Weight Loss Support Thread

Lots of tricks for that; primarily don't shop when hungry (have a snack beforehand, that caloric intake will save you much more down the road, it's science!) and don't buy junk food. If it's not in the house, you won't be eating it!

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I read this study (please don't ask me to cite my sources, I read most stuff when I'm tired so I don't remember where I read it) which said that calories eaten when you're stressed taken longer to work off. So if you're feeling stressed, especially over your weight or health, don't eat. Take a walk or something. Do something active to get your mind off it or lift your spirits. That way when you do eat you won't have those negative hormones swimming in your system bogging you down.

• Like 1

We don't have a scale in the house so I'm not sure how much I've lost. I've kept on cutting back on junk, and trying to eat more, healthier alternatives. I haven't been able to attend a gym for about six days now. My mother was injured by a car (cousins clumsiness) and I don't have any transportation by myself. @[email protected] hopefully she'll feel better by next week so we can start up again. Dieting is fine in my book but progress is slow when you use that by itself. @[email protected]

I find a combination to work best. What you want is a slight, constant energy deficit. That is pretty hard to attain if you just diet. And exercising without being mindful about what you eat, usually just results in your energy intake increasing to cover the energy expended on exercise.

Reasonable expectations are important too to succeed. Losing just a single pound is a lot more work than people imagine. As an example, I walk to and from work which is about 2.5 miles of walking every single day. That's great and everything and every little bit helps, but it's not something you should expect major results from fast. In total over a month, I burn 8000 kcal. That's a decent amount and if I don't increase my energy intake that means about 2.3 lbs off every month. Which is fantastic if you have reasonable expectations. If you have unreasonable expectations though you are going to be disappointed though. Some people seem to expect to lose around that weight every week or sometimes even faster, which I doubt can be done without starving yourself, which is a bad idea for many reasons.

• Like 6

Dieting is fine in my book but progress is slow when you use that by itself. @[email protected]

Slow is ok. But for the best results and a happier life, you should try to alter your overall eating habits rather than look at it as a diet. The problem with the diet mentality is that it's seen as a temporary thing, which implies it will be ok to return to the eating habits that got you to the place you were unhappy with in the first place. For me, I noticed a few bad habits I had gotten into and removed them. Difficult? Yep. Worth it? Yep.

A diet change may not give the fast results, but going on what Kim is saying, it's actually the much healthier and long-term solution. I know a guy who has done some extremely radical dieting, dropping 40 pounds in a couple months. He's unhealthy and yo-yos in weight; he's a general mess and unhappy because his chemistry is all over the place. Don't be that guy.

• Like 6

We don't have a scale in the house so I'm not sure how much I've lost. I've kept on cutting back on junk, and trying to eat more, healthier alternatives. I haven't been able to attend a gym for about six days now. ...

Congrats on getting your eating habits to change. You don't need to go to a gym to exercise, and you'll have way more success if you get into the habit of doing exercises at home rather than adding the hassle of going to the gym. Pushups (start by leaving your legs on the ground), lunges, yoga, jumping jacks, walks, jogs ... none of those need a gym. If you want more of a gym feel, some simple strength training bands are only about $20 from Amazon and my wife really likes them (they aren't long enough or enough resistance for me, but I'm over sized).

The gym is only a 5 minute drive from me, but it feels like a huge hurdle to working out, whereas simple stepping out my front door and picking up my feet for a jog just requires putting on shoes.

• Like 4

This diet I'm currently doing, though would be great for long term, I doubt I'd last long term. The goal is to use it to drop enough where exercise won't be a problem. 

How to explain this................exercising and being top heavy is hard. 

There, I said it. 

It is dang near, well not impossible, but I won't be jogging any time soon so speed walking it is. Jogging is like trying to jog with 20 lbs on your chest. It's not pleasant. There's no strap, no band, no wrap in the world that will help. (I've tried, I've searched, I've wasted money)

Lifting weights , chin ups, sit ups, etc, I swear I dang near kill myself every time.

The plan is for this diet to help me drop as much water weight as it can, hopefully decreasing me a bit in waist size and top size so I can exert more. So far, I know I've dropped nearly 20lbs with it and only a percentage from the top area.   

Starting strength exercises looks like it may be ideal for me when I can't make it to the gym via a ride. I'll have to look up some online that I can do in my tiny space of a place. 

• Like 3

Would a hometrainer (bike) be any good because the reasonably static top half of your body? Or if you cant fit one in your home you could also look into swimming, a lot of people with low muscle strength (wheelchair, so no leg strength) do that because it reduces strain due to body weight/form because of the water. Hope you find something that works for you!

• Like 3

Would a hometrainer (bike) be any good because the reasonably static top half of your body? Or if you cant fit one in your home you could also look into swimming, a lot of people with low muscle strength (wheelchair, so no leg strength) do that because it reduces strain due to body weight/form because of the water. Hope you find something that works for you!

Ooooo swimming! Hadn't given this a thought, I'll have to see is there's like a YMCA or a place that has a local pool I can go to in the mornings or something! 

A home trainer definitely wouldn't fit. Maybe if I put one in the kitchen. 

Edited by MissMelons
  • Like 5

Ooooo swimming! Hadn't given this a thought, I'll have to see is there's like a YMCA or a place that has a local pool I can go to in the mornings or something! 

A home trainer definitely wouldn't fit. Maybe if I put one in the kitchen.

Cool! Also they have foldable bikes, or just the peddle system which you can put in front of a chair! (Check amazon for peddle exerciser).

• Like 3

Our YMCA membership is $55/month for 2 adults. I'd rather pay for that than cable TV.  I think if you can't afford it, they do have assistance programs too. I'd be happy to have some of my fee help pay for others who can't afford it as easily.  We love the pool there, it is much better than even the few commercial gyms that have pools.

Addendum: Check any local Universities for pools too, they can often be accessed for reasonable fees.

Edited by falstius
  • Like 3