Matte and Gloss

hugdctr

Hey y'all,

I am painting some leather and wanted to give the highlights a gloss sheen to them. Is the brush on sealer a good gloss for this or is there another Reaper paint that fills this spot? I don't want to go the Vallejo gloss as my Reaper paints would all gang up on the single Vallejo bottle and beat him to a pulp the first night in the paint sets. Lol Oh, for the matte, I was going to try the #215 matte additive in the folds. Any suggestions??

/

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey y'all,

I am painting some leather and wanted to give the highlights a gloss sheen to them. Is the brush on sealer a good gloss for this or is there another Reaper paint that fills this spot? I don't want to go the Vallejo gloss as my Reaper paints would all gang up on the single Vallejo bottle and beat him to a pulp the first night in the paint sets. Lol Oh, for the matte, I was going to try the #215 matte additive in the folds. Any suggestions??

/

I'd hit the whole thing with some Testors Dullcote and then go back over the areas you want to be shiny/glossy with the Reaper Brush-On Sealer. Usually I go the OTHER direction to dull down the shine to matte, but this will work just as well to dull down everything and then bring the shine in where you specifically want it.

IIRC the matte additive dries chalky.  It's not meant to be used by itself. 

This is true.  You add the stuff to paint to make it matte.  It only requires a small amount, and if you use more, it will go chalky, so test it on something noncritical before you paint it on your figure.

• Artists

Reaper brush-on sealer is a semi-gloss when unthinned, and matte when thinned with a bit of water. If you want the protection or bright shine of a true gloss sealer, you will need to use another brand of sealer. (Which is fine, Reaper is so cool with other companies that you can enter something produced by anyone in their paint contest! So your paints should behave themselves and make friends. :->)

• Like 5

Reaper brush-on sealer is a semi-gloss when unthinned, and matte when thinned with a bit of water. If you want the protection or bright shine of a true gloss sealer, you will need to use another brand of sealer. (Which is fine, Reaper is so cool with other companies that you can enter something produced by anyone in their paint contest! So your paints should behave themselves and make friends. :->)

Personally, I use Liquitex varnishes. Both gloss and matte. Never had a problem with either, and they're about $15 for about 8 oz, IIRC. I've been using the same bottle of gloss for about a year now.

• Like 1