Weight Loss Support Thread

Still struggling to get back into the habit of exercising daily again, but I have finally got myself a digital scale so I can more accurately portion my food (who knew a box of cereal was supposed to last more than a few days?).

Hopefully this will help me lose whatever I put back on when I kinda gave up last year.

• Like 6
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after some searching, the last time we did a weight loss support thread was over five years ago.  It didn't seem to make sense to threadomancy that since it is long out of date.  Anyway, I need to

/blows away the dust   So things have happened, jobs were gained and lost, houses moved into and new awesome jobs were gained. Diets failed and exercising failures but something happened.   My ne

welp.   I've done it.   I've lost 50 pounds. 22.7 kilos. All of the weight I gained while on meds for 7 years. It's gone. I'm back down to my college weight.   Not entire

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I’m back on Weight Watchers pretty strictly after a holiday season of joyous feasting. Exercise is a bit of a problem at this time of the year; bicycling would be my exercise of choice.

It's worth checking out bike trainer stands. I sit my road bike in one and pedal away for 35 minutes. Apart from anything else it give me a chance to catch up on TV ::P:

• Like 6
9 hours ago, Xiwo Xerase said:

I'm on the weight loss game now too.  For the moment, I'm just tracking what I eat and keeping below what MyFitnessPal thinks my caloric intake should be.  If you exclude my candy habits (which I've mostly kicked) and stress eating because of work or sleep deprivation (because I have to stay up until 3 am because of work, again), I'm coming in at or under what the app thinks my calorie limit should be, so I know some of this is work's fault.  (And I know some of it is simply because I'm not exercising much.)

Good news: I'm down 10-ish pounds since I started at the beginning of December.

Bad news: I haven't changed much over the past week and change, but I'm only supposed to be losing a pound a week, so I'm not too worried, yet.  (I guess I got the easy pounds out of the way.)

So 10 down, 50+ to go.

If I can lose another 10, I'll be near the weight I was when I got married a bit over four years ago.

One side effect of February's employment wackiness is that I may get more time to exercise, which I don't have right now.

I was very successful with myfitnesspal in earlier rounds of weight loss. Last year I moved into a different position at work and my level of physical exertion changes on a daily basis. Couple that with not being able to wear a fitness monitor at work, the last time I tried to use MFP I couldn't get my calories counts right.  It was really frustrating. 

• Like 5

Pfff I still need to start exercising again, with all the stuff going on right now I have no spoons.

Oh well, we will be moving soon and then I will have to work in the new house and move stuff etc, so I guess that will help some.

• Like 3

I lost 25 pounds last year,  and I an very happy with that, I have lost 3 so far this year, so on track.   Trying for a little less than 1 lbs a week.  I am also tracking calories using MyFitnessPal.  I  usually exercise using my Cubii stationary couch bike when we watch TV, but I don't add that exercise into the program, just see it as bonus.  It does help a lot that my stomach cannot handle wheat,  I no longer can partake when there are cookies or other baked goodies at work. Now, avoiding grabbing pieces of candy sitting very close to my desk is a bit harder. I at least manage to grab only one piece a day now (in addition to 2 pieces of dark chocolate,  but those are healthy....). 

• Like 3

I've been back to trying low carb for a few weeks.  So far not really getting anywhere weight wise but at least my head is feeling better (I'm diabetic, so Christmas may have pushed my sugars a bit high). A bit concerned that my dawn phenomenon may be pushing my sugars too high in the morning and mucking things up  bit (that happened a couple years ago when I was a bit heavier...I had to lose some weight before LC would work).

So planning to get the treadmill up and running tonight (plan was to get that done in Jan, so last chance!) and see if that will help.

• Like 4

I went keto two weeks ago today. It's been...

It's been "coworkers brought cupcakes" tough for most of this week. I blame the coworkers bringing cupcakes.

I do Sunday weigh-ins. It keeps me from obsessing over plateaus as much. After the first week I was down 7 pounds. To be fair I'd argue all of that was water. But my neck and face have noticeably thinned. Not pleased with the increase in random dudes hitting on me tho :ph34r:

40 more pounds to go. I want to get below 160 for the first time since those meds induced 50 pounds of weight gain.

Edited by NebulousMissy
need coffeeeeee
  • Like 4
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think I will gpo back to the intermittent fasting thing.

It worked well last time.

I've heard good things especially with keto/low carb.

