Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

I found the value in calorie counting was less in limiting my calories and more just being more aware of what I was actually eating.

Also, weight loss has momentum. So if you make some bad choices while losing weight, you'll probably keep losing weight unless you make those occasional errors into habits.

Yeah, that's the root of my inability to be too mad at myself--my problem has always been getting back on the wagon after having hopped off it. Like, I've gone on diets--Atkins-style, several times, low-fat, etc.--and lost thirty pounds or more in less than a month, and then had a "cheat day," and that was that. Some mix of discouragement and guilt and, well, love for stuffty food ultimately led to dropping the program. Having seen myself be able to have a day--and, you know, I kind of need that, I guess, to stay sane, though I need not to have whole weekends of absolute debauchery like I did last weekend, ugh--and then get right back on track has been amazing.

A big part of it's been my wife's support. She's a hell of a cook and keeps me stocked in veggies, which has been huge, but also in varying meats that avoid drudgery and fanciful not-sugary sweets and things that make life much more enjoyable when forsaking the goodness of sugar and bread and all. I've never had this sort of help before; it's been a total game-changer for me. I feel like I'm finally making the lifestyle change I needed beyond going on a diet. I mean, I still may blow up and weigh 400 or 500 pounds in a couple years, but it finally doesn't feel like it's headed that way.

Also, didn't mean to knock calorie-counting; it's great for a lot of folks. It's such a part of our consciousness, though, that calories == weight that it's totally discouraging for a guy like me who's sitting there for years saying there's no possible way I should be this fat based on my calorie intake. 'Cause even when I was lowering calories years ago, or just eating "normally" at a level that shouldn't have supported my weight, I was still eating too much of the wrong things to make my body effectively burn fat. Diff'rent strokes fer diff'rent fo'ks, and all that.

• Like 3

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, didn't mean to knock calorie-counting; it's great for a lot of folks. It's such a part of our consciousness, though, that calories == weight that it's totally discouraging for a guy like me who's sitting there for years saying there's no possible way I should be this fat based on my calorie intake. 'Cause even when I was lowering calories years ago, or just eating "normally" at a level that shouldn't have supported my weight, I was still eating too much of the wrong things to make my body effectively burn fat. Diff'rent strokes fer diff'rent fo'ks, and all that.

Honestly, the biggest thing that made a difference to me when I lost weight a number of years ago was not a reduction in calories, it was that I got rid of garbage (but tasty) food, like fast food, chips, etc. I didn't bother doing low-carb or anything, just avoided things that were obviously stupidly unhealthy. (Most of the time, anyway.) I did end up eating somewhat fewer calories overall but not enough to explain the weight loss I was seeing.

(Which is a long way of saying "Me too!" :;): )

• Like 4

Lost only 10-15 pounds in the last 3 weeks (first time I've weighed since then, and only the second overall). "Only," lol. But that's with breaking the diet for three weekends in a row. Have to confess it's hard to be too disappointed, but I can't tell if it's steeling my resolve going forward or not.

Finally getting some exercise into the mix, though. Just walking. Actually started because the dogs need walking so badly, as they corgi's been getting a little tubby. Took the wife and all three dogs, to the track at the school, today. Had a lot of fun. See if it keeps up going forward, with summer still here in Texas but winter also coming.

Wife took some pictures of the dogs and got me in a shot or two, while she was walking right behind us--gotta say, my elf is looking great (individual viewer's mileage may vary). That kind of steels the resolve, continuing to see the difference. I'm about back to my "normal" fatness levels, now. Would be nice to keep it going, obvs.

Opinion on calories that (obviously) shouldn't be viewed as anything other than one dude's opinion: I've found counting calories rather counterproductive to losing weight, actually. I've never had success that way, anyway. The devil's in the details, at least for me--paying attention to what I'm eating in terms of fat and carbs. I've had success on both those fronts, and I've especially had success with carbs, here lately. While I'd probably have opted for a fat-limiting diet, all things being equal, the wife's being diagnosed with the beetus made an Atkins-style diet much more feasible for me (and her). Cutting out carbs has made me very aware of what I put in my bodies in terms of sugars and the like. Limiting the carbs of course led directly to losing weight, but it's secondarily led to an immense drop in caloric intake, as well. My stomach's shrunk, don't eat nearly as much--so the caloric balance rather takes care of itself.

