Weight Loss Support Thread

I've perfected my own recipe for flavored olive oil and came up with a recipe for bison sliders that are as addictive as crack cocaine.  I should never have learned to cook.

On the plus side?  The ride to obesity is going to be sooooo sweet!

• Like 7
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, after some searching, the last time we did a weight loss support thread was over five years ago.  It didn't seem to make sense to threadomancy that since it is long out of date.  Anyway, I need to

/blows away the dust   So things have happened, jobs were gained and lost, houses moved into and new awesome jobs were gained. Diets failed and exercising failures but something happened.   My ne

welp.   I've done it.   I've lost 50 pounds. 22.7 kilos. All of the weight I gained while on meds for 7 years. It's gone. I'm back down to my college weight.   Not entire

Posted Images

I feel you. 1,500 a bottle (roughly). Between that and hard cider, I was drinking enough calories to sustain a small family.

Err, my 750 ml bottle of 100 proof whiskey is supposedly 2000 calories. Also, apparently alcohol inhibits fat burning so I'll have to finish the bottle sparingly.
Does anyone else find it worrisome that alcohol is exempt from nutrition labeling regulations, even from a simple ingredients list? There is no way to know what you are drinking, let alone how many calories it contains.
Not really. If I were that concerned about it I probably wouldn't be drinking to begin with.

Apparently this was a bad week for me to start. Been mostly good about sugar intake and drinking more water, not so much on the exercise.

Edited by Sergeant_Crunch
  • Like 4

I've been reasonably good about the food intake (& water intake).

I've written everything down which is how I know I've been into my Junk Food points for 2 out of 4 days... however I still have over half my junk food points left which is a bonus.

I have not been good with the exercise.  I need to get better at that because its only if I'm moving more that I'm losing more.

• Like 3

Yesterday I ate an entire Pizza (with tea). That was the only thing I ate. (An online calculator puts it at about 3200 calories though.)

Today, I have had one Peanut Butter and Apricot preserves sandwich (with water). It was a 2am snack so I could take meds...but I guess I could call it breakfast...

:unsure:

...that was twelve hours ago. Conventional wisdom says I should be hungry by now. But no dice. Not hungry at all. :upside:

Edit: I added a stop at a tex-mex fast food joint later Sunday. According to online nutrition listings for that chain I had an 1191 calorie meal ---- adding an estimated 520 for the sandwich left Sunday's total at 1711 calories.

______

I once read something about former General D.H. Petraeus --- just a small detail about him. He made a habit of just eating one meal a day and had done so for years. I seem to have fallen into a similar pattern without even trying. This is puzzling.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

I'm kind of on a fitness track, sort of. Generally want to be in better shape more than anything.

I was 205 at Reapercon, two weeks ago I was 196. This morning the scale said 187 (though by afternoon I managed to get back over 190, hah). I think it was the extra bbq short rib and Ommegang Witte I had in celebration...

• Like 5

Woot, I used the stationary bike twice in two days, now I just need to keep that momentum going.

I find that having a firm goal, like "Run every weekday" is much easier to keep than something like "exercise 3 days a week" because it is too easy to make an excuse for why you're not going to do it today.

• Like 1

I've noticed that with my fitness pal I am typically under my 1500 calorie limit by at least 500 most days. @[email protected] I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I'm not entirely fond of how it increases my potential calorie intake when I work out. I had one day where I went from 1500 to nearly 3000 because of the time I spent at the gym. @[email protected] I'm not sure what any of that means.

• Like 1

I've noticed that with my fitness pal I am typically under my 1500 calorie limit by at least 500 most days.

You might want to check with a dietitian for this, sometime eating too little calories can mean your "engine" isnt properly started and you are running in a different calorie burning mode (because your body thinks you're starving). I had a friend once who had to eat double what he usually did and finally started losing weight  :wacko: 

• Like 3

I've noticed that with my fitness pal I am typically under my 1500 calorie limit by at least 500 most days.

You might want to check with a dietitian for this, sometime eating too little calories can mean your "engine" isnt properly started and you are running in a different calorie burning mode (because your body thinks you're starving). I had a friend once who had to eat double what he usually did and finally started losing weight :wacko:

I've been this way a looking time and could never figure out why I don't lose weight or in some cases, why I don't gain. I'll ask my doctor for a good dietician, though she's terrible with....bedside manner. First time I met her she goes "Oh....you are fat." Yes...yes I know this. @[email protected] she's brilliant though so meh.

Maybe a low calorie diet won't work for me after all. I never thought it could be an engine problem. I wonder what that means for me. @[email protected]

• Like 3

You might want to check with a dietitian for this, sometime eating too little calories can mean your "engine" isnt properly started and you are running in a different calorie burning mode (because your body thinks you're starving). I had a friend once who had to eat double what he usually did and finally started losing weight :wacko:

I've been this way a looking time and could never figure out why I don't lose weight or in some cases, why I don't gain. I'll ask my doctor for a good dietician, though she's terrible with....bedside manner. First time I met her she goes "Oh....you are fat." Yes...yes I know this. @[email protected] she's brilliant though so meh.

Maybe a low calorie diet won't work for me after all. I never thought it could be an engine problem. I wonder what that means for me. @[email protected]

With weight watchers they frown at you eating less than your assigned points... you don't need to eat your junk food points or your exercise points... but your base points they insist you eat.  I've been doing that (and not underestimating what I've been eating) for the last week with proper tracking and it seems to be working!

• Like 3

My wife has noticed that her body has quite a bit of momentum when it comes to weight loss (and gain).  Some weight comes off, then nothing for a while, then some more, then nothing, and then some more comes off.

The other issue is that if you are exercising, you are probably building up muscle in place of fat.  So the weight might not drop, but the proportion of muscle to fat is better.  

That's what I've been telling myself.  Been doing 2-3 hours of yard work ever weekend day for the last couple of months and walking 10k plus steps a day, but my weight has only moved down slightly.  But, my pants seem a touch looser.

Two books that I've found helpful are Eat, Move, Sleep and Mindless Eating.  

Eat, Move, Sleep is full of suggestions about how what we eat, how we move, and how much we sleep is all impacts overall health and has tips on those three aspects of health.

Mindless Eating is a fascinating look at how people eat more calories than they think and how misconceptions can impact how we feel about food.

Ron

• Like 3

The way my doctor explained it to me is that when you don't eat enough your body starts to conserve the fats that your do have, because the starvation mechanisms are triggered. So you don't lose weight. Our bodies are very, very good at storing and keeping fats on us, they've been adapting to do that for a very long time. They're not used to all this abundance in these modern times. After all, humans can survive for about a month without any food.

• Like 4

In the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit that I had two large bacon cheese burgers yesterday, as well as baked beans (which were baked with bacon on top), and grilled vegetables. Then I went for twelve hours without eating. Not on purpose mind you. I just wasn't feeling hungry. Then I stood up a little bit ago and wondered why I was feeling woozy.

Well, duh!

Anyway, I've had a little muffin and a little yogurt. Hash browns and scrambled eggs will be following soon. Hopefully not too many. The cooks at work like to feed me like there's three of me <_< Which there's NOT! I'm NOT pregnant! Heysoos kreestay! :rolleyes:

• Like 5