Weight Loss Support Thread

So there is a "frame size" calculator out there. It looks at your height and the size of your wrist (because it is said that your wrist never really increases with body fat that much). I'd be interested to know if those worked out better for you folks.

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried a frame size calculator, and determined that it gets to be added to the list of "measurement thingies which are not very helpful for me." It said I have a "small" frame.  :huh: The last time I had a small frame was when I was a kid; I think the fact that I have unusually tiny wrists is throwing it off (they're pretty freakishly small compared to the rest of me; I can actually wear bracelets sized for children  :unsure: ).

According to BMI, I'm just where I need to be for my height and age. However, according to two other measurement dealies (I forget which ones they were, I'd have to dig them out of my browsing history; I know one had me take several measuring tape measurements), I am obese and 140% more likely to die quicker than the average person.

I'm so confused.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

Again, BMI works great... for populations.  If your population as a whole has a high BMI, then you probably have an obesity problem.  If your population as a whole has a really low BMI, then there are likely issues with nutrition.  It's just doesn't work well when you're talking about individual humans with different body types.  And it pretty much entirely breaks down when you get to very tall or short people, because it goes with the square of height instead of the cube.

• Like 1

So there is a "frame size" calculator out there. It looks at your height and the size of your wrist (because it is said that your wrist never really increases with body fat that much). I'd be interested to know if those worked out better for you folks.

That's the sort of thing I am talking about.

@MrsBoot: what is your hand size? (if that is not too personal a question?) (The way they measure NFL QBs is to spread the digits out as far as possible and measure from tip of smallest finger to tip of thumb.) (My hand 'spans' about 9 3/4 )

Again, BMI works great... for populations.  If your population as a whole has a high BMI, then you probably have an obesity problem.  If your population as a whole has a really low BMI, then there are likely issues with nutrition.  It's just doesn't work well when you're talking about individual humans with different body types.  And it pretty much entirely breaks down when you get to very tall or short people, because it goes with the square of height instead of the cube.

Yep, I read a history article on it and concluded the purposes it is being put to today constitute abuse and bad science.

This is why in another thread about HealthCare one of my bullet points was 'forbid medical professionals and insurance carriers from using BMI to measure individuals' and expunge all data they might have. Or something like that.

• Like 1

@MrsBoot: what is your hand size? (if that is not too personal a question?) (The way they measure NFL QBs is to spread the digits out as far as possible and measure from tip of smallest finger to tip of thumb.) (My hand 'spans' about 9 3/4 )

lol I've actually got largish hands for a lady: My span as specified above is 8" exactly. Or, to put it another way, my hand spans an octave on a piano.  ^_^ Very useful, that.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 1

If they found a way to work body fat % into the formula it would probably be fine

The problem as i understand it is that most methods of calculating body fat have problems as well...especially the esier ones we can do at home. I had the impedance ( i think?) type on a scale at home to monitor change, but relied on caliper checks made by a professional compared to charts.i never tried the water displacement method, but i imagine i could mess with that fairly easily with lung manipulation.

And it pretty much entirely breaks down when you get to very tall or short people, because it goes with the square of height instead of the cube.

This isn't entirely true.  Weight only goes with height cubed if your width and depth increase linearly with height, which they don't. If your width and depth are constant, then weight is linear with height which is what BMI assumes.  In reality, it should be something more than a linear but less than a cubic dependence.  And then you can linearize the curve over a smallish range of heights. But it certainly breaks down for many people who are outliers. 

So don't sweat the labels and 5% of weight here and there, but it is good to have some kind of simple, quantitative guide of what is a good weight. I remember an NPR story about the least-healthy county in the US which was in Missouri.  Everyone was at least 100 lbs over weight and didn't see any problem with it.  The only "fat" people were 400 lbs or more over weight. Something like BMI would say, "No really, you need to lose weight". 

• Like 2

So I've finally joined the modern world with a smart phone. It's a Samsung and comes loaded with a pretty decent fitness app, S Health. Tracks all kinds of stuff, I'm running the pedometer and I'm going to attempt to track meals for a few days, just to get a general idea if there are any gaps in my awareness. My ex used the Weight Watchers online tool which was pretty decent for getting a feel for planning meals (I did all the cooking) and balancing things out through the week.

Also tracking my weight, so I get a nice little graph and whatnot.

187.6 this morning! Nice surprise after gorging on caprese salad last night, first tomatoes out of the garden!

• Like 3

I've switched to eating smaller amounts several times a day. Trying to see if that'll help kickstart the ol' metabolism. I've also been doing much better about exercising daily.

The scale? Buying a new one this weekend. Done putzing around with it.

• Like 5

As for indicators for my personal health, I try to be aware of my body and especially I try to notice when restrictions first pop up.

Examples: around the time of RCon 2014 I noticed it had become strenuous to tie my shoes. The belly was getting in the way and it was the first time I had experienced this. That motivated me to get serious about losing weight. I have also mentioned my knees which are also good indicators.

Overall I want to be able to experience the world and if putting on shoes is a chore, I am less likely to do that.

Other things I have noticed is that I sometimes reject my kids' activity proposals not because I do not want to, but because it would be physically hard for me to participate. Last summer my company did a social event where we went through an obstacle course. It was very very difficult for me, while a lot of people far older than me seemed less challenged.

All of those things, far more than my weight or BMI does, suggest to me that I am obese and in poor shape. This is what motivates me and it is my true metric of progress.

When I started the abs challenge 20 seconds of planking was hard work. A month later I was doing 2 minutes of planking.

Edited by vejlin
  • Like 5

I was up in maine for the last week. Didn't really do bunk for running, however, I like to think all the hiking and swimming helped supplement...of course I've not weighed myself recently either as, like many, I tend to pig out a tad on vacation....

• Like 1