Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

204.6 lbs this morning. 

For weight loss, running faster isn't really better.  Longer runs with a moderate heart rate (in the 150-160 range for someone within 10 years of 40) are much better for fat burning.  You can look up "MAF" running.  I can do a 5k in under 25 minutes, but do most of my running at about a 9 min mile because it puts me at a better effort level for weight loss.

Yeah, today I graduate from phase 4 in my weight loss plan to phase 5, and while over the course of the plan since March I've had to increase my speed slightly to keep the same heart rate (in March, "green zone" was 3.5mph, by May it took me going at 3.8mph to reach the same heart rate, and now I have to run at 4mph to reach green) the workout plan rally is increasing the duration of the workouts and the time spent at each interval. 

I started at Phase 2, and the final workout for Phase 2 was 30 minutes total length, 5 minutes Blue zone, 20 minutes green zone, 5 minutes blue zone. For phase 4, the final workout (yesterday) was 40 minutes, 5 Blue, 30 Green, 5 Blue. And for phase 5, which I should end a week before Thanksgiving is 55 minutes, 5 Blue, 45 green, 5 Blue. 

I do not expect my speed to increase by *much*, perhaps by as much as .2 or .4 mph to achieve and maintain Green (yesterday I had to do 4.5 for 10 minutes to get into green, but that was the first time I'd ever had to go that speed to get my heart rate above 135), and I'm not really focused on speed. Speed increases as a factor of the additional effort required to achieve target heart rate increases, which is a factor (I think) of the weight loss meaning I require less effort to achieve the same [speed] results.

I can confirm after 5 days on Phase 5 that Green zone for me is now 4.5mph. So an increase in speed has developed naturally as I've lost 45 lbs and increased my stamina and heart strength. My short workouts are now 3km and my long workouts will range from 5km to 6.5 km. 

Also I have added in a weight training routine, mostly I'm using 15lb barbells right now, for typically 3 sets of 12 reps in 4 different exercises, whose names I don't know.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure you'd finish a 5K before me right now then... ::): Went for another run today, about the same speed as last time. Still tired at the end but at least noticeably less dead tired, if that makes any sense. 

Long ways to go to get back to where I want to be, but I know from experience these things take time. And I've been out of shape for long enough that while I remember running fast, I can enjoy my runs now for what they are as opposed to being disappointed that they're not what they used to be. 

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure you'd finish a 5K before me right now then... ::): Went for another run today, about the same speed as last time. Still tired at the end but at least noticeably less dead tired, if that makes any sense. 

Long ways to go to get back to where I want to be, but I know from experience these things take time. And I've been out of shape for long enough that while I remember running fast, I can enjoy my runs now for what they are as opposed to being disappointed that they're not what they used to be. 

It took me 6 months to complete my first 5k, starting from not being able to "run" at 3.5mph for 5 full minutes.

And I know exactly what you mean. I'm often amazed at how tired I no longer feel after a workout that once was 'killer'.

Brought my gym stuff so I could go work out today... Even managed to get myself into the gym... Sat down in the changeroom... Realised I'd forgotten my towel. I can break a sweat sitting still on a cool day, by the time I finish a workout I'm drenched, there's no way I'd be able to do a workout and then return to work without a shower. I'd feel gross, my neighbours would hate me, my chair would be gross... just badness all around. So I turned around and left. 

But since I took a short lunch to make sure I had enough time to go work out this afternoon, I guess I'll just leave early instead and go home and go for a run before supper. That's the plan, anyway. ::): (I'm hoping that posting here means I'll stick to that plan instead of being lazy, as usual.)

• Like 2

The better half and I sat down with my recipe notes and figured out our meals next week. Shopping for the bulk of it tomorrow, then we start Monday! We decided our objective is to lose 30 pounds each - a reasonable goal that still feels like an achievement.

• Like 6

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?page=view&resid=A8EA59D9DD21A165!122&authkey=!AELK81x_iG0bMeI

Okay! All of these recipes are low carb, and I tried to stay away from too many "substitute foods," where you use a million different ingredients to make something less carby, when you probably could have just taken the carb hit. That said, there are some GOOD, easy substitute recipes on here. The pizza made with cheese for a crust? Awesome. You don't notice the difference too much. Pancakes made with cream cheese? MMmmmmm. Super fluffy.

I haven't made even half of these recipes, but maybe y'all will see something you'd like to try. Even if you're not doing a low carb diet, maybe you'll get some inspiration!  ^_^

I'd also like to note that you could probably just stick to the "Overview" page in each tab. I got a little carried away.... Haha. The last tab, "Inspiration," you can ignore, and the second to last one, "More Research," has a bunch of recipe website links that I never had the chance to go through (has LOTS of slow cooker recipes).

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 5

The better half and I sat down with my recipe notes and figured out our meals next week. Shopping for the bulk of it tomorrow, then we start Monday! We decided our objective is to lose 30 pounds each - a reasonable goal that still feels like an achievement.

I really need to do this for myself...

• Like 6

Even if you're not doing low carb, maybe you'll get some ideas for dinner from the list! :)

It was a pain to plan ahead the first few weeks, but we slowly got into the hang of it. We also did a lot of our cooking on Sunday/Monday nights, then stored everything into a bunch of serving size containers for the week. It's harder to cheat when you can just microwave dinner. The only food that got made the day of were things like steak and fried chicken, etc.

• Like 7

Brought my gym stuff so I could go work out today... Even managed to get myself into the gym... Sat down in the changeroom... Realised I'd forgotten my towel.

Nothing breaks the mood like forgetting something essential.

I forgot my gym shorts on several occasions. Doing the treadmill in my underpants would've been frowned upon.

For a towel, I would be quite inconvenienced, since I also sweat greatly during workout. I'm talking 'wring your shirt and water drips' amounts.

• Like 6