Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

After major heart surgery, and months of relative inactivity (some of it imposed), I'm glad to see that my weight hasn't changed all that much (average about 210lbs).

Next week I'm seeing my cardiologist for a followup exam and a stress test (treadmill + monitors) to be allowed to return to work. What I especially want is the approval to join a gym again for some more serious training.

Simply walking isn't enough for me (unless it's uphill), and one of my knees is bad enough that I can't run without risk of injury. So low impact gym equipment is what I need, and good gyms require a doctor's note if the client has a health condition.

My cardiologist may delay that note until after a full three months of surgery recovery have gone by, which will lead me to mid-November.

I hope the test goes well and you get the note to let you do the exercise you want!
  • Like 3

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After major heart surgery, and months of relative inactivity (some of it imposed), I'm glad to see that my weight hasn't changed all that much (average about 210lbs).

Next week I'm seeing my cardiologist for a followup exam and a stress test (treadmill + monitors) to be allowed to return to work. What I especially want is the approval to join a gym again for some more serious training.

Simply walking isn't enough for me (unless it's uphill), and one of my knees is bad enough that I can't run without risk of injury. So low impact gym equipment is what I need, and good gyms require a doctor's note if the client has a health condition.

My cardiologist may delay that note until after a full three months of surgery recovery have gone by, which will lead me to mid-November.

How about aqua training? In a swimming pool?

• Like 1

No matter what sort of training I do, I'll need a doctor's approval first.

That's the problem with surgery, what you see on the surface (healed scars) and how you generally feel is not indicative on how things truly healed up on the inside. A lot of people push their luck because they start getting too active too soon.

Full recovery in my case is three months. Six weeks is enough for light activity and a desk job, but any heavy physical labor requires the full three months. I want to play it safe.

• Like 6

It got cold here (44 this morning) so soup is on our menu this week: onion soup tomorrow (I'm getting a crown replaced, whee) and thai beef noodle later in the week. Baked chicken or fish with vegetables on the other nights. I think I'll get some fresh pears and apples this week, too.

No changes on the scale.

• Like 2

No matter what sort of training I do, I'll need a doctor's approval first.

That's the problem with surgery, what you see on the surface (healed scars) and how you generally feel is not indicative on how things truly healed up on the inside. A lot of people push their luck because they start getting too active too soon.

Full recovery in my case is three months. Six weeks is enough for light activity and a desk job, but any heavy physical labor requires the full three months. I want to play it safe.

Wise.. Good luck

• Like 2

Making slow but good changes at the Boot household. Mostly we've added super awesome smoothies to our diets, which are a good substitute for my munchie tendencies (cuz I tend to munch unhealthy junk). They are literally just fruit and greens all blended together, and even though it's an unappetizing brown color, it tastes sooo good!

First, I toss in a couple of oranges and several handfuls of spinach and blend. Then I add several handfuls of kale and a couple of bananas (and maybe a little fruit juice if needed) and blend thoroughly so there's no leafy bits. Pour that into a pitcher, then add mixed frozen berries and a fair bit of juice (so they actually blend), and blend thoroughly, then stir the two mixes together. ::):

I know we're both feeling better, even though we don't look much different yet. Making smoothies consistently has only recently gotten into being a habit, though (about a month), and consistency is the hardest part. :) Next step will be breaking out of my exercising inertia and actually using my exercise tapes I have.

The really good news is that Mr. Boot's lipid profile last year was borderline high; on his most recent one, every single bad indicator was down to normal limits! :D Needless to say, his doctor was super happy, and we are too. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 9

I never realized how much sugar was in things until I looked at the nutrition labels and knew what the words meant. I'm going to miss my orange juice. :(

The short version of our diet is if the carbs are from sugar, we skip it. We still take some carbs, but not like orange juice.

... I'm really hooked on my orange juice. 

• Like 5

I never realized how much sugar was in things until I looked at the nutrition labels and knew what the words meant. I'm going to miss my orange juice. :(

The short version of our diet is if the carbs are from sugar, we skip it. We still take some carbs, but not like orange juice.

... I'm really hooked on my orange juice. 

