Weight Loss Support Thread

Guys, I have been professionally engaged in weightlifting for several years now, and therefore, for me, the set of muscle mass, as well as, in principle, mass is very important. I am very proud of those people who set a goal to lose weight and go towards it no matter what. You are great! I am currently training hard to improve my deadlift performance. The deadlift training program helps me to do this, which is aimed at strengthening the back muscles and increasing strength so that the indicators in the deadlift increase significantly. This training program will only last 12 weeks. At the moment, I am already at the stage of special preparation (week 7). I have significantly increased the intensity of work, and also an emphasis on working with a lower amplitude in the deadlift, which allows you to lift heavier weights.

Edited by Alejandro Morris
  • Like 6
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just thinking about this the other day, too.

Ma Strawhat's passing, job stress, household issues, etc. have completely derailed my diet.  I think I've still been losing a little, or at least holding my own, but that's more the amount of stress I've been under.  That isn't a good trade-off.

The "good" (not "bad," at least) news is that I'm raiding the vending machines in the lunch room "less."  For months those lazy sons-a-guns wouldn't fill their machine for anything.  Now they're in to fill once a couple items sell out.  I don't have that much willpower!

• Like 6
On 3/30/2021 at 10:28 PM, strawhat said:

The "good" (not "bad," at least) news is that I'm raiding the vending machines in the lunch room "less."  For months those lazy sons-a-guns wouldn't fill their machine for anything.  Now they're in to fill once a couple items sell out.  I don't have that much willpower!

Probably one of the best things to come out of work from home for me... 3 years ago one of the changes the new owners instituted was to make the soda and candy machines free....

In other news, I'm finally getting serious about trying to shed some weight.  Mrs. Wulf wanted to join Weight Watchers again and I joined with her this time, that way we're both making sure points get tracked.  I'm only about a month in, but I'm down 5% of my body weight so far and feeling really good about it.  I also started riding my bike again after a few years of letting it collect dust.  I'm not up to LONG rides yet, but I'm doing 30 minutes out of my lunch break right now, and i'm up to just over 5 miles and about 350 ft of elevation change.  Doesn't help that i'm lugging a heavy 29" trailbike around the neighborhood with wide tires instead of a proper road bike but I'm going to keep pushing.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Like 7

So, for those who find themselves on their journey to lose weight, I have a small bit of knowledge that I learned this past week from my ENT doctor to share. We all know that when you start to lose fat by diet and exercise (not by any of the surgical processes or cool-sculpting fad) your body loses it proportionately from around your body. What I didn't know is that around the Eustachian tube in your head (the canal that connects the ear to nose) has a layer of fat around it that helps support it and allows valves in it to function properly.

Now, due in part to the pandemic and mostly to my dad breaking his leg last year in late fall (which put him out of commission for a lot of housework through the winter), I ended up losing near 40 lbs unintentionally due to the increased workload, and fairly rapidly (over about 8 months before officially weighing in, but it probably plateaued at 4-5 months). I started having mild problems with my ears always feeling full/congested, and not feeling like they were popping properly. It hit full steam about 2 months ago when I felt like I was getting an echo in my ear at the end of each sentence I finished, along with some sensitivity to loud noises.

Primary care treated it first with allergy medication since it was the beginning of the season. Didn't get better so I ended up going to the ENT, who informed me that the rapid weight loss can cause the loss of that fat support structure and cause many of those symptoms. Which frankly, is a really really annoying condition (called a patulous Eustachian tube, though there are other causes than just weight loss).

In short, losing weight is a great pursuit if you want to be a bit healthier, and I fully support it. Just be careful, don't rush things and consult your doctor first if you are going for big losses, or if you find unintentional weight loss. You never know what inadvertent harm might be going on in another part of your body.

Stay healthy, my friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7
22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Now, due in part to the pandemic and mostly to my dad breaking his leg last year in late fall (which put him out of commission for a lot of housework through the winter), I ended up losing near 40 lbs unintentionally due to the increased workload, and fairly rapidly (over about 8 months before officially weighing in, but it probably plateaued at 4-5 months). I started having mild problems with my ears always feeling full/congested, and not feeling like they were popping properly. It hit full steam about 2 months ago when I felt like I was getting an echo in my ear at the end of each sentence I finished, along with some sensitivity to loud noises.

Primary care treated it first with allergy medication since it was the beginning of the season. Didn't get better so I ended up going to the ENT, who informed me that the rapid weight loss can cause the loss of that fat support structure and cause many of those symptoms. Which frankly, is a really really annoying condition (called a patulous Eustachian tube, though there are other causes than just weight loss).

Stay healthy, my friends.

That is the oddest side-effect to weight loss I have ever heard off. I've lost a similar amount of weight in about the same time frame without any side effects aside from being more sensitive to the cold.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

That is the oddest side-effect to weight loss I have ever heard off. I've lost a similar amount of weight in about the same time frame without any side effects aside from being more sensitive to the cold.

I'll admit, I was a bit surprised myself since I didn't know there was fat anywhere near the ear, but the body doesn't discriminate when it comes to burning fat. I've lost chunks of weight before (granted not 40 lbs), and haven't had this happen. But I was younger then, and didn't have a Maltese dog with a loud, shrill bark that won't shut up if my mother isn't in the same room as him, and even then barks directly in my ear for no reason when I sit on the couch (his bark was the final straw for some symptoms that made me go see my PCP). I'm sure that has played a factor in it. Well, that and I really didn't need to lose the weight in the first place.

Doc told me he sees this quite a bit with patients who undergo gastric bypass to lose weight; said they come in complaining of the same symptoms after losing a bunch of weight. Guess I have to try to gain a bit of weight while doing some other mitigation suggestions to see if it'll go away. *sigh* And I just bought new jeans several weeks ago too... wasted money now...

• Like 3