Weight Loss Support Thread

TaleSpinner

-shortened-

It is my understanding that women have a harder time losing weight than men. Apparently it's common, at the very least. I know my wife's goal is to stay below my weight, and while she has been successful, I have narrowed the gap significantly over the months. 

I've found some useful calculators and educational paragraphs about the calorie stuff in my Sophie examples at shapesense (dot) com. There's a nice metabolic rate calculator that gives you your caloric intake, and explains why calculations based off your treadmill's calculator are a little bit off (basically, I burn about ~83 calories per hour simply being alive. If I run for one hour, the activity might record as 420 calories, which s true, but it includes the 83 I would have spent without running, so I really only added 340 calories to my deficit). Forgetting to calculate that correctly might mean a daily intake of more calories than I intended, and couple that with typically 2-300 calories in uncounted foods (did you count every ship at the median restaurant? What about the .25 cups of salsa? What about the lemon slice you squeezed over the grilled fish? It all adds up, 20+20+20+20+20+83 is a bigger number than it felt like at the time and that slows your weight loss down!)

I've also heard the same thing about women vs men weight loss, but you always hope it's not true for you too! ::P: I would love to check out that calculator later. I didn't know that activity calculations could be off like that, which could be a piece of why I may not be at the correct deficit. That's really interesting, thank you!

• Like 3

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-shortened-

It is my understanding that women have a harder time losing weight than men. Apparently it's common, at the very least. I know my wife's goal is to stay below my weight, and while she has been successful, I have narrowed the gap significantly over the months. 

I've found some useful calculators and educational paragraphs about the calorie stuff in my Sophie examples at shapesense (dot) com. There's a nice metabolic rate calculator that gives you your caloric intake, and explains why calculations based off your treadmill's calculator are a little bit off (basically, I burn about ~83 calories per hour simply being alive. If I run for one hour, the activity might record as 420 calories, which s true, but it includes the 83 I would have spent without running, so I really only added 340 calories to my deficit). Forgetting to calculate that correctly might mean a daily intake of more calories than I intended, and couple that with typically 2-300 calories in uncounted foods (did you count every ship at the median restaurant? What about the .25 cups of salsa? What about the lemon slice you squeezed over the grilled fish? It all adds up, 20+20+20+20+20+83 is a bigger number than it felt like at the time and that slows your weight loss down!)

I've also heard the same thing about women vs men weight loss, but you always hope it's not true for you too! ::P: I would love to check out that calculator later. I didn't know that activity calculations could be off like that, which could be a piece of why I may not be at the correct deficit. That's really interesting, thank you!

Men do lose easier. Even if they have less to lose, it can be SUPER annoying.

Todd is 6 feet tall and has a thin build

I am 5 foot 4 and have a wider build

We went on a diet one time together, he needed to lose about 20 lbs, I needed to lose about 60lbs. In a few months he was fine and didn't need to lose anymore. I hadn't lost as much as he did in the same amount of time.

• Like 3

Watching the bits of video I've filmed recently has been a somewhat painful experience. Need to get back to losing weight. ::(:

The content was A+ though! ::D:

But I feel ya. Turns out that cookies & cream ice cream for dinner on Saturday was not the adult choice after all....

• Like 4

SO, I was finally able to get back to the Gym. My Workout buddy FINALLY got back into the GYM! 

Not that I am blaming it on him cause I just didn't want to as well but it didnt help that he was lazy too.

I feel great! It was good getting back and I actually wanted to go back today and do better than yesterday!

• Like 6

Down to 197.4lbs this morning. Finally beat that damned 200 lb mark! Officially lost 51.4 total lbs. Last Sunday I ran 11.5km (7.1mi) in 106 minutes (1:46:08). Not super fast, but it was my longest run yet and I'm happy to be able to do it. In 9 days I try to beat that record.

I want to encourage ALL of your to get back out there and keep trying - if you're stalled, think of what you could do differently - because YOU CAN DO THIS. I know you can. 

Down to 197.4lbs this morning. Finally beat that damned 200 lb mark! Officially lost 51.4 total lbs. Last Sunday I ran 11.5km (7.1mi) in 106 minutes (1:46:08). Not super fast, but it was my longest run yet and I'm happy to be able to do it. In 9 days I try to beat that record.

I want to encourage ALL of your to get back out there and keep trying - if you're stalled, think of what you could do differently - because YOU CAN DO THIS. I know you can. 

Congrats on this progress!

I'm working out twice a week now in a body fit program on the base.

Condition is improving, muscles are being built and fat is burned,

Feels good.

• Like 3

That's awesome, Reaperbryan!! I am amazed at your determination. Even at ArtistCon, man.... I need to get better at dedication like that! ::):

Last weekend, my love and I had a misunderstanding about diets, rewards, foods, etc. It ended up in me making a batch of apology cookies. Not like it was hard to convince me to make them! I just really missed making cookies... And eating them... :down: 

Our weight has stayed the same the last couple weeks. We haven't been actively making healthy food - just watching how much we eat. So at least we're not gaining it back. We'll be going on the poor man's carby diet in a few weeks here. Lots of filler foods like rice, pasta, grains, pretty much the opposite of keto. We'll be expecting quite a budget difference with this new apartment, so we want to make sure we can settle in safely first. Then hopefully back to the weight loss that works for us!

• Like 1

So, I need to get in better shape. I let myself slack off a lot after my hike on the AT back in April. I've lost what little muscle I had built up, and put on weight. My work pants and jeans are all a little too tight. But I don't have a lot of time or equipment.

I can't let that stop me. Besides, if the zombie apocalypse happens, I need to be ready, and we all know what rule #1 is, right?

Keeping that in mind, I did this.

I figure I can squeeze a set or two of one of these sorts of thing nightly, or nearly nightly.  Or I might try to take the Hero's Journey... Seems doable...

• Like 4

Mori, if you stick to low glycemic whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats and barley you can still stay close to your low carb diet. They take so long to digest that they don't significantly add to your blood sugar levels.

Thank you! I'll start looking up info in that area. I really appreciate it!

• Like 3