I was talking with a nutritionist once (part of a running clinic thing I was doing) and she typically deals with severely overweight teens. Her very first rule is: Never drink your fruit or veggies. At least at the start (and possibly the whole way through the process) the kids are allowed to eat as much fruit/veg as they want, but they're not allowed to drink any. Just the mention of fruit juice was enough to make her spitting mad. :lol: She actually hated fruit juice more than pop, because it often had the same amount of sugar but at least with pop no-one's under the illusion that it's remotely healthy. 

• Like 5

Last year I went and got a bunch of tiny juice glasses. They hold a little over 1/2 cup and we never fill them all the way, so that's the primary way we stay in control there. I'm also using them for eggnog, because it's that time of year again and I can't resist the stuff.

Smoothies aren't quite as bad as straight juice because you are getting all the pulp, but fruit=sugar. We stopped making them because we could only make them taste good with massive amounts of fruit and the calorie counts were through the roof.

• Like 5

I have been invited to participate in a half marathon (13.1 mile run/21.08km run) in late March 2016.

I officially began training for it today. The idea is for me to spend my main workouts each week like this:

4 days a week - Run. 

for 3 runs a week, focus on achieving and maintaining the 7:00 Kilometer for times beginning at 20:00 and ending at 1hour closer to February. Each two week cycle I should be adding 1km to the length of these runs, starting at ~3km.

For one run a week:

if it's an Odd Week (week 1, week 3, 5, 7, etc.) increase the total distance run by 1.35 Km (or do 1.5km, 1.5km, 1km, repeating)

if it's an Even Week (week 2, 4, 6, 8, etc.) workouts include high speed intervals intended to help with both endurance and speed acceleration.

3 days a week - Fitness, 1hr

~20 minutes yoga/pilates/stretching/balance exercises, non cardio

~35-40 minutes weight lifting/planking/pushups/lunges/etc.

Date Given is the date of the "big" run that week. Distance only is given, times are assumed to equal roughly 7minutes/km
Week 1 (10/10) 3 @3km, 1@8km
Week 2 (10/17) 3@3km, [email protected]
Week 3 (10/24) 3@3km, [email protected]
Week 4 (10/31 )3@4km, [email protected]
Week 5 (11/7)3 @4km, 1@11km
Week 6 (11/14) 3@5km, 1@8km
Week 7 (11/21) 3@5km, [email protected]
Week 8 (11/28) 3@6km, 1@8km
Week 9 (12/5) 3@6km, 1@14km
Week 10 (12/12) 3@7km, [email protected]
Week 11 (12/19) 3@7km, [email protected]
Week 12 (12/26) 3@8km, [email protected]
Week 13 (1/2) 3@8km, 1@17km
Week 14 (1/9) 3@9km, 1@14km
Week 15 (1/16) 3@9km, [email protected]
Week 16 (1/23) 3@10km, 1@14km
Week 17 (1/30) 3@10km, 1@ 21.0
Week 18 (2/6) 3@11km, 1@17km
Week 19 (2/13) 3@11km, [email protected]
Week 20 (2/20) 3@12km, 1@17km
Week 21 (2/27) 3@12km, [email protected]
Week 22 (3/5) 3@13km, 1@19km
Week 23 (3/12) 3@10km, [email protected]
Week 24 (3/19) [email protected], Saturday Off.
Race Day 3/20

I can already run a constant pace of 9:00/Km for 45 minutes, and can do 4 miles easily with the allowed and recommended slower paced walking intervals. 

I have sought advice from trainers on hydration, so I'm good there. We got a camelbak so I can carry water with me on training runs of greater than 5k, (which will be every weekend) and we have routes planned for me to train which include stops at places where water is otherwise available should I run without it.

Today I ran 8:00/Km, so I know I'm capable of that. I have three weeks to make 7:00/Km a pace I can maintain for 20:00 before I am expected to maintain it for 30:00.

Wish me luck!

I lost the 5 lbs I gained between vacation and pumpkin scones :)

Now to keep at it....

That was fast wasn't it? Did you crash diet or excercise? What's the secret?

I'm chubby. If I watch what I eat I lose 5-7lbs the first week. When you are at 227lbs losing 5lbs isn't a bunch. :)

Plus unhealthy food can cause you to bloat up so some of the weight you lose the first week is "water weight" being flushed out.

When we don't watch what we eat we order out a lot of total crap like pizza.

My ankle also feels better so I am skipping the bus and walking to the train, that isn't very far though, only 20 minutes if I walk fast.

• Like 5