Weight Loss Support Thread

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For SCIENCE!

I once did the experiment to find out how much weight I was 'wearing'. I got a paper grocery bag and put everything in it I was going to wear that day:

Shoes / Socks

All Clothing: Shirt / Trousers / Pants / etc.

Belt, Cell Phone, Keys, Wallet

I set the bag on the scale: It totaled out to ten (10) pounds.

_____

A long time ago when I hung out with some SCAdians a couple of them weighed their chain mail hauberks. Those were anywhere from 60 to 80 pounds.

• Like 3

For SCIENCE!

I once did the experiment to find out how much weight I was 'wearing'. I got a paper grocery bag and put everything in it I was going to wear that day:

Shoes / Socks

All Clothing: Shirt / Trousers / Pants / etc.

Belt, Cell Phone, Keys, Wallet

I set the bag on the scale: It totaled out to ten (10) pounds.

_____

A long time ago when I hung out with some SCAdians a couple of them weighed their chain mail hauberks. Those were anywhere from 60 to 80 pounds.

Which is why I am always 10 lbs heavier at the doctor's than at home.

• Like 4

I weigh in at weight watchers each week.  For obvious reasons I am wearing more than my underwear!  It is also in the afternoon (but before dinner time).

I have noticed that there is fluctuation depending on when last you drank etc.

Looking at my personal scales I think I might have lost weight this week (though not much - visiting my sister and eating party food)

I think it is kind of funny that people consider Doctor's scales to be the "official weight" when for all of the reasons above it is going to have a 5 or more pound margin of error.  The doctor doesn't care if you weigh 1 lb more today than you did last time he saw you X months ago, they care if you're 10 lbs or more different. For weight tracking, at home, when you first get up, every day, bare as a baby is the way to go.

• Like 2

July was a very bad month for me to try and trim. Very very bad. I just got back from our third vacation this month, with family, where much eating out and snacking and eating of sweets while playing board games was the rule of the day, every day, for the past week. I also didn't even get a chance to touch any of my exercise tapes I brought with me; there simply wasn't time when trying to cram two weeks of vacation stuffs into a week of time.

I don't dare measure myself; my waistband is telling me everything I need to know.  :unsure:  :down:

Alright, that does it. It's time to start taking this exercising thing seriously, because this is getting ridiculous.  :angry:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 6

For SCIENCE !

According to my best estimate from my oh so reliable scale, today's weight is 201. About the same as last week.

Have you tried putting an object or objects of a known weight(s) on this scale to see how far off it might be?

Managed to do a set of twenty push-ups, then a set of twenty-five about an hour later.

Twenty-seven is my minimum.  I'd like to get up to forty or forty five before I test in September.  Definitely doable.

This afternoon, I'll test myself on sit-ups.

• Like 6

WOoo!!  Feel that burn!!

My primary source of excerise is work and kempo.  Unfortunatly my kempo sensei is no longer with the studio I'm a member of so I'll be starting Jeckel-Ryu Style Karate next week.  Might do kickboxing too if I can afford it.

I'm still getting in those air squats though!  Spontaneous pushups aren't very practical but I can squat anytime anywhere!

EDIT:  As an amusing side-note:  I am at least twice the size of any of my classmates.  They had to special order my Gi.  While I'm not any thinner than I was when I started martial arts I'm a hell of a lot faster and flexible.  If you want an idea of what Girot looks like in class...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbgLbYd2zYI

Edited by Girot
  • Like 3