Chaoswolf

Rules change?

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I recall a discussion about changing the rules regarding WIP and Show Off posting. I noticed a few threads in the Show Off forum where LadyStorm advised the thread starters that they should start a new thread for their next update, since the board was moving away from serialized threads.

Should we consider this the official policy now? Is it one WIP, many Show Offs?

• Like 1

Yep, I've seen that as well. They seem to not mind the 1 consolidated WIP thread, but want individual Show-offs to be able to tag properly. 

Official Change will be made shortly, we're still hammering out details.

And because we are still working on it, we can't give you a definitive answer yet.

• Like 3

IIRC the rule when I started posting was separate threads for separate minis, or at least for small groups of related minis, both in WIPs and in Show Off.

I'm not sure, but I think the consolidated WIP threads evolved from some group project threads in the wake of the first Bones Kickstarter.

I'm sticking to the old rule rather than the informal development for the moment. Once the mods clarify I will abide by that.

There isn't an "old rule" just a new one.

I started doing consolidated threads when I was basically posting 2 minis every 3 days, I was basically flooding the Show Off forum and it made more sense to be posting in a single aggregate thread.

I presume this change is tied to the idea of having less photos in a thread and enabling more discussion. Which makes me wonder how bad internet is in the US because I'm mostly browsing by phone these days and even the aggregate threads are not an issue.

50 million new threads from me every time I get the camera out. :;):

Haha, I'll try to ration then and only post a new thread for a new mini after a few days or whenever the old one's discussion has died down, so I font spam the show off main page.

Actually, I think part of why there might be a new rule is how difficult it is for the mods to keep up with posts in the consolidated threads as opposed to new threads. You typically don't see a lot of off-topic chatter in the single WIP or show off thread and eventually they reach a point (sometimes quite quickly) where there are no new posts to worry about. Consolidated WIP threads that have continuous posts tend to take more time to keep up with.

I presume this change is tied to the idea of having less photos in a thread and enabling more discussion. Which makes me wonder how bad internet is in the US because I'm mostly browsing by phone these days and even the aggregate threads are not an issue.

One Mini per thread makes It FAR easier to SEARCH for the minis folks want to see. Same reason why they have the tag system and that group of supposedly related threads at the bottom of each thread. See the fig you want to see click the link see the fig.

A compiled thread means

1. You have to guess whether the thread will have the fig you wanted to see.  

2. You have sift through the page to find the fig you want to see.

3. Other pictures in the thread use up both Reapers and possibly the user's data { for users who have limited data plans.]

Haha, I'll try to ration then and only post a new thread for a new mini after a few days or whenever the old one's discussion has died down, so I font spam the show off main page.

It isn't spam if it is valid content. I'd say post away.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, love the Consolidated WIPs and individual Show-offs. Let us not forget as well that we have 2 new mods and Cash is the one who keeps an eye on the WIP/Show-off threads now so that the others aren't spread so thin.

• Like 1

I've said it before and I'll say it again, love the Consolidated WIPs and individual Show-offs. Let us not forget as well that we have 2 new mods and Cash is the one who keeps an eye on the WIP/Show-off threads now so that the others aren't spread so thin.

What we like or dislike is not relevant (I despise the consolidated WIPs myself and don't even look at them now) its what Reaper decides will be the best solution for them.

Edited by Heisler
  • Like 1

What we like or dislike is not relevant (I despise the consolidated WIPs myself and don't even look at them now) its what Reaper decides will be the best solution for them.

Exactly, and LadyStorm has been going into the Show-offs, not the WIP threads and posting in them to tell people to start individual threads about those figures when next they post. 

Can we do individual show off threads for Reaper minis, but grouped show off threads for things like: My collection of finished Descent minis?

I'd hate to crowd up the forum w/ individual threads for that set, when I doubt people who don't care about Descent would even look, even if it was an individual thread.