Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

77161: Ghost King

Looks pretty good for your first attempt there Adrift!

I'd work on a bit more subtly with the OSL though, it should be brighter at its source and then get weaker as it moves further away, so for example on this piece you have the the whole face/shoulders/arms almost the same color as the source of the light, but they'd get darker the further away from the source it goes. Best way to do it is to look at other examples by painters and look at real life examples of how light reflects off different objects.

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

...that's {utterly obscene sentence intensifier deleted} brilliant for a beginner, man. Lovely work.

• Like 2

I need to paint this guy, but everyone keeps doing such a better job than I can, so I keep procrastinating. Great job Adrift. 

• Like 1

Ooh I love the story behind him and he looks wicked cool!  :wub:

Thank you! I'm a DM at heart and literally cannot paint a miniature without somehow contemplating a 'reason' for the miniature in terms of a story. 

I need to paint this guy, but everyone keeps doing such a better job than I can, so I keep procrastinating. Great job Adrift. 

Thanks! Please paint. Paint often and post even more so! It's the only way to keep getting better!

And always ask for C&C and let people know you want to push yourself!!!

• Like 1

It's a good idea to try those advanced techniques and your first effort is SO much better than mine.  Cash did a great write up on OSL on his W.I.P.  Look for the BONES Gravedigger and you'll locate it. 

• Like 1

at my first attempts with OSL i've found that subtle drybrushing is nice.

Then you can go on with really thinned paint.

I think the VERY trick about osl is that you should seethat there was another color beneath that changes tone as closer as it gets to the source

• Like 2

One thing that would really kick the sword into mind-blowing territory is if you painted in the end-on cross-section of "real" sword showing through the transparent "ghost" sword.

Admittedly, that would be hard to do. But it would be very cool!

• Like 1