and there is a gallon of Strawberries & Cream in the freezer. I try to go for protein snacks in the evening. A slice of turkey with cheese,  a handful of nuts,  a scrambled egg with salsa....  If you can have dairy try a yogurt cup or cottage cheese.  

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Paradoxical Mouse said:

I ate an entire pint of coconut milk ice cream last night...not being very successful. I'm good during the day, then 7 PM hits...

Just remember: "Progress, not perfection".

Which I should tell myself more often.  My winter weight is beginning to approach my heaviest.  And I've been boredom eating at work again.  Time to knuckle down and start eating better/working out again.

• Like 8
15 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Just remember: "Progress, not perfection".

Which I should tell myself more often.  My winter weight is beginning to approach my heaviest.  And I've been boredom eating at work again.  Time to knuckle down and start eating better/working out again.

Well, if it helps, boredom eating at work is why I pack so much food for work!  Beef jerky, vegetables, fruit, mini cheese servings, WW peanut butter bar, popchips... It's a serious amount of food I have right there at my desk for wandering bored fingers to alight upon.  Because I know what I do when I'm bored, and it's usually sticking something crunchy in my mouth! :)

• Like 4

I did ok at the christmas party yesterday (It was delayed due to bad weather).   Sooo many sweets on the table,  cookies, cupcakes, muffins, pies, candy, cake, etc.  Stuck to hummus and pita, olives, shrimp cocktail, and unsweetened iced tea. Had two tiny (like 1" wide) pieces of dessert.  It was still too much but at least it wasn't ~1000+cals in one sitting like in the past.  

Got a game/paint night coming up this week, thinking of taking fresh thai spring rolls, maybe shrimp cocktail, too.  I can eat a lot of that. 

And a potluck the week after that.... I can grill some veg and chicken kebabs. That sounds good. 

• Like 4

Hello everyone, long time listener first time caller.  I'm a big guy and I recently started seeing a doctor about weight loss.  Last night I had a problem where nothing sounded appetizing for dinner.  I knew I needed to eat something, I was well below my calorie goal for the day, but I couldn't get myself interested in eating anything.  Hopefully dinner today goes better and this weekend is Easter so visiting family and trying not to eat too much.

• Like 3

Eh, off the diet for a few months because of illness, working on taxes, and the home business. 

Anyway, friend is following Haylie Pomroy's diet regimen. Cycles through different foods through the week, so has variety. But it's not as lax as other diets. Still, if you've been on a diet, you should have enough discipline to look into it.

I'll go back to low carb when I'm over this.

• Like 3

I.... don't know what I'm doing.  It's been 3 months since I gave up alcohol, dairy, and added sugar.   And fried food.  I am working out twice a week.  I feel great.  I lost 5 lbs and gained it back, and there's been no movement for a month now.  I am eating 500 - 1200 fewer calories per day than I averaged in December and January (averaging ~1500 cals now).   Feeling frustrated. :down:

Leaving for vacation in a week: hiking, rafting, laying on the beach.  Not going to track calories or food and will see where I stand when I get back. 

• Like 1