Weight Loss Support Thread

Hey, after running around at a vacation spot (eating reasonable amounts of less than healthy food) I can say I'm down 3 pounds.  It's not much, but it's a start. 

Running around, laser tag, ziplining, and swimming (climbing up and down a 3-story waterslide stairway 9+ times per swimming session (4 of those)) probably helped keep the weight to a minimal loss, but kept me from gaining!

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For SCIENCE !

According to my best estimate from my oh so reliable scale, today's weight is 201. About the same as last week.

Have you tried putting an object or objects of a known weight(s) on this scale to see how far off it might be?

Might only work if the known weight is near his weight: the scale may be tuned to be more accurate withn a range.

We got a new scale this weekend. I'm 1.5 lbs heavier on the new scale compared to the old. However, a 25 lb box of cat litter is 0.7 lbs lighter on the new scale compared to the old.

So I currently like the old scale better. :;):

Ron

• Like 3

Just had to go down to the maintenance shop and use their punch awl to make a new hole in my belt. Pants were getting way too loose! Still sitting at 188 this morning. I'm ok with a little plateau here as I figure out my options for adding in some exercise.

• Like 3

Just had to go down to the maintenance shop and use their punch awl to make a new hole in my belt. Pants were getting way too loose! Still sitting at 188 this morning. I'm ok with a little plateau here as I figure out my options for adding in some exercise.

How tall are you? 188 sounds like a good number...

For SCIENCE !

According to my best estimate from my oh so reliable scale, today's weight is 201. About the same as last week.

Have you tried putting an object or objects of a known weight(s) on this scale to see how far off it might be?

Might only work if the known weight is near his weight: the scale may be tuned to be more accurate withn a range.

We got a new scale this weekend. I'm 1.5 lbs heavier on the new scale compared to the old. However, a 25 lb box of cat litter is 0.7 lbs lighter on the new scale compared to the old.

So I currently like the old scale better. :;):

Ron

I was thinking Dumb Bells and Free Weights would be ideal for the experiment----If Crunch had any.

Accuracy within a range is a good point. I used to have scales with a knob to turn so that the red needle could be adjusted back to zero (when there was no weight on top). I guess that had something to do with adjusting for temperature??

I think they might easily have shorted you 0.7 pounds of product though.

• Like 1

My obnoxious, politically incorrect and highly amusing uncle termed the phrase "flabby petite" for people who weren't big but also didn't have any muscle tone. If your goal is to be strong and healthy, that's really no better a situation than carrying around a bunch of fat and muscle.  Not that cash is flabby petite, but there is more than weight to being healthy.

• Like 3

How tall are you? 188 sounds like a good number...

I'm 5'10" and Cash is about two inches taller than me.....

I'd say he is two Corporea's tall!!

Cash my personal opinion is that you have arrived. The NIH.GOV calculator (for BMI) puts you at just barely (6 lbs) in the over weight category.

But BMI values put every NFL player in the "over weight" category:

http://imgur.com/FBFKSdB

According to the chart you are a little under weight to play safety. :upside:

I don't put much stock in the BMI formula. I think it assumes that scrawny (and only scrawny) is healthy. I think you have reached a happy spot where you could look at ways to turn 6-7 pounds of flab into 5-6 pounds muscle and be very healthy.

Another way to look at 6 pounds of extra fat is that you can survive 9 days without food were you to be stuck in some wilderness trapped in a collapsed building. ( 6 lbs. x 3500 calories per pound / 2400 calories per day = 8.75 days )

• Like 1

From what I can tell, the BMI scale was developed by the insurance industry. I think it is safe to assume that the scale has been padded generously in favor of not risking premiums that are too low.

So kinda based in science, but with a heavy dose of bias to ensure you will turn a profit when selling insurance policies based on BMI numbers.

• Like 1

5'11"

I don't pay attention to BMI.

And really, I'm only tracking weight right now because I'm not packing on any muscle. Just changing around a few bad dietary habits and dropping some conveniences (push mower instead of riding, etc).

But ideally I'd like to be a leaner, tighter 175. I have a pretty thin frame and I've been muscularly lean, so I know where I like to be. I'd imagine being 44 I'll add a few pounds for the age tax, so 180 after some toning work would be cool.

I've never been a gym person, but I've worked a ton of labor jobs. When I used to unload trucks, I was also doing some free weights, 100 sit ups every morning, and biking 10 miles every couple days. I don't see getting back into that kind of trim, as I'm not willing to spend the time to get there (I'd also like to keep painting and working on guitar chops...and sleep now and again!). So it's more of a guidepost kind of thing.

• Like 5

According to the BMI scales, I am morbidly obese I.  For my height I should be 175 lbs at most.  When I was in HS, 2 inches shorter, playing soccer year round and cycling 20 miles a day, I was 175 lbs.  My doctor told me to ignore the BMI since it doesn't support my frame, and work towards a goal of 190-200.

• Like 4

Btw, when I was at Reapercon I was classified as obese by BMI. So for those of you who met me or see any pics...that's how good that system is.

Pfft, I wouldn't put you in obese or overweight. Average weight, sure...though I guess if we're going by what the ROW consider average weight for american's then that isnt a compliment....you...dangit....how to explain.....You don't seem to have a weight problem. If the goals to get healthy, then go for it, goal to gain more muscle? go for it! But I don't think weights your issue. 

• Like 4