With my low-carb diet, in particular, gotta say it's been the healthiest I've ever eaten. People make a big deal out of all the meat one has to eat on Atkins and the like, but I'm eating less red meat now than I was before, due simply to eating less all around, and I'm eating more vegetables. Sweets and starches and bread and all--right out, of course. It's been a very nice balance.

Honestly I lost so much weight just walking my corgis. It wasn't fast... but it stuck. 

• Like 5

Hehe. My little girl's need for walking having been nearly as dire as mine, it no doubt could contribute to my cause as well.

Did I mention earlier that I bought a basketball? I bought a basketball. Went and spent an hour shooting in the gym while the wife worked in her classroom, this evening. Knees are too shot for too much jumping and running, but a pretty good workout! Constant movement, some upper body action to go along with it . . . and basketball. My touch is as soft as it was sixteen years ago, if not as accurate.

Anyway, good times. Hoping to start establishing a routine.

• Like 5

With my low-carb diet, in particular, gotta say it's been the healthiest I've ever eaten. People make a big deal out of all the meat one has to eat on Atkins and the like, but I'm eating less red meat now than I was before, due simply to eating less all around, and I'm eating more vegetables. Sweets and starches and bread and all--right out, of course. It's been a very nice balance.

Like every average Joe, I had my misconceptions about what the Atkins diet was.

Then last year I found the Atkins program online with the lists of foods and their carb/fibre/protein equivalent. I was surprised at the amount of veggies in it. Atkins was much healthier than I was led to believe (Curse you stand-up comedians! You LIED to me.). Of course, you still have to watch what you eat, but it wasn't as restrictive nor as meat obsessed as I thought it would be.

• Like 3

I found the value in calorie counting was less in limiting my calories and more just being more aware of what I was actually eating.

Also, weight loss has momentum. So if you make some bad choices while losing weight, you'll probably keep losing weight unless you make those occasional errors into habits.

For me I was barely losing any weight at what *I* thought was a moderate intake. So then i added working out into my daily routine and started losing slowly. Then I decided that perhaps my opinion of moderate intake and the reality weren't lining up, and I began counting, just to see who I was doing.  My weight loss skyrocketed at that point. Your experiences are your own and I have no desire to diminish them, but for me, personally, when I fail to count, I fail to moderate nearly as well as I think I do.

I'll definitely be working on this as well. I worked retail and freight for several years, so I was pretty fit and didn't need to watch what I was eating too closely, since I was burning it off by unloading trucks.... Fast forward 7 months of a desk job with the same diet... Ouch. Time for me to wake up and start actively dieting too!

My husband really enjoyed Keto (low carb as well) and kept off the weight he lost with it. I spent several months acquiring various recipes, so if anyone's interested, I could share my OneNote of recipes. There's a lot! I tried to stay away from too many "substitute" recipes, but I put them on there for days when he want to break the diet, but knew he shouldn't.  :;): So most of the recipes are just low carb - add and mix what you will.

We plan on getting back on Keto when we get back from our vacation - no one likes to diet on vacation! 

I'm also going to be doing the Insanity work out. I tried a session with a friend a few years ago, and it kicks your butt, guys! I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do the "fit test" for 2 weeks straight until I can handle the actual workout!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5

I'll definitely be working on this as well. I worked retail and freight for several years, so I was pretty fit and didn't need to watch what I was eating too closely, since I was burning it off by unloading trucks.... Fast forward 7 months of a desk job with the same diet... Ouch. Time for me to wake up and start actively dieting too!

My husband really enjoyed Keto (low carb as well) and kept off the weight he lost with it. I spent several months acquiring various recipes, so if anyone's interested, I could share my OneNote of recipes. There's a lot! I tried to stay away from too many "substitute" recipes, but I put them on there for days when he want to break the diet, but knew he shouldn't.  :;): So most of the recipes are just low carb - add and mix what you will.

We plan on getting back on Keto when we get back from our vacation - no one likes to diet on vacation! 

I'm also going to be doing the Insanity work out. I tried a session with a friend a few years ago, and it kicks your butt, guys! I'm pretty sure I'm just going to do the "fit test" for 2 weeks straight until I can handle the actual workout!

Is Keto similar to Paleo?

• Like 1

Is Keto similar to Paleo?

Very similar, but it allows dairy, where Paleo does not. 

• Like 3