I need something first thing for my meds though, so I don't see it as a valid option for me. (at least everyone I know who does it doesn't eat first thing in the morning)

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think I will gpo back to the intermittent fasting thing.

It worked well last time.

I need something first thing for my meds though, so I don't see it as a valid option for me. (at least everyone I know who does it doesn't eat first thing in the morning)

I did IF last year. Lost 15 pounds over 3 months, plateaued hard after that. Gained it back after surgery.

I didn't eat in the morning either, and by morning I mean my night shifted morning, but breakfast is the easiest meal for me to skip. I know plenty of people eat breakfast and skip dinner instead so it's very much a "you do you" diet. A guy at my work went IF, his food window involved breakfast and lunch, and he lost 22 pounds. From where I have no idea, he was a skinny little elf when he began ::P:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, NebulousMissy said:

I did IF last year. Lost 15 pounds over 3 months, plateaued hard after that. Gained it back after surgery.

I didn't eat in the morning either, and by morning I mean my night shifted morning, but breakfast is the easiest meal for me to skip. I know plenty of people eat breakfast and skip dinner instead so it's very much a "you do you" diet. A guy at my work went IF, his food window involved breakfast and lunch, and he lost 22 pounds. From where I have no idea, he was a skinny little elf when he began ::P:

When I did it I skipped breakfast and of course watched my snack intake.

I really need to start again, it's just that I have a lot of stress at the moment and it doesn't really help.

I also need to start running again.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

DH has done low carb off and on over the years with good results.  Typical breakfasts include egg pucks (look up breakfast egg muffins or keto egg cups for recipes), low sugar yogurt with berries, and home cooked oatmeal (without sugary additives).  Sometimes he grabs a chunk of cheese and a couple pieces of salami.  Traditional bacon and eggs are also perfectly fine.  Some people skip breakfast foods altogether and have dinner, like chicken and vegetables, or a steak.  DH has done well with sugar substitutes for tea and coffee. Your preferences may vary.

I think the key to weight loss on keto/low carb/low glycemic diets is consistency.  You have to stick with it all day, all week,  every week to see good results.  Having a burger, fries and a soda for lunch after a keto/low carb breakfast doesn't work.  If you do it for a couple weeks and see weight loss, then sit down with a piece of pie,  the cycle comes to a screeching halt.  It's important to be fully invested in the diet plan. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Inarah said:

DH has done low carb off and on over the years with good results.  Typical breakfasts include egg pucks (look up breakfast egg muffins or keto egg cups for recipes), low sugar yogurt with berries, and home cooked oatmeal (without sugary additives).  Sometimes he grabs a chunk of cheese and a couple pieces of salami.  Traditional bacon and eggs are also perfectly fine.  Some people skip breakfast foods altogether and have dinner, like chicken and vegetables, or a steak.  DH has done well with sugar substitutes for tea and coffee. Your preferences may vary.

I think the key to weight loss on keto/low carb/low glycemic diets is consistency.  You have to stick with it all day, all week,  every week to see good results.  Having a burger, fries and a soda for lunch after a keto/low carb breakfast doesn't work.  If you do it for a couple weeks and see weight loss, then sit down with a piece of pie,  the cycle comes to a screeching halt.  It's important to be fully invested in the diet plan. 

Yah, low carb is strictly a "do or do not, there is no try" kind of diet. I've done it off and on for, ummm....geez, pretty close to 20 years now. The first time is always the best, I lost well over 100 lbs that time.

My issue now (I think) is not related to what I'm eating, but to the sugar your liver pumps into your system to help you get up in the morning (dawn phenomenon, or process). If that is jacks my sugar up enough to trigger an insulin response then low carb will never work properly.

So I'm in the process of cleaning up what I eat even more, getting rid of as much artificial sweetener as possible, as that can have a bit of an effect on some folk, and preparing for the agony of cutting down on my diet cola.  And getting the treadmill going.  And trying to avoid even low carb snacking late in the evening.

Hopefully doing all of that will get things working.  I'll give it a few more weeks anyway, since my wife is losing on it and cooking all low carb is easier.

• Like 2

Any long term weight loss plan has to be considered a life style change.  Short term diets,  especially ones that are very calorie restricted, will backfire due to the body going into conserve calories mode.   Your metabolism will basically go to very low,  and get stuck there long after the diet is over (years), so when you go back to normal eating the pounds will pile back on and you will be worse off than when you started. 

• Like 3