• Optionally enter a message with your report.

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dae
      I planned to go for the coloring suggestion on the box, except with brighter feathers. After base coat and a wash it seemed to turn rather plain. I keep the underside this way, while for the top side of the wings I started adding some variation to the feathers, gradually daring to add more detail and contrast. Took a while to get there, but in the end I was happy and called it finished. I even took a fun picture with it:

But now that I'm a few minis wiser, I demoted him from finished to lacking base. And this is where I am stuck now. 

I had this plan of making a sandstone cliff looking base. I positioned him and started building up terrain, working carefully not to damage the finished mini. I colored some stones of various sizes in a few colors so I don't need to paint as much around the mini and I started to glue my rocks carefully around the base. 

I kept working on it for hours thinking I am getting somewhere, but once I took a break and looked at it again from all sides... I stand by my rocks, I think in a few steps they'll look great, but the scene makes no sense. These are not cliffs, more like a stone quarry, what would a griffon be doing there? - that's too specific and unlikely.

Time to "delete" this somehow and start over... Wish me luck!

https://pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/12/18/griffon-wings/

• By Rahz
      Following a couple trials to print these (really I was looking for things to print with the clear green resin and Necrons sprung to mind) I managed to get a good set of 6 printed up. Then the idea skittered across my brain that I should put a light in them...

So I have started painting them in the stereotypical dark+metal+green and picked up a small box of LEDs along with a coupe switches. 

Here’s the group shot. 

A bit of Reaper Coal Black and some Vallejo Copper.  They need at least another coat.  

Test with a green LED held inside. 

Once they get a bit more paint on them, I’ll build up some bases to hide the following bits in them. 

Hoping to get another coat of paint on them later tonight along with the start of some edge highlights, but I’m solo-parenting so we’ll see how the evening goes.
      For now, it’s time to take the kids to their music lessons.  

Thanks for looking. 
    • By Rainbow Sculptor
      Hey guys! It feels like it's been too long and I miss you all! I received the sculpting assignment for the Brinewind Expansion Doxie figures and I'm excited to post a follow along thread to share my process!

These were really interesting figures. I received the concept art (done by the amazing Izzy "Talin" Collier) and began discussing with the art director some of the major changes that would need to be made. Mainly, we didn't want the orc character attached to the bed. She would be fun to play as an NPC or a PC and we didn't want to limit her usefulness for gamers by having her attached to the terrain piece. Izzy had already provided an alternate pose sketch for her so we are going with that. The more refined piece is still SUPER useful for costuming, attitude, facial expression, and general demeanor of the character. 

One of the things I really love about Izzy's art is that she communicates the personality and archetype of the figure SO well. I can imagine how this girl moves, how she talks, what she would like/not like. This is such a great skill to have as a concept artist because when the project gets handed to the sculptor major elements might need to be changed for any number of  production reasons. Even if I have to adjust major elements of the figure I can do so with a solid idea of what would fit with the character's personality. 
      I love this drawing so much! haha They're all great but this one really seemed like a lot of fun. Ron explained that the bed was made of salvaged ship parts (an idea I absolutely loved) and I think it'll be fun for people to find all the little elements throughout.
      Some of the body type influences for this figure were Kim K., Marilyn Monroe, and body builders. Here's where I was at after studying those references and creating a ZSphere rig that I was happy with.
       I moved the right arm to rest on her hip because I was struggling to figure out how she would rest her elbow on her lowered hip without looking unnatural/awkward. I felt like this had a good flow so I started building some musculature to make sure that the body type I was envisioning would still work in this pose. Turns out that I needed to adjust the right arm because I hadn't left enough space to build up the hip area but that was a simple adjustment. I made the arm a separate subtool by masking and splitting it from the rest of the body (dynameshing both resulting pieces) so that I could adjust it in the future as necessary without too much hassle. (https://i.postimg.cc/44V546hB/Orc-Doxie-WIP-1-5.jpg) Linked for nudity.
      On review we realized this was way too similar to the pose of another character from the KS so that right arm was going to have to change. We tossed around a few options. Maybe have that arm raised behind her head, hand in her hair. Arm down just hanging, this felt too lackluster. Elbow bent resting her hand on her chest, this looked too dainty to suit her personality. Tugging at the corner of her corset to entice a client, good but not great. We decided on having her pulling up her skirts to show a little extra leg. This seemed to suit her demeanor/approach to sales well and maintained a good flow to the composition so I reposed the arm and blocked in some basic forms.

...and that's where we end day 1. I spent the first half of the day gathering reference and working on concepts for other projects so this really only represents about a half day of work on this figure but so far I'm liking how she's coming together. Thanks for checking it out, i'll see you guys again tomorrow!

• By Pegazus
      Yes, a 2020 ReaperCon WIP! And a massive undertaking at that. I'm trying very hard not to nerd out and put this whole project into, er, Project. There's just so many pieces to keep track of, that maybe I'll just use this first post to keep track of things.

