Weight Loss Support Thread

I've switched to eating smaller amounts several times a day. Trying to see if that'll help kickstart the ol' metabolism. I've also been doing much better about exercising daily.

The scale? Buying a new one this weekend. Done putzing around with it.

How did the scale work out? Hopefully, you were too busy having fun on your birthday to find out.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My weight was bouncing all around this weekend (from 250 to 245) due to the high humidity.  I spent Saturday removing a shrub and its massive stump, which was great upper body exercise, and then Sunday night I had a half bottle of wine and 16 oz of steak, so my weight is up a tad until that is "processed".  Still did okay, down a pound to just under 249 since last Monday and I can feel that I'll probably drop down to 248 again tomorrow.  It helped that I knew I was going to eat massive amounts of beef and so I went very light on breakfast and lunch so that I only blew my calorie budget by a little yesterday.  I need to get back to 2 pounds of loss per week though, only about 5 weeks left until my deadline and 8 or 9 more pounds to go.

I've updated my tracking post.

• Like 3

I've switched to eating smaller amounts several times a day. Trying to see if that'll help kickstart the ol' metabolism. I've also been doing much better about exercising daily.

The scale? Buying a new one this weekend. Done putzing around with it.

How did the scale work out? Hopefully, you were too busy having fun on your birthday to find out.

Not really, but I didn't get the scale either. Will be stopping for one on the way home tonight. Did go crazy on cake or anything either. Matter of fact, we never even cut the cake.

• Like 3

Ate so much this weekend, and drank a decent amount of beer (for me, I don't drink much). Still sitting at 186.4 this morning, but the belt is a bit tight.

I did do a bunch of yardwork, including putting up a face cord of wood that's been under a tarp that got demolished by the hail storm, so the wood was all soaked (read: heavy). They call it 'waterlogged' for a reason!

• Like 5

Updated my progress post: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/55609-weight-loss-support-thread/?p=916393

My weight has stabilized around 240-241, which I am actually pretty happy about since it is vacation time and my ambitions have been dialled down to just not gaining weight. I still have two more weeks of vacation, so I may still stumble.

• Like 3

Ok, pound o' steak has been processed, back down to 248.  I had a really good run Monday (6.6/mph, 9:10 min/mi, fastest long run yet), and then last night my thighs and hips were hurting after a fairly slow, fairly short run. Just because I FEEL good after a run where I really push myself, doesn't mean I didn't push myself too hard.

Wow.  I had a meeting cancelled so I ended up spending the time reading this entire thread (I didn't see it before).  What I read was very inspiring.

I have always struggled with my weight.  I come from a family who are all "big boned".  Also, every occasion is marked with food and, being German, that resulted in large portions of meat.  We got treats when we did well.  We got treats when we were sad.  Basically, food was a sign of love.

This past year, my mom and I have switched to a mostly vegan lifestyle.  I say mostly because it is hard to find the appropriate food when traveling and I will have a small portion of meat if I am visiting someone's house and they have cooked it.  However, more often than not, we don't consume animal products.

The reason we made this choice is that my mom is on a lot of medication for blood pressure and cholesterol.  This was getting her down - especially when my father passed away from complications along a similar path.  Her doctor suggested that she look at a mostly vegetarian/vegan diet.  Studies have shown people being able to normalize their blood through this sort of diet.  She was not too keen on the suggestion but, after I said that I would go this route as well, she agreed to at least try.  This was back in January.  After only 6 weeks, he doctor did her blood testing and already saw significant results - enough to lower her medication dosage.  By April, she had her dosage lowered again and she is off the cholesterol medication entirely since last week!

Was/is it hard?  Sure it is.  We ate a lot of meat and, being a foodie, I love variety.  However, even with "cheat" meals, it has made an impact on both our health.  I've reduced my blood pressure and have lost weight without really trying too hard. 

I do need to lose more weight.  I need to increase my exercise level and concentrate on getting into better shape.  My life is very busy and stressful.  If I don't start taking care of myself, I won't be able to accomplish what I want in life.

So, thanks everyone for the inspiration.  I will officially measure August 1st and start this journey with you.

If momentum can be kept up, I think we will have to arrange an evening walk/hike at ReaperCon next year!

• Like 9