Weight Loss Support Thread

If momentum can be kept up, I think we will have to arrange an evening walk/hike at ReaperCon next year!

I'm game!  That was the worst thing about the con was coming down to TX from the bitter cold north and sitting in the bitter cold hotel the whole time.

• Like 2
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.  I had a meeting cancelled so I ended up spending the time reading this entire thread (I didn't see it before).  What I read was very inspiring.

I have always struggled with my weight.  I come from a family who are all "big boned".  Also, every occasion is marked with food and, being German, that resulted in large portions of meat.  We got treats when we did well.  We got treats when we were sad.  Basically, food was a sign of love.

This past year, my mom and I have switched to a mostly vegan lifestyle.  I say mostly because it is hard to find the appropriate food when traveling and I will have a small portion of meat if I am visiting someone's house and they have cooked it.  However, more often than not, we don't consume animal products.

The reason we made this choice is that my mom is on a lot of medication for blood pressure and cholesterol.  This was getting her down - especially when my father passed away from complications along a similar path.  Her doctor suggested that she look at a mostly vegetarian/vegan diet.  Studies have shown people being able to normalize their blood through this sort of diet.  She was not too keen on the suggestion but, after I said that I would go this route as well, she agreed to at least try.  This was back in January.  After only 6 weeks, he doctor did her blood testing and already saw significant results - enough to lower her medication dosage.  By April, she had her dosage lowered again and she is off the cholesterol medication entirely since last week!

Was/is it hard?  Sure it is.  We ate a lot of meat and, being a foodie, I love variety.  However, even with "cheat" meals, it has made an impact on both our health.  I've reduced my blood pressure and have lost weight without really trying too hard. 

I do need to lose more weight.  I need to increase my exercise level and concentrate on getting into better shape.  My life is very busy and stressful.  If I don't start taking care of myself, I won't be able to accomplish what I want in life.

So, thanks everyone for the inspiration.  I will officially measure August 1st and start this journey with you.

If momentum can be kept up, I think we will have to arrange an evening walk/hike at ReaperCon next year!

Great news about your Mom's medication, sorry about your Dad though. This year at the Con I did a couple laps around the outer perimeter of the parking lot after breakfast. I wasn't going very fast as I was also using it as an opportunity to talk to my wife on the phone before getting into the day's activities. I'd be glad for company and a faster pace (though maybe before breakfast) next year.

I'd be more up for a swim, honestly. Although we did do a few hikes...to the restaurants!

Lol. Yes we did. I did pretty well ordering except for the amazing craft beers we found. The hotel location offered so much variety in walk walking distance.

• Like 1

Dropped another 4 lbs. Its showing a bit more. This makes nearly 30lbs lost I think, since march. It could be better, but progress is progress. Some things fit better than before and my appetite is weird. I'm freaking starving after working out but since I started back on my anti anxiety medicine, its easier to manage my appetite. I don't need as much sleep, getting up at 5am is loads easier and I'm steadily just starting to feel better.

• Like 10

Congrats MissMelons!

I'm down for a hike in 2015.

I had a bit of a backslide, but I'm not letting that deter me.  Actually its motivating the hell outta me to try harder!   :poke:

One of the big factors in this whole weight loss thing is not drinking one's calories, which typically means alcohol and soda.  Soda is easy but I like my fire water.   :rolleyes:

• Like 3

After a very bad week...  I'm stable at my current weight.  Not a loss, but not a gain.  I have a few days off of work, which is all yard work (almost all done), and building an exterior wall at my house.  Busy times.

• Like 2

Shaved a pound off last week. I have no idea how I'm making it through the weekends without packing anything on. Sitting at 185.4 this morning.

Started a long-overdue project to overhaul my basement, which was a bit overwhelming because I also have to overhaul my garage and den...so I had to break it down into about 700 steps and figure out where to start. Eventually I'll rough-finish the basement and that will give me a bar/music room with enough room to set up my bench and do a bit of lifting to tighten up a bit.

• Like 2

Yeah, despite the nearly 1000 calories of junk food consumed during Sunday game days (3 beers plus snack food is a lot of calories) I manage to not slide too much on the weekend.  Official Monday morning weigh in was 245.6 with over 200 miles of running.  I've lost a little over 24 lbs since this started.

Just keep putting in the bits and pieces into your daily routine to keep the momentum building, that's the important thing.

I received permission to begin riding my bicycle again. 

It is the only form of exercise I enjoy (jogging, aerobics, etc being badwrongyuck).  The only hard part is August-September tend to be blisteringly hot and risky for the out-of shape, but by the time I'm in enough shape to go for the kind of time where heat stroke is a risk, I should be at decreased risk for it anyway, being in better shape and more well-hydrated.