Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

OK, I'm not exactly sure what happened or how it happened as my patterns haven't really changed, but the other day I got on the scale and it was at 188!!  I've also observed a noticable drop in the size of my gut. The only thing I can think of is stress. I've had some big...issues...lately. Whatever the reason though, I've started doing better about not flaking out on my exercises so hopefully I can accellerate this trend.

• Like 3

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thread arise!!!

Ok, well it's been a while, but I've been good and figure that a little motivation around the Holidays won't hurt.  Plus it gets everyone ready for the New Years resolution phase.

As of this morning

Start: July 1, 2014

Height: 5'11"

Goal: 165 lbs (variable depending on muscle gains), better fitting clothes, improved PFA scores.

Starting Weight: 185

Current Weight: 173.4 (as of 12/22/14)

My PFA score remained neutral, no better, no worse.  Still don't have a consistent exercise (I am lazy) but food intake has been much more reasonable.

I meant to weigh myself today, but forgot due to waking up an hour early to take a friend to the airport.  I'm sure I'm still 235 +/- half a pound though. No weight gain or loss for the last 4 months, which I guess is a good thing after losing 35 pounds over the summer.

• Like 1

Thread arise!!!

[...]

My PFA score remained neutral, no better, no worse. Still don't have a consistent exercise (I am lazy) but food intake has been much more reasonable.

I thought everybody had given up.

What is a PFA score? Navy thing?

The Xmas Pestilence has knocked five pounds off of me. I can't recommend it as a weight loss regimen. <_<

• Like 1

Start: January 2014

Height: 5'8"

Goal: 190 lbs 

Starting Weight: ? (will check) 

Current Weight: 204.5 (as of 12/31/14)

Fitness Goal:  Run 500 miles 

- result: 483 miles. 

- best month November =60.5 miles 

You've got a few hours to go right?  17 miles is only about 3 hours, get started!

• Like 1

Thread arise!!!

[...]

My PFA score remained neutral, no better, no worse. Still don't have a consistent exercise (I am lazy) but food intake has been much more reasonable.

I thought everybody had given up.

What is a PFA score? Navy thing?

The Xmas Pestilence has knocked five pounds off of me. I can't recommend it as a weight loss regimen. <_<

Yep, Navy Physical Fitness Assessment.  A height/weight measurement to determine if you are under the max allowed body fat (if you don't make weight for your height, then you get roped and choked; waist/neck measurements which are then plugged into a formula to determine body fat) and then a physical fitness test that consists of situps, pushups and a cardio event (run, swim, elliptical or bike).  Affectionately (not really) known as the run, jump and puke.

Thread arise!!!

Ok, well it's been a while, but I've been good and figure that a little motivation around the Holidays won't hurt.  Plus it gets everyone ready for the New Years resolution phase.

As of this morning

Goal: 165 lbs (variable depending on muscle gains), better fitting clothes, improved PFA scores.

Current Weight: 173.4 (as of 12/22/14)

My PFA score remained neutral, no better, no worse.  Still don't have a consistent exercise (I am lazy) but food intake has been much more reasonable.

Current Weight: 172.0 (as of 12/31/14)

So let's see: down 13 lbs, not really in much better shape (am lazy and now I am sick, must work on this in the coming year), clothes fit a little better (though I did get new jeans with an inch larger waist as I only had two of my old ones that didn't try and kill me putting them on) and the PFA scores didn't rally change.  Overall, while I'm not ecstatic, it's good to see some progress.  Goal for the New Year is to continue to watch the food intake and increase the exercise (once I get rid of this cough that is).

So we want to keep going with this thread or start fresh with a new one for the New Year?

I'm still at 235, weight has barely budged since labor day. But I just finished a 10 mile run at better than a 10 min/mile pace so I'm happy with the overall fitness gain since I can go for runs with my wife without her leaving me in dust after the first 100 yds. Today was my 100th run since starting my weight loss challenge this summer.

• Like 2

Start: January 2014

Height: 5'8"

Goal: 190 lbs 

Starting Weight: ? (will check) 

Current Weight: 204.5 (as of 12/31/14)

Fitness Goal:  Run 500 miles 

- result: 483 miles. 

- best month November =60.5 miles 

You've got a few hours to go right?  17 miles is only about 3 hours, get started!

Nope gotta paint - and you know watch the kids.  I got Mini Spawn to finally sleep and painted my first Sky/Earth NNM.  I'm not sure which I am happier with. 

• Like 2

I'm still at 235, weight has barely budged since labor day. But I just finished a 10 mile run at better than a 10 min/mile pace so I'm happy with the overall fitness gain since I can go for runs with my wife without her leaving me in dust after the first 100 yds. Today was my 100th run since starting my weight loss challenge this summer.

Nice work on the speed Falstius! 

I managed my 4 mile run at the same speed, but can't do 10. 

Remember to by new running shoes often.   Nothing tears up your knees like running in bad shoes, as heavier runners we have to be more careful than others. 

• Like 2

I've run 430 miles split between two pairs of shoes, one at home one at the office. My wife bought me two pairs of Newtons (Gravity for short office runs, Distance for long home runs) and I really like them compared to other shoes I've tried for running.

One piece of guidance I read from some coach is to take faster shorter strides. It is meant for everyone but really seems important for tall people who are inclined to over extend their strides to take advantage of their height.

Of course the other guidance, from the "run less run faster" people actually, is that running is not a good idea for weight loss and you shouldn't do it if you are more then 30 lbs overweight. I pretty much started with energetic walks though and slowly built up to jogging. Next year I'll work on really running, under 8 minute miles for several miles.

• Like 3

• Members

I always suspected my weight problems were related to an endocrine problem.  Finally changed doctors and got some tests done.  Turns out my testosterone is about half of what is considered minimum.. I've been on replacement for a week now and have already dropped 5 pounds..

• Like 6