Weight Loss Support Thread

MM, definitely stick with balancing out meals through the day to keep the metabolism humming along.

One meal a day and the earlier talk of calorie starvation leads to building stores of fat as the body tries to compensate for your lack of proper regular fuel.

The pound I put on after gorging with my dad at the local awesome restaurant has been hanging on the last couple days. I'm worried now because I just hit up an awesome little place serving up 6 belgian styles on tap. On the upside, I won the trivia contest so came out ahead on the evening monetarily. And I witnessed (ok participated in) the most amazing bar argument I've seen in ages, over a few points of minutiae of the Revolution with at least one history teacher in the crowd as well as a museum guide who was dressed in full revolutionary garb (it's the anniversary of the battle of Oriskany and I was in Oriskany, so it's not as odd as it sounds).

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you get to try all six? The Publick House in Brookline has a bunch of Belgians and really good mussles with fries. I've been meaning to take the T there some time so that I can try them all. Maybe that will be my reward for hitting my target weight.

Im so proud of you MM, the signs of hunger because of regular meals mean your metabolism is finally booting up and burning calories instead of storing them!

Thanks. ^_^ its a strange feeling, hunger. My body was used to just storing everything. Once working out became more consistent, I HAD to eat. I always feel like I'm starving after I work out. Instead of gorging on breakfast though at 6am, I'll drink my second liter of water of the say so far, a small protein shake and then eat something at 8 or 9.

I've got mixed nuts to nibble on, single serve veggies, The Mr drives me nuts when he drinks my v8s but I've got water so its alright. @[email protected] I'm hoping that since my metabolism is torturing me now that I should manage and drop weight a bit faster. I'm going at about half a pound to a pound a week. Two pounds in a good week.

If it stays boosted this way, I keep up with my vitamins, work outs and seriously do this keto thing then I should be able to drop 10 to 12 a month. Not consistently, since I'll hit that rough patch if I drop another 40lbs, then the groaning, chocolate yearnings kick in. The weight I'll initially drop will be super easy to put back if I'm not careful.

Its also not good for me to drop it that fast, I'm aware, but I've dropped it faster than that before. (Long story) let's just say I went from cute chubby to a noticeable six pack in three months. Wish I was that young again. @[email protected] stupid teenager abilities!!!

/come on smaller corset, go go go go go.

• Like 7

I am trying to drop weight by living in a way I can live long term. If you do some extraordinary change to your life to drop a bunch of weight and then go back to your old ways because it isn't sustainable, you'll just be back where you started with even more stress on your body. I think for me, this time, weight loss is about developing healthy habits that I can maintain forever. I will cut down to 3 runs a week once I hit my target because too much running is bad for the joints, but I can bike or swim or walk instead. I'm enjoying my current eating practices though and can keep them and stabilize at 200 or so pounds.

• Like 5

MM, definitely stick with balancing out meals through the day to keep the metabolism humming along.

One meal a day and the earlier talk of calorie starvation leads to building stores of fat as the body tries to compensate for your lack of proper regular fuel.

Just a quick comment on this - several recent studies have shown that you need to miss food for at least 72 hours before the metabolism begins to slow in response; so intermittent fasting / skipping meals can be effective, particularly if you work out at the end of a fast period, when your glycogen stores are depleted.

@[email protected] that has never worked for me Lovejoy.

The last time I binge dropped weight, it took four years and three months of prednisone to get my chubby gears rolling. (I had chipmunk cheeks, it was 'adorable'). /sarcasm After that, when I couldn't drop weight after the prednisone I gave up and let it get out of control. I have to drop this weight for school and am more likely to keep it at bay with a more active lifestyle and work that currently cannot be achieved in my weight..class? I used to ride bikes every day, the thought of getting on one now makes me feel bad for the bike. @[email protected]

• Like 1

I don't think it's really meant as binge weight loss, to be honest - the intermittent fasting thing isn't about cutting out loads of calories.

It's more a matter of fasting for 24hrs, a couple of times a week. Which isn't as hard as it sounds, if you go from after the evening meal one day to the next evening meal - you are effectively just skipping breakfast and lunch twice a week, but eating normally the rest of the time. So it's like an overall reduction of 2 to 3 thousand calories a week, but it also allows for glycogen depletion, which helps you get better fat burning from your workout.

I agree, binge weight loss is never a good idea; you're just sacrificing muscle mass that way. But intermittent fasting does seem to be effective; I dropped 4 inches off my waist last year doing it. It does make the workout feel like a real hard slog though, having no energy available for it...

• Like 2

**YMWV: I am waiting patiently to feel hungry. Didn't eat any breakfast / didn't feel hungry. Lunch has come and gone / no hungry feeling.   :wacko:   It has been  <stops to do maths>  13 hours since I had any food.  I have heard this makes other people hungry... :unsure: ...just waiting patiently.

I have actually discovered that I don't tend to feel hungry during the day if I don't eat breakfast. However, if I eat something in the morning, even if it's just half a bowl of cold cereal, 2-3 hours later my stomach wakes up and demands to be fed! Which I've had to teach myself is actually a good thing; I've struggled with skipping breakfast all the time in the past, and I have to keep reminding myself that it's not good for me.

Just a quick comment on this - several recent studies have shown that you need to miss food for at least 72 hours before the metabolism begins to slow in response; so intermittent fasting / skipping meals can be effective, particularly if you work out at the end of a fast period, when your glycogen stores are depleted.

It's important to prepare properly for fasting if you do it often. I fast once a month for religious reasons, and I have definitely found that if I don't eat a good, reasonably nutritious dinner the day before, I'm tired and shaky and light-headed the next day. So I've found that there's more to it than just skipping meals, the meals one does have should be properly balanced too. :)

I haven't been measuring my progress, mostly because I realized that I keep measuring in slightly different places with my tape measure, which makes a surprisingly big difference in the numbers. I do seem to have trimmed at least a wee bit, though, since I'm able to squeeze into my biggest pair of jeans again. I recently got an Accu-Measure caliper fat measuring thingy, though, so I'll see if that's a better way for me to track my progress. I've been doing very poorly on the exercise front, but I have been focusing on eating healthy and drinking plenty of fluids, which seems to be helping at least a little. Baby steps! :)

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 5

Good morning (or whenever you are reading this post),

I started on August 1st with the following stats:

Height 5'11"

Weight 280lbs

Age 44

A week later, I am down to 271lbs - my height and weight stayed mostly the same :)

The changes I made to my life is downloading two apps for my phone.  The first is MyFitnessPal.  This helped me keep track of my food, water and exercise levels.  It is amazing how being aware can really change your habits.  I'm a casual eater.  I eat when I'm bored, when I'm sad or when I'm happy.  I am trying to be conscious of my eating choices and when I decide to eat.

One of the big changes I made is in my breakfast.  I found that I was drinking a significant portion of my calories in juice.  Instead, I've switched to more water and fresh fruit.  I still get the taste with a reduction in calories.

The second app I downloaded is Pacer.  It keeps tracks of steps and syncs with MyFitnessPal.  I found that it has made walking/exercise a game for me and that I'm challenging myself to get higher "scores".  I can't wait for GenCon next week as I will be doing a LOT of walking. 

Thanks again to everyone who keeps sharing on this thread.  It is really inspiring to me and helping me make some changes that will greatly improve my quality of life.  I am so grateful to my Reaper family :)

• Like 6