The Enemy of Eyes

Basic eyes aren't too bad.  Since my eyes have started aging, I have shifted to over painting the eye and then painting back the flesh around it and I find that gives me a lot more control over how the eye is pointing.  getting the color flash is really hard, getting the eye structure i have seen in some painted eyes is just beyond me.  And the bloody white dot... that awful dot. Every time i try that technique someone invariably asks how did i miss a spot or did I know that I had gotten white cast off on the minis eye?  Talk about frustrating.

Okay, enough whining.  For the record I like the eyes with out the dark lining.  Everyone does not wear Kohl as eye decoration, regardless of what judges think

• Like 3

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With this new #1, I'm tempted to go back in and attempt those steps...only risking screwing up the eye on a more or less complete project :)

Do it on the next project. If you go back to fix all your old projects as you learn new things, you'll never start a new mini. At some point, you need to declare, "It's done now."

(Different story for contest entries, but even there, after you've entered it, it's done now.)

• Like 2

Basic eyes aren't too bad. Since my eyes have started aging, I have shifted to over painting the eye and then painting back the flesh around it and I find that gives me a lot more control over how the eye is pointing. getting the color flash is really hard, getting the eye structure i have seen in some painted eyes is just beyond me. And the bloody white dot... that awful dot. Every time i try that technique someone invariably asks how did i miss a spot or did I know that I had gotten white cast off on the minis eye? Talk about frustrating.

Okay, enough whining. For the record I like the eyes with out the dark lining. Everyone does not wear Kohl as eye decoration, regardless of what judges think

Its a matter of visually separating the eye from the skin around it. You don't have to have a dark line but you do need to have shadows deep enough around the eye to keep the whites of the eye from just looking like its spilling across the skin, some type of definition is needed for the eye to look right.

Usually i use a darkened shadow of the skin tone i have for the face.  that looks okay.  Its the black rims around the eyes that give me fits.  especially since judges in local competitions will usually detract points if the rim isn't almost black.  Yuck.  But, in general, i prefer a much more subtle paint job than most.

• Like 1

Depends on your events.  I don't have this problem at Reapercon, Gen Con or any large events,  Its the small local ones around here where the judges personal choice keeps squirming its way in...   As I said though, I am no expert and my eyes usually are the white socket with a () of black or dark color in the direction the mini is looking.  I usually can keep them from looking crosseyed >_< or walleyed <_> But that is typically as far as I go.  Works for high end tabletop and most of my painting falls into that range.

• Like 1

With this new #1, I'm tempted to go back in and attempt those steps...only risking screwing up the eye on a more or less complete project :)

Do it on the next project. If you go back to fix all your old projects as you learn new things, you'll never start a new mini. At some point, you need to declare, "It's done now."

(Different story for contest entries, but even there, after you've entered it, it's done now.)

To keep myself from doing this with some of my older creatures (read: poorly painted) I hand them off to my players as community property to be used in their side games, unless they're special somehow and deserve to be retouched.

• Like 1

Its kind of funny, we were talking to Gene this past Saturday about painting and sculpting eyes. He mentioned that people use to complain that eyes were to small i.e. Garrity eyes. So they started sculpting bigger eyes to make them easier to paint. Now folks are complaining about big eyes! :-)

"Their eyes never blink and quite frankly they stink like a carcass washed up from the sea..."

It's wierd to hear descriptions of one's roommates in song form.

But yah...those creepy, creepy eyes.

Liked for a quote from "It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Fish-Men" from the HPLHS.

• Like 1

That moment when someone stops you while you're shopping at 7-11 and asks "why are you whistling 'a lot like christmas' in July?"

And you responed: "No, it's 'alot like fish-men'." and when they look at you funny, explain; "Reaper introduced me to it. This is the mp3!"

So yah, any day now, straight-jackets!

In other words (as I've said already) thanks for turning me around on the eyes thing.