Weight Loss Support Thread

Official Doctor's scale:  down by just over 2 lbs.

I'm a little disheartened, as I know I have been eating a lot less, and getting exercise, though not strenuous. Given my cardiovascular problems, though, I cannot do strenuous exercise at the moment, so I'm getting a little un-motivated.

Stress-eating has always been a thing for me, until the stress gets so bad eventually I get ulcers and can't eat at all... and i caught myself stress eating again this morning.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after some searching, the last time we did a weight loss support thread was over five years ago.  It didn't seem to make sense to threadomancy that since it is long out of date.  Anyway, I need to

/blows away the dust   So things have happened, jobs were gained and lost, houses moved into and new awesome jobs were gained. Diets failed and exercising failures but something happened.   My ne

welp.   I've done it.   I've lost 50 pounds. 22.7 kilos. All of the weight I gained while on meds for 7 years. It's gone. I'm back down to my college weight.   Not entire

Posted Images

Keep at it Bryan!  I was getting disheartened from not losing weight the first few weeks (like 0 pounds) and then once the weight started dropping it has kept dropping. I think when you start adding activity, it takes a little while for your body to realize it should be burning some of that fat.  It also seems to help if your exercise sessions last for at least 40 minutes, even if it is relatively light exercise.

• Like 1

So today I measured myself again and after some up and down (-1.5, +2.0, -4.6??) I'm down a new few pounds.  I think.  The point being that weight fluctuates a lot in the short term, so it can be hard to know how you're really doing for a while.  Especially since we've had a heat wave and my daily routine is pretty much shot, plus water is heavy and I've been trying to drink a lot of it.  I'm going to update my original entry, though.

• Like 1

So today I measured myself again and after some up and down (-1.5, +2.0, -4.6??) I'm down a new few pounds.  I think.  The point being that weight fluctuates a lot in the short term, so it can be hard to know how you're really doing for a while.  ...

I have a morning routine of get up, relieve myself, then take my weight. That goes into the log. I occasionally weigh myself at other times during the day (after a workout or such) but unless it is at that time it doesn't count.

• Like 2

So today I measured myself again and after some up and down (-1.5, +2.0, -4.6??) I'm down a new few pounds.  I think.  The point being that weight fluctuates a lot in the short term, so it can be hard to know how you're really doing for a while.  Especially since we've had a heat wave and my daily routine is pretty much shot, plus water is heavy and I've been trying to drink a lot of it.  I'm going to update my original entry, though.

Eight pints to a gallon. A gallon of water is almost (but not quite) eight pounds. Fluids in/out is what is doing that.

• Like 2

I'm a little disheartened, as I know I have been eating a lot less, and getting exercise, though not strenuous. Given my cardiovascular problems, though, I cannot do strenuous exercise at the moment, so I'm getting a little un-motivated.

Stress-eating has always been a thing for me, until the stress gets so bad eventually I get ulcers and can't eat at all... and i caught myself stress eating again this morning.

Keep at it Bryan! Starting is always slow, but once you get going there will be no stopping you ^_^

Mindless eating and stress eating are both really good ways to sabotage any weight loss plans.  For me, it's far too easy to eat more than I plan if I'm distracted by doing something else or deciding that I deserve XXX if I'm stressed.

Both Mindless Eating and Eat, Move, Sleep have suggestions on how to cut down on mindless eating and stress eating.  Simple suggestions are like making the "good snacks" easy to reach while the "bad snacks" hard to reach.

One study recounted in Mindless Eating was how the amount of candy consumed from a bowl varied dramatically depending on whether the bowl was in reach, required standing up to reach, or requiring a few steps to cross the hall to reach.

In any case, for me, the trick is to forgive myself for yielding to temptation and then work at being better the next time.  ::):

Ron

Edited by vutpakdi
  • Like 3

Your body's weight has a fair amount of momentum, as if your body will test you to see if you are serious about losing weight.  Also, you are probably building up muscle while losing fat, so there may not be much change at first.  You can lose the weight, Bryan!

Ron

• Like 4

Mindless eating and stress eating are both really good ways to sabotage any weight loss plans.  For me, it's far too easy to eat more than I plan if I'm distracted by doing something else or deciding that I deserve XXX if I'm stressed.

The time in my life when I was most successful in losing weight was when I had no real access to food outside of meal times. I was staying in a hostel for an entire summer, so no pantry full of food, and I was working in a potentially slightly radioactive environment, so keeping food on site was discouraged. From that I learned the only way for me to avoid eating stuff I shouldn't was to just not have it around, so it wasn't until I moved in with my wife and she kept buying junk food that I started gaining weight again.  The evil thing is that she never gains a pound.

In milestones today, I've lose enough weight to be officially 2x the weight of my pregnant wife!

• Like 3