Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

Love this thread. I was 17 and weighed 250, I'm 5'10. I lost 70 pounds in 8 months, and the lowest I weighed was 165. I'm 23 now, currently 215, and packed on a good sum of muscle. I am dieting again and with a lot more knowledge. Lose weight slow, it will give excess skin more time to mold with your new shape. If you have pink stretch marks, use coco oil/lotion. Your marks will crystalize and be permenant if you do not attend them. Final note, DO IT FOR HEALTH. It's easy to fall into a habit of finding things you don't like about yourself. If you apply the "I don't like how this looks let me work on it" mentality to shape an image you want to have, I promise you'll never be happy. Have goals for shapes, and some for looks, but focus on extending your life span and being more capable. My goal is to get down to 185, and I'm doing 3-4 mile (kinda overkill don't be like me lol) jogs 2 days a week while doing weight training.

• Like 4

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

211 up 2 lbs.

starting a reduced carb diet, wherein I try non-systematically to reduce the carbohydrates I eat. 

on the plus side, I ran a mile in 9:17 this morning. 

after 2 weeks - down to 209 lbs again, and ran a 9:00 min mile. 

I'm nowhere close to a 9:00 mile. Right now I'm lucky to get 12:00 per (used to be 17:00 per, though). But I'm also training for endurance not speed (although speed is coming as a side effect as I lose weight and workout longer).

I'm down to 203, official. progress continues to be slow, but not invisible.

Just to rejoin.  I'm back to my teaching weight loss.  I was pretty much a slug over the summer.  First summer I didn't work until since I was 13.  I ended up adding on about 10 lbs.  Apparently not all of it was fat though.  I did swim a ton.  When I went back to school in September, quiet a few of the staff commented that I looked like I had lost more weight, I was surprised, since I had gained.  So apparently some of that weight gain was burnt fat being replaced by muscle mass.

Since school, and 3 days a week of soccer practice, have started, I've already gotten myself back to almost where I was at the end of last school year.

Started August 2014 @ 255lb

June 2015 @ 215 lb

September 2015 @ 225 lb

Current: 218 lb

Goal: 200 lb.

My only complaint about the weight loss has been that I get much colder, much more easily now.  It's a combination of getting older so my circulation isn't as great, plus the loss of insulating layers.  I didn't notice it much last year, because I was really just starting the significant weight loss come winter.  I think I am really going to hate it this year.  Even when I was a skinny scrawny kid, I didn't remember feeling so cold.  Apparently the furnace doesn't burn as hot as it did back then, I just simply had better insulation in the walls. :lol:

• Like 7

So how about the new WHO investigation about processed meat / red meat intake and cancer?

Lots of us follow Paleo, Keteo, Atkins and such.

After reading it some more it seems a bit hyped.

The professor stated that you can eat it, just be moderate, and there were correlations with smoking and drinking and such.

So. How do you feel about this. Will it effect your choices of dinner?

Me, I believe that for any investigation there is another one that contradicts it, so i will eat what makes me feel good. ( BACON..well just a little then)

• Like 2

Not going to stop. In fact, I'm about to go ask for extra bacon on my breakfast taco.

In high school, apples caused cancer. But you know, the very air we breathe causes cancer. So I'm not going to worry about a bunch of WHOsits who tend to pander to the Flavor of the Month medical concern.

• Like 3

Not going to stop. In fact, I'm about to go ask for extra bacon on my breakfast taco.

In high school, apples caused cancer. But you know, the very air we breathe causes cancer. So I'm not going to worry about a bunch of WHOsits who tend to pander to the Flavor of the Month medical concern.

Ditto. There is always some new thing that is causing cancer. I live near the city, I work in Boston. Just being here surrounded by cars is giving me cancer. I'm pretty sure something in my hairdye can give me cancer.

The fact that no one in my family has breast cancer means I am at risk for breast cancer. I mean seriously you can't spend every day worrying about cancer.

• Like 5

Aryanun , Bathory Indeed, my thoughts exactly.

I remember in the old days we were not "allowed" to eat more than 3 eggs a week, now you can have one daily..suddenly they're good for you.

There is much controverse about food.

Smoking I get..proven without a doubt that it is dangerous.

Good article Samuraijack.

• Like 3

• Members

We've already given up most beef and pork (due to saturated fats) so it's not really a problem for us at this point. I think each person has to look at the evidence and weigh it against their own risk factors for cholesterol, heart disease, cancer, etc. I'm sure there are things that will increase that risk a lot more than a couple of burgers or a plate of bbq.

• Like 6

I hate these findings, because "Correlation does not prove causality."

One of the issues that has been noted already is that yeah, people that eat tons of the super processed foods may have an increased risk of cancer, but from what I heard being discussed, they never really normed the data to exclude other significant health risks, for example, not eating a diet high in foods rich in antioxidants.

Additionally, as a population, we are living longer and longer, and constantly being exposed to more carcinogens.  It is inevitable that if you live long enough, you will develop cancer.

Just like if you make a photocopy of a photocopy through multiple generations, eventually, that copy will become illegible.  Eventually, your cells are going to make a transcription error, and the cell will become cancerous, and it will grow, and eventually it will develop into a tumor.  The only question is whether something else kills you first, or the cancer is caught before it can spread.

Edited by Qwyksilver
  • Like 6

I'm with Qwyk. The study basically says "compared to people with an amazingly super-healthy diet, those with high consumption of red and processed meats are at a 1% greater risk for a relatively uncommon cancer" (3% of all cancers, and 20% of all bowel cancers). Compare this to the statistics on smoking for example (smokers were 86% of all lung cancers, and 19% of all cases of cancer) and the high correlation to lung cancer, and it's almost a statistical anomaly to have a +0.1% chance to get the one of the least common cancers. (red meat eaters have a .66% chance of contracting bowel cancer, those without these meats have a .55% chance of doing so).

I'm curious what the correlation rate is for those with "normal" diets not rich in antioxidants and free of processed foods, including those whose diets include pizza and ice cream and burgers and fries frequently. Is their rate slightly higher than the .55%, but still lower than .66%?

This article uses science and statistics to demonstrate the reality of the claims of the study - it acknowledges the validity of the science, but it does point out that the increase in your risk is 0.1% - http://nerdist.com/dont-panic-understanding-the-link-between-processed-meat-and-cancer/

Sorry folks, nothing to see here, your Bacon isn't causing cancer unless you eat rather a lot of it, and you're literally the unfortunate .1% of the population 

While eating read meat is good (and super tasty) for people suffering from anemia, I have yet to find a single doctor who recommends eating more bacon, sausage and hot dogs. Hell, I don't recall ever seeing recommendations for heavily processed anything.

All in all, we're back to saying again that too much of anything is bad. People are not suddenly at a higher risk than they were before, we just have better numbers to quantify the risk.

And like Xherman said, there is always controversy about food. One study, repeated ad-nauseum, is enough to make people freak out for/against a food group, and marketing departments will make sure they can profit from it. At least until newer studies come in with a reality check.

• Like 2