Weight Loss Support Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Been doing okay this week.

Only missed 1 day of exercising (although I did have to cut one short, because it was getting my chest bad), and cutting down on my food intake is going really well. 

In fact, earlier in the week, I had a nice fried breakfast as a treat and that was pretty much all I needed for the day, makes a change from normally having that plus lunch, dinner and maybe a couple snacks.

• Like 5

Since the closure of my previous workplace, I've been home job hunting. And it was again quickly apparent that being that sedentary with easy access to food quickly turns to weight gain.

So I'm back to a combination of little things, and the weight is slowly going down again.

• 16-8 Intermittent fasting. Relatively easy in the morning if I have strong tea. It irritates my stomach just enough to curb the hunger. Evening cravings are more challenging since I want to avoid caffeine.
  • Low-carb diet/keto. Easy in principle. But frustrating as all the best snack foods are high in carbs or are heavily processed meats. And in the remote town I live in with only one small grocery store, there is a great lack of food variety or freshness.
  • Exercise. I still go to the gym 2-3 times a week for some good cardio.

Progress is slow. Really slow. But not absent.

• Like 4

Weight: all time high 

Activity level: all time low
Food choices/portions/timing: poor

Excuses: many and varied

Physical challenges: some, like arthritis, tendonitis, and plantar fasciitis (yeah...a lot of itises); age; long days at a sedentary job

Goal: -50 lbs before travel to Reaper Con 2020. Targeting September 1, that's 29 weeks and 4 days from today, so I'll need to average about 1.7 lbs per week. Seems reasonable.

Shrink Goal...because Stretch Goal sounds too much like a Kickstarter and the semantic opposite of a weight loss goal...: -60 by September 1, or just shy of 2.0 lbs per week, on average.

Right, then, since goals without actions are just dreams or wishes, today's first action will be to recognize and separate excuses from legitimate challenges. When that's done, excuses can be isolated and destroyed like stragglers from a herd of caribou (my spirit animal is the grey wolf, you know? :poke: ). Less metaphorically, I will stop whining and start to work around & through the challenges.

Second action for today is to get support for food intake - Keto, intermittent fasting, Weight Watchers - some sort of structure. Figuring it out on the fly, at the grocery store, is not working. Need to be more intentional. So, that's where I will start, choosing and working in a proven system of continual improvement.

• Like 6

Twenty one days on keto. I lost 7 pounds the first week, 2 pounds the second, and 2 more the third. Two pounds a week is entirely doable. Eleven pounds down, 40 more pounds to go.

Twenty one days was the key for me. It takes 3 weeks for me to form a new habit and then continue it without having to think or exert willpower. Tested this last night by walking past the desk of that one coworker who has the candy dish full of the good stuff. I wasn't tempted at all.

The main problem I have right now is related to pants. I'm between sizes. The size 14 pants are too tight around the belly to be comfortable, the size 16 pants fall off when I stand up. Good thing I bought these suspenders in preparation for this problem ::P:

Now I have no choice. I have to get the waistcoat. My diet requires crossdressing :blues:

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Last weekend I strayed a little from my weight loss plan,  I had a banana split instead of dinner...  but since I took it easy on the calories the next few days I am back on track for 1 pound a week loss.  

• Like 6

Well I am back on a diet change as well. The Adkins Low Carb one has been the only one that has ever shown siccess for me in the past so I am back on it. But man, that decaf coffee just doesn't  do it quite right in the morning!

• Like 6

Despite some success starting the low-carb phase, I have been unable to continue beyond two days.

But the folks are getting ready to head out to spend time with my brother's family, which will buy me some time/opportunity.  I'm stretching the seams of my pants and need to do something to reverse the trend.

• Like 4

81kg.

I tend to stay around that weight, losing a little, gaining a little.

In a few weeks we will move, and then I will need to do more physical work for a while, after that I intend to start running and lifting again.

In combination with intermittent fasting I hope to finally get those 5 kg off, I really want to lose.

• Like 5

I need to get things back under control.  2 years ago after deciding enough was enough I managed to get from 220 to 183 (my goal was 180).  Couldn't knock off those last 3 lbs and then I stopped being good.  

Back up to 197 and pants are starting to get tight.  Stress eating and living in meetings and working late is not helping.  I think I need to make sure we get rid of the bad snack stuff.  I get home, say to myself "no junk food" and then I'm finishing off a bag of chips a couple hours later...  Working late so often has meant that I'm forgoing my after-work walk as I'm in a hurry to get home and pick up the kids, start dinner...  

• Like 4

I had half a pizza for lunch, too, but I'm not feeling the least bit guilty about it.  I did some research and found (for that restaurant) half a pizza has fewer calories and less fat than the "healthy choice" Caesar salad option they offer.  

Yoga and dance practice tomorrow. 

• Like 4