Weight Loss Support Thread

Ooooo swimming! Hadn't given this a thought, I'll have to see is there's like a YMCA or a place that has a local pool I can go to in the mornings or something! 

A home trainer definitely wouldn't fit. Maybe if I put one in the kitchen.

Cool! Also they have foldable bikes, or just the peddle system which you can put in front of a chair! (Check amazon for peddle exerciser).

The price for them isn't bad! Roughly 20 to 50$ depending on features!

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Rubenesque friend who was an avid swimmer, she loved it.  I've also done water aerobics and love it, less impact and more resistance training due to the water.  Only hitch is that classes tend to cost more than just swimming on your own, but I can't swim much so it was worth it to me when I did it. 

• Like 4

... I can't swim much so it was worth it to me when I did it.

My wife learned to swim just a few years ago in her early 30s. Now she swims over 1000 yards almost every day. First she had to learn to be comfortable in the water and then to move in the water and then some technique. A lot of people seem to expect to just jump in and swim like Phelps, but you have to start really simple.

• Like 3

Swimming is a wonderful low impact exercise, is great cardio, and great for building strength and uses your entire body.  There's a reason most athletes use water therapy during rehab.  One thing to be mindful of is that it is less efficient for burning fat.  The water is cold.  Your body hates losing fat when it is cold.  There is also some research that says you're more prone to try to replace the fat with extra calories consumed post swimming, so be careful.  What stroke you use makes a huge difference.  But really, any exercise is going to help.  I love swimming.

EDIT: OMG, I made a your/you're error. :blush:

• Like 4

This might sound weird (with this crowd, is that really an issue?) but at all sorts of conventions (you'd have to do homework) they have the "Merfolk" for swimming definitely unique for an experience. Cut through the water much faster, and your abs feel it the next day big time.  It completely redefines, quite literally, 'getting tail' at a convention :blink:

Please don't mod-bat me...

Edited by NomadZeke
  • Like 3

but I can't swim much so it was worth it to me when I did it.

A little off topic, but this always amazes me as in the NL we get taught how to swim in primary school (mandatory). I guess something to do with a lot of water.

Oh I had swimming lessons in elementary school.  I even had private lessons.  I'm just not very coordinated so I really only dog-paddle and tread water.  The water aerobics was perfect for me because I have bad knees.  There's no other way I can do an aerobic style work-out. 

They totally do sell monofins that look like mermaid tails, btw.  And lycra covers that cover the fin and your legs.  My 12 year old has one and is not a good enough swimmer to really know how to make it work, however.  As a result, the 6 year old got standard snorkeling fins.  I think the 6 year old might be a merfolk changeling. 

• Like 3

but I can't swim much so it was worth it to me when I did it.

A little off topic, but this always amazes me as in the NL we get taught how to swim in primary school (mandatory). I guess something to do with a lot of water.

It also might be a public safety thing considering how much of the country has been reclaimed from the sea.  Probably more effective than stationing little boys every couple of hundred yards at the dikes in case of leaks.

• Like 3

Oh I had swimming lessons in elementary school.  I even had private lessons.  I'm just not very coordinated so I really only dog-paddle and tread water.  ...

Swimming, as I teach it, is quite literally easier than walking. At least you don't have to worry about falling. If you want to do it, give it another chance. I swear some swim instructors try to teach people unenjoyable ways to swim.

• Like 1