Casiatta the anti palidin

bblythe84

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good job on this figure bblythe!

I like what you did with the shield and her sword especially. My biggest critique is the picture quality and background - go check out the Miniatures Photography 101 Thread in Shutterbug sub forum (created by Doug) and try taking pics using those directions to improve the quality.

Oh and I'd love to see her properly based as it completes the figure, but I love basing so that's a personal preference.

ETA: Link to the photography thread. 

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 1

Just look at that shield. The red over blue with a black border really makes it pop. I'd love to get a clearer look at the left side of her face.

Also, because black is slimming, her armor makes her look gaunt, but in an intimidating way. I wouldn't mess with her in a tavern-- doesn't matter how much ale I'd drank.

• Like 1

I saw your thread the other day about not getting a lot of comments on your work, and I have to agree with Ub3r.  You'd probably get more comments if the pictures were clearer.  I'm really not good with photography, but he pointed you to the thread on the topic. 

The shield, armor and face look good.  The sword doesn't quite capture that jade look I suspect you were going for, though.  Getting that look is an advanced technique, but if you decide you want to work on it you should check out tutorials on NMM (Non-Metallic Metal).  Even just painting one of the faces of the blade in a slightly darker green with a lighter highlight on the blade would probably emphasize the shape of it a little better.  Like I said, though, NMM is an advanced technique and she'd intimidate the good guys on any gaming table just as she is.  ^_^

EDIT:  Whoops, my advice might have been a bit premature, it looks like the back of the sword looks better than the front.  Could still maybe use a little more shadow, but if you're looking for more of an acid blade look then it looks pretty good. 

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 3

I agree, she looks very intimidating!

Just look at that shield. The red over blue with a black border really makes it pop. I'd love to get a clearer look at the left side of her face.

Red + blue is one of my favorite color combinations, ever since I saw Renaissance depictions of the Virgin Mary wearing deep blue and bright red robes.

Add me to the list of people who agree that the quality of your photos is probably holding people back from commenting more. I think you've done something cool with the tattoos on her head, but it's hard to figure out exactly what's going on there. I look forward to your next Show-Off thread!

• Like 2

My biggest critique is the picture quality and background - go check out the Miniatures Photography 101 Thread in Shutterbug sub forum (created by Doug) and try taking pics using those directions to improve the quality.

Oh and I'd love to see her properly based as it completes the figure, but I love basing so that's a personal preference.

Yeah that will teach me to take quick photos moments before I have to head to work.  I will be working on my photo setup and camera technique to attempt to counter that problem and start useing a gray background instead of a brown one.

The shield, armor and face look good.  The sword doesn't quite capture that jade look I suspect you were going for, though.   Like I said, though, NMM is an advanced technique and she'd intimidate the good guys on any gaming table just as she is.  ^_^

EDIT:  Whoops, my advice might have been a bit premature, it looks like the back of the sword looks better than the front.  Could still maybe use a little more shadow, but if you're looking for more of an acid blade look then it looks pretty good. 

Yes the sword is supposed to be a blade made out of acid so that was the look I was basically going for.

Thank you all for the comments they point me in directions that I need to move and improve in the hobby so I really appreciate it.

Which brings me to baseing I have never really based a mini before and other than just adding flocking and what not I dont know where I would even start. So I think I will improve my painting skills until I feel inspired to create a base.

• Like 2

I do like what you've done here and second the opinions on photography. It takes time to get a set up that works for you, so that will be a process you'll have to go through.  Basing is important as well. In my opinion a figure isn't done until it is based. But again that requires time spent reading and really examining how other people approach basing. One of the things I did was to ask questions of people and ask for tutorials. People here will be glad to help you out.

• Like 2

Please post new pictures if you take them of her!  When the tattoo was mentioned I had to go closely examine the pictures for a minute or two before I could pick out where it was and the rough shape it was, but obviously your painting is much better than the photos are giving you credit for!  Sorry again if I sounded patronizing.  :unsure:

• Like 1