Weight Loss Support Thread

Ok, I am in on this too.

Start date: Jan 1 2013

Height 5' 6"

Starting weight: 280 lb

Goal: 180 lb, loosing 0.5 lb a week

Now: 260 lb

Yeah I know I should be using metric, being Norwegian and all, but I am living in the States and my scale is in pounds :-p

I did great last year, I lost 20 pounds just tracking my eating using MyFitnessPal, but this year I have not gotten anywhere. Didn't help I got a flare up and had to go back on prednisone. That stuff makes me want to eat anything in sight, sigh.

• Like 3
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after some searching, the last time we did a weight loss support thread was over five years ago.  It didn't seem to make sense to threadomancy that since it is long out of date.  Anyway, I need to

/blows away the dust   So things have happened, jobs were gained and lost, houses moved into and new awesome jobs were gained. Diets failed and exercising failures but something happened.   My ne

welp.   I've done it.   I've lost 50 pounds. 22.7 kilos. All of the weight I gained while on meds for 7 years. It's gone. I'm back down to my college weight.   Not entire

Posted Images

I just did the "initial test" for the push up challenge and did 12.  Could have done one or two more but I have meetings after lunch and it wouldn't make a difference for the next stage.  Starting on Monday I've got 50 push-ups to do over 5 sets.

• Like 1

@Thes  :down:   Although knowledge is power, right?

One thing in my favor is that since I started chemo meds back in February my appetite is much less than it used to be. 

I can't possibly "Like" that comment.  I hope you're feeling well soon. 

I did great last year, I lost 20 pounds just tracking my eating using MyFitnessPal, but this year I have not gotten anywhere. Didn't help I got a flare up and had to go back on prednisone. That stuff makes me want to eat anything in sight, sigh.

Prednisone makes me scream at my children for trivial reasons.  I'd rather it just made me eat.  :down:

I've started actually using my pedometer again.  Yesterday I was below 3000 steps, AKA "sedentary".  The day before I was over 4000.  Obviously I need to figure out how to not spend so much time driving places, I tend to walk more doing housework than I do on many outings. 

• Like 1

Why I write things down.... that I notice that I drank 1/2 of a 2L of Mountain Dew, all by myself last night.  :down:

IMO, when you're working on behavior modification, you need to concentrate on the next decision, not obsess about the last decision. A choice you regret is a setback, not a defeat.

• Like 7

I've started actually using my pedometer again.  Yesterday I was below 3000 steps, AKA "sedentary".  The day before I was over 4000.  Obviously I need to figure out how to not spend so much time driving places, I tend to walk more doing housework than I do on many outings. 

On your outings, you could park as further than ideal.  Or, alternately, park close, but then walk the long way around to get to where you are going but then the most direct route when you are returning (with packages).

At work, I park at the closer garage, but then I walk the long way to my office so that I work in an extra 10 min of walking each day without thinking about it.  At the end of the day, I tend to take the more direct route because I'm tired and want to get home.  At lunch, my friend and I take a 15 or so min walk around the campus.  During the day, I tend to walk to the restroom that is further away from my office and take the long route just to work in a little extra walking.

The key thing for me is to sneak in some activity here and there so that it's pretty easy for me to hit 10-11k steps a day without too much effort.

Ron

• Like 4

On your outings, you could park as further than ideal.  Or, alternately, park close, but then walk the long way around to get to where you are going but then the most direct route when you are returning (with packages).

At work, I park at the closer garage, but then I walk the long way to my office so that I work in an extra 10 min of walking each day without thinking about it.  At the end of the day, I tend to take the more direct route because I'm tired and want to get home.  At lunch, my friend and I take a 15 or so min walk around the campus.  During the day, I tend to walk to the restroom that is further away from my office and take the long route just to work in a little extra walking.

The key thing for me is to sneak in some activity here and there so that it's pretty easy for me to hit 10-11k steps a day without too much effort.

Ron

This is exactly my plan to move my sedentary a$$ more. Instead of getting off at the bus stop (don't own a car) right near my house I'll get off (and on) the one 5-6 blocks away. Keep moving it further and further away and I could eventually be walking to work! (Unlikely as it would take about 90 minutes to walk it and I just can get up that early!). Good idea on the lunch break walk too - I usually just sit and read but I have tons of audiobooks I can listen to while walking around my workplace.

Prednisone makes me scream at my children for trivial reasons.  I'd rather it just made me eat.  :down:

Of all of the medications I took while recovering from transplant surgery 11 years ago prednisone was easily the nastiest most vile stuff I have ever had - I have never had a med so screw up my thinking and emotions like that did. I could not wait to get off of it permanently.

• Like 3

I really, really tried to walk more.  I did park at the far end of the parking lot (in the shade, so bonus!) and I had planned to walk to multiple locations as well, but kids are sloooow.  It took so long at destination #1 I gave up and skipped the rest. 

The real illusion is that I tend to think I'm resting at home.  But because I'm a stay at home mom, being at home tends to involve a lot of puttering around.  So I might not be walking at speed, but that 20 minute car ride somewhere else is time I'm not moving at all.  It takes some serious walking to make up for the driving time, apparently. 

Which is why I'm wearing the pedometer.  Because while it's not perfect, it's more scientific than going based on how I feel. 

I'm going to jump in on this as well. Haven't weighed myself in a while, but I know I'm at my heaviest ever. Have gone through cycles like a lot of folks where I'll eat right and work out religiously, lose a bunch of weight and then suddenly quit and go right back up.  :wacko: Last time I was seriously working out I had lost about 30 lbs and was putting on a lot of muscle at the same time doing a lot of free weights, this was about 3 years ago now... 

Start date: July 4, 2014
Height: 5' 11"
Starting weight:  262
Goal: 200 lb, loosing 0.5 lb - 1.0 lbs/week

ETA:

Just talked to the wife, we are going to hit the gym starting tomorrow morning!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 3

Well that sucked, hit a mud patch when running today, left ankle goes funny, skid, scratch up hands trying to stop.

...maybe I'll go buy the 5e box set to make me feel better

Ouch! A nice 5e box set may help you feel better. ^_^

• Like 2

Did an hour and a half at the gym today. I'm not quite as bad as I thought I would be so the first 60lbs should be fast and easy to drop.

good job!

Well that sucked, hit a mud patch when running today, left ankle goes funny, skid, scratch up hands trying to stop.

...maybe I'll go buy the 5e box set to make me feel better

sympathy like and yeah that 5e box kit would make you feel better, or 20 more figures....

• Like 2