Some background stuff, starting with a quote from the "Paint a giant robot! Group WIP" where I wrote some of what's planned:

You can read the rest of that post here: Paint a giant robot post and a second one to see where I'm going with this: PLA print post in same topic

Biggest takeaway is that, while useful, my PLA printer can only do so much. I have a resin printer backed on Kickstarter, but considering it's now 3 years late, I don't think I should hold my breath on it ever showing up. Especially when I can get a new Elegoo Mars resin printer with more capability for relatively cheap (<$300). The PLA machine was bought with both hobby and household goals in mind, and it's served well. But the resolution just ain't there! More on that down the posts.

I also had the chance to gain some experience on  paper plants at ReaperCon (Main post for that in the Terrain section post here: Vellum Paper Plants - Alien Jungle (WIP)

Basically, I have the scrap booking machine to make my own alien plants:

Which now leads me to this WIP. This is going to tie all those pieces together. The robot WIP will still be to get a good camo scheme, but that print job is not going to be used for the final diorama. Instead, that will be the resin printer's job. So, let's break down the WIP work that I can see so far, and will be edited later to add things and mark completions.

Tasks to be completed:

Figures Needed
      Wight (being pulled down backwards, caught by hidden lines) Gremlin Unit 01 (stole a supply crate and ran; actually just bait to get the larger CAV to follow) Gremlin Units 02 and 03 (trip line pair, successfully snagging Wight across the chest) Gremlin Units 04 and 05 (trip line pair, successful across another part of the chest) Gremlin Unit 06 (burner unit, cut Wight's left gun in two) Gremlin Units 07 and 08 (trap door unit, hiding entrance to jungle path with camo doors strapped to them) Gremlin Units 09 and 10 (trip line pair, successful across right thigh) Gremlin Units 11 and 12 (trip line pair, broken cable across chest, possibly falling over from sudden jolt) Gremlin Unit 13 (ECM unit, some large radar dish looking thing) Gremlin Units 14, 15 and 16 (cargo units, loaded up with stolen supplies and headed out) Gremlin Units 17, 18, 19, and 20 (gun units) Gremlin Units 21, 22, and 23 (missile units) Gremlin Unit 24 (large gun unit) Gremlin Unit 25 and 26 (junked units; scavenged for parts?) Gremlin Unit 27 (2nd style missile unit) Gremlin Unit 28 (personnel carrier unit)  
      Wight Conversion
      Right Leg: cut from pelvis; reposition Feet: cut off both feet and swap positions since the tread is only on one foot Base: cut away from right foot, possibly keeping full base around left foot Left arm (maybe): cut gun into two pieces, having one falling to the ground after being cut by a heat lance/chainsaw rope  
      Details to be included
      Camo doors at front leaving marks on the dirt path, but hiding the ambush from the main trail Pieces of old broken larger CAV units around Wight gun cut in two, maybe showing inner details. May have to 3D print an add-on piece Dust being kicked up by the stolen crate (going to try using dyed cotton) IN WORK One cable snapping dynamically, with several bends and twists (superglue on thread?) Multiple vehicle tracks around camp Campfire and tents for people A latrine Other camp details (laundry, chairs, sports equipment, bored carvings, etc)  
      Jungle Plants (V=Vellum cuts, B=bought, S=Sculpted, F=Found, P=Printed)
      Large lotus flower like plants, but dry land and maybe odd colors with a large conifer cone growing from the middle (V) Jester hat plant (balls on stems around a central point) (V) COMPLETED Spiky yucca like plant (V) Jagged leaf plant (V) Tentacle plant (V) Tripod trees (three spoke trunks) (V) Large palm fronds (S) Coral like trees (P) Horn tree (lots of horn shaped leaves from a central trunk) (P, V) Ball vine (like ivy but with odd leaf shapes) (V) Cabbage-like jungle plants with large wrinkled leaves (V) Fuzzy vines (thin wire coated with static grass) (S) Anything I can buy from N/HO scale train setups and painted alien-ish (B) Reaper figures that can be clipped and painted to be plants (B) Odd trees with strange leaf shapes (onion shaped) (V) IN WORK Random grass-like jungle plants (V) IN WORK Stem ends from mandarin oranges (seriously, pull one off and look at it, stem towards the ground) (F) Anything and everything else (VBSFP)  
      Base mounting system
      Design and print modular tiles with bristles on top (basically, Bristle Block toys) Allows mounting of all the above jungle plants Fill in around plants with thinned plaster via a syringe to create the ground surfaces
    • By Standifer
      This is one of my armies that I’m working on for Dragon rampant. Sadly there are not many pictures to post of it right now since I don’t have many models, yet. But a large portion of it will be made up of Reaper overlords units with a couple of minis from others brands thrown in. 
      The first one! This is an Overlords Onyx phalanx by Reaper minis. I needed to compare sizes with my hero before getting a full force so I sadly only have one currently.

The other unit currently being worked on is a Wizkids Nolzurs triceratops that I am converting into a cavalry mount. I am using milliputt for the harness, and am planing to use paper clips to make the reins. I’m wanting to make it barded like a warhorse but I’m unsure on how to do it. Any suggestions?
      I hope to get my rider in here soon so I can start working on that part of the conversion.
      Thankyou for looking!

• Who's Online   18 Members, 0 Anonymous, 29 Guests (See full list)