Battle of the Sith - Spaceship Superstar Contest Entry WIP

Battle of the Sith Diorama Project

Figures: Zargun, Assassin from Guild of Harmony with Karick-Dar's right hand and Darth Vader from West End Games Star Wars Miniatures

Since this is a Sci-fi entry and I'm going to go pretty in-depth with my work here, I decided that it needs its own WIP thread. 

First off is the theme for my little diorama, it is going to be Darth Vader vs his upstart apprentice (Darth Malice).

Here are the primed figures.

post-7987-0-79251300-1404781001_thumb.jpg

I found a window to the Emperor's Throne Room on the Deathstar and resized it to be the right size for this scale.

post-7987-0-95354400-1404781002_thumb.jpg

After cutting out the picture's windows over plasticard, I then used a pen and traced in the areas which I'll need to cut out with a sharp hobby knife. This is where I'm at right now as I'm writing this.

post-7987-0-20180300-1404781004_thumb.jpg

The plan is going to be to get the windows cut out, then find some thicker clear plastic to put behind the plasticard as well as a small picture of some Empire ships and stars. 

I will also construct the throne itself to go before the window such as this:

post-7987-0-20718000-1404781203.jpg

rotj102.jpg

ejVCB.AuSt.91.jpg

As I go through, I'd appreciate comments and critiques to try to get it looking really good for the competition here.

Thanks!

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 22

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why aren't you done yet? It's been almost seven minutes and I want to see the final product! I'm a child of the instant gratification generation man, you can't seriously expect me to wait a reasonable time to see this glorious beast!

• Like 10

Looking great!

Do you have a Dremel or similar? Depending on the thickness of the plasticard, I found out I could not really cut through with my x-acto, so my solution was to get is as close as possible drilling and shaping with Dremel bits, and then doing the smoothing with file, knife and sandpaper.

• Like 2

Hmm that makes me think I might do something totally different... I just picked up some air-dry clay, but I also have oven-baked clay that I could use for this as well... I will have to see if this other plasticard cuts and if not I'll use one of the clays.

I am thinking clay would be too fiddly. Hey, worst case if the plasticard is not easy to cut (give it a try, but be careful please!) you can just stiffen layers of regular cardboard. I mean, it won't load weight, right?

• Like 1

Progress after starting over and then grabbing some dinner.

So I went with a thinner plasticard this time, and was able to actually CUT through it.

post-7987-0-13128900-1404792856_thumb.jpg

Here's the window all cut out now.

post-7987-0-13770300-1404792858_thumb.jpg

Next, I've got to look through my basing bits and maybe search around the house to find kind of super clear plastic to be able to attach to the back, but I'm also trying to think of how to attach it so that the glue isn't seen after it dries.

Any ideas?

• Like 10

Rounded it out to make it circular,  I also primed it so that I can apply paint later. Still looking around for some kind of clear plastic, kind of tired so I'll just leave this last update here for the night.

post-7987-0-66647800-1404797714_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts from the community on how to improve the build in any way or create those thin oval shaped windows that are around the outside of this main window would be appreciated.

• Like 8

If you're not doing a colored window or painting in a backdrop, I'd just leave it. The clear window might be more hassle than it's worth.

A printed backdrop of the Death Star interior would be pretty cool, but it does break the rule of 'if it's on the base it needs to be painted'. On the other hand, the rule of cool trumps all other rules!

• Like 3

If you're not doing a colored window or painting in a backdrop, I'd just leave it. The clear window might be more hassle than it's worth.

A printed backdrop of the Death Star interior would be pretty cool, but it does break the rule of 'if it's on the base it needs to be painted'. On the other hand, the rule of cool trumps all other rules!

I think I have it figured out for the window and the plastic along with the backdrop behind it! It hit me last night while I was laying in bed thinking about the project. I will use a thick sheet protector (like you use in 3-ring binders), place the picture inside the sheet protector and place that behind the plasticard window. I think it'll work out nicely and solve a few of my known issues. 

Painted backdrop of the interior? Are you talking about the sides to the right and left of the window? I'm trying to decide whether I want to make it with 1 wall or 3 walls actually, so I've been looking at the other two walls in film stills to get a good idea of what they look like as the most memorable part of that room to me is the throne and the window behind it.

Ever look at the tiny plastic ovals on top of flat squares on a 12oz gatorade bottle when the label's cut off? Not exactly a good "it's right here on my shelf!" answer, and I'd be shocked if the scale was right. But I've used them for windows and wall panels before.

Funny that you say that, I was looking around the house last night and we had tossed an apple juice container and underneath are the same plastic oval things, but they weren't clear enough for me, I might have to look at the gatorade thing or just make some by hand as I have an idea now about how I'll do those.

• Like 1