Band of Gnomes by ADW Games

spade413

My only advice. Pledgers should do a background search on ks creators before pledging.

This is an easy skip after reading through the creators comments on their last kickstarter.

One big reason not being a easy skip for me is that Game Designer Andrea Sfiligoi is in the team, creating the rules.

I like SBH and I'm interested in more magic rules for this skirmish system.

I'm not sure if I can back another KS in the moment, but I will get the PDF Rules if they offer it on the KS.

This. The system is why I gave DeepWars and ShadowSea a chance (well, and their awesome looking minis).
  • Like 1

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also...two kick starters? 0.o yikes! I hope they aren't expecting their backers to back all of them in such a short span of time

ADW Announces Band of Gnomes Kickstater launches July 21st

ADW Games has announced that their new game, Band of Gnomes, will launch on Kickstarter on the 21st.

ADW Games and Game Designer Andrea Sfiligoi announce that they are bringing “Band of Gnomesâ€, a non-lethal miniature skirmish game full of fast-paced trickery, illusion, summoning, entrapment, odd magic, queer terrain, golems and elementals, to Kickstarter on July 21, 2014.

Rules for “Band of Gnomes†are being written by Andrea Sfiligoi, the Award-winning game designer behind Songs of Blades and Heroes, Of Gods And Mortals and Fistful of Kung Fu.

“We have chosen this as out next project because it is unique in format and does not compete with anything on the market,†says S.E. Lantry, the primary writer for ADW Games. “Plus, we have a lot of cool, surprising expansions already mapped out.â€

Band of Gnomes will be set in ADW’s fantasy version of Doggerland, based on the lost landmass in the North Sea that joined Great Britain and Europe, during and after the last Ice Age.

Band of Gnomes will include rules for Ice Age Mammals miniatures in the Band of Gnomes Core Rule Book. The Core Set will include two Gnome factions, The Lighted Forest and The UnderMountain, and will include rules for terrain and Band of Gnomes battlemap-based games (Terrain and Battlemaps sold separately).

Tabletop Gaming News: http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2014/07/09/91178/

I received some criticism about my thoughts on backing first-time KS companies, but I think I'm okay with holding off on ADW. Elvis impersonators are higher on my list than ice age mammals.

One big reason not being a easy skip for me is that Game Designer Andrea Sfiligoi is in the team, creating the rules.

Doom that Came to Atlantic City had some well-known designers attached to the project as well, so I don't weigh a designer's name in a decision to back a crowdfunding project, unless the designer is the creator or closely associated with it. I'm also finding out that sculptors often create on spec, so I don't consider their names, either. Once the product hits retail *then* the designer and sculptor become important. But KS is not a store, yadda, etc. etc. As I see it, crowdfunding is project management, which means looking at the project manager.

Dina and her crew have started to add more artwork to the page, include a video, as well as more pledge levels.

I'll be the first to admit that this one seems a little more hectic in its management.  And I can see where some of the negative opinions here have been founded.  However, I hope you will listen to my motivation in doing business with this campaign:

The ADW gaming community, like the company itself, is in its infancy.  The voices there at the moment are enthused about the projects.  The few of us who spend time on the forums and comments have some pretty active conversations, and the ADW peeps are often involved in it with us.  They have been very supportive of community suggestions, and meet them with the same enthusiasm as the supporters offering them.  I think its a neat community.  Getting to see the creative process is a treat, and since its such a smaller scale than what Reaper has accomplished, it has a different feel to it.  ADW's frantic handling of the projects can be offputting at times, but in some ways its also refreshing, and often feels like a team effort, which makes for a more vested commitment for their entire bubble.  There aren't millions of dollars at stake, or thousands of customers being juggled; its not necessarily better, as Reaper is IMO among the best at smoothly handling both the campaign and their community, but it is certainly different. 

I can't advocate for ADW as an investment, as I have no clue if they'll fulfill, though obviously I'm confident enough to back them myself.  The company has appeared to be genuine and confident, which in no way translates to competent, but doesn't raise my hackles the way other campaigns have in the past. I'm finding value in the community of other backers, and stimulation in our interaction.  Of all the new company/new production KS campaigns I have participated in, it has been some of the most fun to participate in the community.

Obviously, this may not be appealing to everyone (or anyone other than me, for that matter).  However, I have been trying to more vocally support the smaller companies that I enjoy doing business with, and this KS fits that description.  

And I can see where some of the negative opinions here have been founded.  However, I hope you will listen to my motivation in doing business with this campaign:

You are encouraged to support any project you wish - or at least this is the atmosphere we usually try to encourage.

Our community has a variety of reasons for choosing to back or not back certain projects, and no judgement is made or intended against you or any other member for making up their own mind.

And I can see where some of the negative opinions here have been founded.  However, I hope you will listen to my motivation in doing business with this campaign:

You are encouraged to support any project you wish - or at least this is the atmosphere we usually try to encourage.

Our community has a variety of reasons for choosing to back or not back certain projects, and no judgement is made or intended against you or any other member for making up their own mind.

Thanks, Bryan!  I didn't feel any reservations about sharing; generally speaking, I find this community receptive to differing opinions, particularly when offered genuinely and politely.  Its one of the reason I "hang out" here, even if it is mostly lurking.

So they filled in most of the concept drawings now. They look reasonably gnomish but cover a lot of the categories of gnome miniatures I already have in my possession from numerous sources.

I'd definitely have to see more sculpts before considering backing this, as I don't feel the bunny rider sculpt they do show came off as good as I would like: The hair texture on the rabbit looks fairly "noodley", and from the "front" the rider strikes me more as a free standing erect miniature placed on the mount rather then appearing like he is really riding it. Both the rabbit and rider are also chunkier then and lacking in the fierceness of the concept art. 

1bb1683e6f606bb150b55774a3bd22d7_large.j

I like their concept art and the art from the book looks great.  I'm holding off backing because I backed their Ice age project and I can't see myself giving them more money until they have a proven track record.  I have to say the communication has been copious so far on the Ice age project and their enthusiasm is obvious.  I hope that fears prove unfounded but I'm definitely not going to back this project until I know they can deliver on their previous one.

• Like 3