Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

Weights are fantastic! Start slow and build it up. You can see your body changing and the pounds may not fall off as quickly your clothes get looser and looser.

I have a more "dwarf like" build, I am stocky so I can get toned pretty well and pretty fast. I am just super lazy.

Eat a little less, move a little more is the basis for most healthy lifestyles. No surprises here.

As for weight training, it's weird that a lot of people seem to forget or misunderstand that though weight training will burn off fat, it will also produce more muscle tissue which is a weight gain (but the healthy kind). I've heard of many people not liking the idea of gaining weight this way even though muscle tissue is denser. So even if your weight seems stable or you are gaining weight through muscle mass, you are less voluminous and fit better in a lot of clothes.

When I was more active before my surgery, the first 20 lbs went off fast (mostly burning fat tissue)! The next twenty, far more slowly (muscle mass was gained), but I was finding that all of my clothes were much looser even when my weight seemed stable.

• Like 6

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I really focused on weights I freaked out since my thighs got bigger, then a friend who is super into weights told me since I had a "layer of fat" over my muscle the muscle would start getting built and the fat would slowly go away.

I really need to get back into weights. Maybe a reboot after vacation :)

• Like 5

The first time I really focused on weights I freaked out since my thighs got bigger, then a friend who is super into weights told me since I had a "layer of fat" over my muscle the muscle would start getting built and the fat would slowly go away.

I really need to get back into weights. Maybe a reboot after vacation :)

Targeted fat burning is also one of those myths that doesn't want to die.

You don't lose fat in specific areas that you work out more. Fat loss is spread all over the body.

And I'm also eagerly awaiting the day my cardiologist gives me the OK to go to the gym again. [stoopid heart surgery]

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 5

I am now under 300 and have been for almost week, and falling steadily. This marks milestone #1 I wanted to hit.

Milestone #2: Going down a size. Not focusing too much on Pounds-Lost goals but Self-Esteem goals. Things that would make me actually feel better mentally. So far this method is working better for me as I'm not obsessing so much over the numbers on the scale (not weighing every single day and getting upset if there's not some downward change). I still need to get over obsessing over every morsel of food I eat. There are days I do forget to eat, and when I remember, I find I'm not hungry. Then I get into a weird "need to lose weight just don't eat" versus "you need to eat a minimum number of calories to be healthy" combat. So far I'm following logic, but the guilt afterwards... argh.

• Like 8

Try not to use labels like "fat".  We are not "fat".  We are super heroes with so much power our bodies had to construct a series of external tanks to contain it all for the sake of humanity's survival.

I call myself "winterized". ::P:

Fat is a good insulator. Saves on heating.

• Like 7

210 is damn respectable!  What is your goal?

180. I started at 250 so I'm over halfway there.

I actually end up eating far more than 1500 per day, for those that are concerned. MyFitnessPal suggest a starting value of 1,550, and then it adds in calories for my workout, so it adjusts upwards. For example, if I run 2 miles my MiCoach app with heart rate monitor estimates that as about 350 calories, so MyFitnessPall adjusts my calorie needs for the day as 1,900 for that day.

In this way I typically end up close to 2k calories each day, although you all are probably going to yell at me for his next bit. Yesterday I had a small lunch (600 calories), and then ran a 5k after work (-857 calories)  So for dinner, I had an outstanding caloric requirement of 1,987 calories. I had a taco platter, and it came in at 1,200 but I was super stuffed eating 2 tacos, rice and beans, and chips, so it ended there.  I came in over 700 calories short for the day, BUT my total caloric intake for the day had been over 2,000. Some days i JUST cannot eat enough to offset my exercise.  

Don't yell.

210 is damn respectable!  What is your goal?

180. I started at 250 so I'm over halfway there.

I actually end up eating far more than 1500 per day, for those that are concerned. MyFitnessPal suggest a starting value of 1,550, and then it adds in calories for my workout, so it adjusts upwards. For example, if I run 2 miles my MiCoach app with heart rate monitor estimates that as about 350 calories, so MyFitnessPall adjusts my calorie needs for the day as 1,900 for that day.

In this way I typically end up close to 2k calories each day, although you all are probably going to yell at me for his next bit. Yesterday I had a small lunch (600 calories), and then ran a 5k after work (-857 calories)  So for dinner, I had an outstanding caloric requirement of 1,987 calories. I had a taco platter, and it came in at 1,200 but I was super stuffed eating 2 tacos, rice and beans, and chips, so it ended there.  I came in over 700 calories short for the day, BUT my total caloric intake for the day had been over 2,000. Some days i JUST cannot eat enough to offset my exercise.  

Don't yell.

Ok whispering: that doesn't sound bad you know?

• Like 1

Today for lunch i went to an all you can eat Salad bar and had a huge bowl of greens, cucumbers, olives, peppers, and dried cranberries and broccoli and zucchini shreds and beets and mushrooms and some bacon bits. I have NO idea how many calories it was, but I assume calories from plants that are not processed beyond "wash, slice" don't count, right?

Today for lunch i went to an all you can eat Salad bar and had a huge bowl of greens, cucumbers, olives, peppers, and dried cranberries and broccoli and zucchini shreds and beets and mushrooms and some bacon bits. I have NO idea how many calories it was, but I assume calories from plants that are not processed beyond "wash, slice" don't count, right?

Aside from the Bacon that was a very healthy lunch, nothing wrong there.. And I would totally eat that with bacon btw

• Like 3

Aside from the Bacon that was a very healthy lunch, nothing wrong there.. And I would totally eat that with bacon btw

I felt I needed some animal proteins (I know broccoli actually has a lot of protein, but I've been led to believe that there are different proteins) so I added a small scoop of that.

not too bad overall, the greens are low cal, I'm not sure about the beets and cranberries, olives are pretty fatty and bacon bits are in the ballpark of 150 calories per ounce.

the gigantic health killer would be the dressing.  for example the dressing my wife likes is 130 cal per serving or 2000 calories per bottle.  instead of traditional dressing, I use salsa very low cal and packs a nice kick

• Like 2

I don't consider "fat" a dreaded "F" word. It's just another adjective. It too often is used as an insult when it shouldn't be.

I am short, I am pale, I am fat. My goal isn't to be thin, just less fat. I like being on the chunkier side.

I'm not fat. I'm obese. My BMI is 32% where it should be under 25. But I don't carry a big belly or backside. 

• Like 1