Weight Loss Support Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but I can't swim much so it was worth it to me when I did it.

A little off topic, but this always amazes me as in the NL we get taught how to swim in primary school (mandatory). I guess something to do with a lot of water.

Oh I had swimming lessons in elementary school.  I even had private lessons.  I'm just not very coordinated so I really only dog-paddle and tread water.  The water aerobics was perfect for me because I have bad knees.  There's no other way I can do an aerobic style work-out. 

They totally do sell monofins that look like mermaid tails, btw.  And lycra covers that cover the fin and your legs.  My 12 year old has one and is not a good enough swimmer to really know how to make it work, however.  As a result, the 6 year old got standard snorkeling fins.  I think the 6 year old might be a merfolk changeling.

In British heraldry a mermaid with twinned fishy appendages is called a Melusine. (But Starbucks calls that :upside: a mermaid.)

Link to Mermaid/Melusine Picture...required...forum rules

But British Heraldry uses Mermaid / Merman for the single fin variety.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

DRINK MORE WATER.  Whatever you weigh drink half that, in oz, every day for at least a week.  For example:  I'm currently sitting at 255.  That means I need to drink at least (rounding down) 127 oz of water per day.  The bigger you are the most water weight you'll shed that way.  Granted its not fat but that drop is encouraging as hell.  After the first week you'll naturally be thirst enough to keep up that kind of intake.  The point here is to flush the toxics out of your system and get a morale boost while you do it.

127oz / 32oz cup = about 4 x 32oz cups.

Earlier in this thread I posted something about draining one of those in about 30 seconds...

...all the gals in that Weight Watchers class looked at me funny.

• Like 2

Forgot to post last week.

271 lb down from 272.

This week, 276 lb:   :blink:

I'm not sure what happened other than a lot of stress (I'm a stress eater).  I was also exercising a lot more, so some of it may be muscle gain, but still... :down:

• Like 1

Forgot to post last week.

271 lb down from 272.

This week, 276 lb:   :blink:

I'm not sure what happened other than a lot of stress (I'm a stress eater).  I was also exercising a lot more, so some of it may be muscle gain, but still... :down:

It is really difficult to see what the weight trend is if you don't weigh yourself regularly and on at scheduled times.  My weight is similar to yours and I typically see 3-5 pound swings from morning to evening. 

I think the only solution to stress eating is to just limit the amount of food available to you, and relax as much as possible.  Good luck!

Tomorrow's weekly weight day for me. Have been doing better about getting up earlier to exercise. It's harder to do when you know the First Sergeant isn't going to be making your life miserable for not going to PT. Went for 2.7 miles for my walk this morning, not as fast as I used to be but better than last week.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 3

Andrew, make sure you are weighing yourself in the same place, at the same time of day, wearing the same thing (like weigh yourself in your underwear)  so you can help eliminate other variables.

A couple pound weight swing could just be that you have recently been to the bathroom, had a meal, worked out and sweat out water weight, or rehydrated, or maybe yesterday you wore some light weight polyblend hiking shorts and this morning, you had on a pair of thick denim jeans.

And if you do a couple of those, boom, it's a swift kick in the emotional nards as you slap on 4 pounds suddenly. 

(LOL, nards autocorrects to bards.)

• Like 6

My weight bumped up a bit at the end of last week and over the weekend, but dropped for the official Monday weigh in so I am slightly less than 2x the weight of my wife having lost 17 lbs (she's gained about 25). I've run just over 171 miles (not including today's run which will be in about 40 minutes).  Status post updated!

• Like 2
  • Members

The nutritionist at work would look at me funny when I'd go to weigh in at 2pm and I'd already had 96oz of water for the day.. i can kill off ice water like nobody's business.. the problem is I do the same thing with hard cider and non craft beers

Edited by SamuraiJack
  • Like 2

Andrew, make sure you are weighing yourself in the same place, at the same time of day, wearing the same thing (like weigh yourself in your underwear)  so you can help eliminate other variables.

A couple pound weight swing could just be that you have recently been to the bathroom, had a meal, worked out and sweat out water weight, or rehydrated, or maybe yesterday you wore some light weight polyblend hiking shorts and this morning, you had on a pair of thick denim jeans.

And if you do a couple of those, boom, it's a swift kick in the emotional nards as you slap on 4 pounds suddenly. 

(LOL, nards autocorrects to bards.)

This may be TMI, but I always weigh in my undies only, as soon as I wake-up.  Technically, my official weigh-in day for this week is tomorrow morning, so I guess I was cheating a bit today.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 2