The Enemy of Eyes

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've thought about making a study piece for eyes. A 2" flat square filled with as many eyes as I could squeeze onto it. But I'd either have to steal a cast from a bunch of figures, or sculpt my own which I'm worse at than painting eyes.

I've got one figure that I own the rights to, but figure a variety would be better. And I suppose I could do it for my own personal use with no (or few) copyright issues with my mountain of metal, as it would be a rather simple mold and resin cast. But figure the pressure would be high to "hey, make me a copy, just one" which is a road I don't want to go down.

You could always try the Blabbering Horrors or the Eyebeast.

Between them they have a reasonable selection to practice on.

Not beautiful eyes, mind.

^_^

• Like 4

If the Jen referred to earlier is Jen Haley I have had the hugest crush on her since, like, forever.

Nope, not Jen Haley. Different Jen on these forums, only reason I know is I follow this particular Jen on G+ and she has a different last name. It's funny you talk of Jen Haley though, she's been talking to people in the comments section of the Infamy Kickstarter seems like a very nice person too.

I've thought about making a study piece for eyes. A 2" flat square filled with as many eyes as I could squeeze onto it. But I'd either have to steal a cast from a bunch of figures, or sculpt my own which I'm worse at than painting eyes.

I've got one figure that I own the rights to, but figure a variety would be better. And I suppose I could do it for my own personal use with no (or few) copyright issues with my mountain of metal, as it would be a rather simple mold and resin cast. But figure the pressure would be high to "hey, make me a copy, just one" which is a road I don't want to go down.

You could always try the Blabbering Horrors or the Eyebeast.

Between them they have a reasonable selection to practice on.

Not beautiful eyes, mind.

^_^

My favorite mini for practicing eyes is still the Faceless Horror.  It has over 100 eyes IIRC.

• Like 6

Even back in Zer Old Days I can recall most of the minis I had (Ral Parthas, mostly) had exaggeratedly large eyes to be seen, I guess.  I didn't have too many male figures to compare, but I have noticed these days how it seems that female figures' eyes on average are larger than male figures' eyes.

Then there are places like Hasslefree, whose sculptor makes all his eyes realistically sized.

Jen painted this Hasslefree mini with little, tiny, realistically-proportioned eyes.

I don't know how she managed it, but they look great.

Wow, this changed my mind. I've just been on a mystical adventure thanks to you. I checked the old galleries I used to haunt for inspiration and realized that the eyes I love the most are the most realistically proportioned. I guess some of the professional work with bigger eyes were wierding me out-- pinging off my "uncanny valley" radar.

This kind of solves eyes for me (at least on a conscious level). Thanks.

Oh, and that Trista looks amazing even with big eyes.

• Like 7

Its kind of funny, we were talking to Gene this past Saturday about painting and sculpting eyes. He mentioned that people use to complain that eyes were to small i.e. Garrity eyes. So they started sculpting bigger eyes to make them easier to paint. Now folks are complaining about big eyes! :-)

Then you have people like me, who paint eyes outside the lines.

post-4823-0-69295300-1359953915.jpg

• Like 6

If you really want to practise eyes find a friend that's into historical miniature gaming. If they focus on any of the big battalion eras offer to paint the eyes on a unit. That will get you from 20-40 miniatures to do the eyes on that are basicly all the same. Do that once or twice and you will have eyes down pat.

• Like 2

I've yet to come close to mastering making iris' and the like but once I got my 3/0 and 2/0 Raphael, its been easier to do eyes. I'm not as awesome as a lot of people here that can pull off an awesome eye with a size 1 or 0 brush. I needed a smaller one. It took ages just to get the ability to steady my hand, have the right amount of paint on the brush and voila that's a dot in the middle of a white eye! Huzzah! I hope to one day be as skilled, and I have an idea of how to do it. I just need the bravery and stamina. One step at a time for me though. @[email protected]

• Like 1

Counter intuitively, a fine pointed larger brush can be better in many ways for painting small dots, the larger belly keeps the paint wet longer and releases better.  I find a #2 to be the best for painting eyes.  try it, you might like it.

• Like 5

Yes, it's all about the tip and the belly. I used to try and paint them with a smaller brush but the paint always dried out, so I started using drying retarded, but that threw off the paint consistency...it was a mess.

I did Noreth's (pretty decent) eye with my old #1, but couldn't do the last two steps of the DKS eye with it. With this new #1, I'm tempted to go back in and attempt those steps...only risking screwing up the eye on a more or less complete project :)

• Like 4