Chaoswolf

Rules change?

Well, "Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain" is where trees would fit better....

Otherwise, I'd say almost.

Post a finished project in a "show Off" thread.

Start over, with a series of in process, post in a WIP (possibly multiple posts) thread.

The second project when completed, is a new "Show Off" thread.

Revise the project to have a twist, I could see adding to the first WIP thread or in a second new one with or without a title change.

Completed the twist on the project would be shared in its own Show Off thread.

< puts down popcorn >

Trees by Pendrake -wip Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain section, WiP format thread (formerly A Tree by Pendrake)

28mm Broccoli Trees -showoff Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain section, Showoff format thread

28mm Truffula Trees -showoff Conversions, Presentation, and Terrain section, Showoff format thread

That represents this popcorn-munching, neutral observer's edited understanding of the guidelines, as of today.

I'm just about rendered speechless by the appallingly aggressive condescension being displayed by the staff. Just wow. That gave me more to think about than any rule change/enforcement.

• Like 4

wow, this got heated.  The way I feel is that this is like someone elses house.  They have been pretty awesome about me putting my feet on the furniture and scattering my stuff everywhere.  I can follow a rule that they like in return for it.  I like this place because it is an island of acceptance and civility for the most part, that is why I stay out of Bee keepers and avoid controversy.  I would really like for that to remain.

• Like 8

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and walk away for a bit. I don't believe that anyone mod or non-mod was trying to be contentious, rude, or mean here, but text-only communication has a way to be much more direct and easily become misconstrued by someone reading it to take offense. Let's all try to remain civil adults and get along, let the mods re-discuss the topic in more depth when they get a chance to after their hectic schedules clear up enough to do so.

They are taking our concerns to heart otherwise they wouldn't even be discussing it again. Makes sense right? Again, be the cute little baby goat and have fun in this amazing hobby.

• Like 9

I'm just about rendered speechless by the appallingly aggressive condescension being displayed by the staff. Just wow. That gave me more to think about than any rule change/enforcement.

I think it's very easy (as ub3r said) to read into text only conversation. So far the tone I've gotten from the staff is that they're working on it, but they have very limited time to work on it because there have so much other work to do. It is a very busy time right now for Reaper, with Bones2 fulfillment and cons going on.

So, let's all just take some deep breaths and be

• Like 6

This thread is not sufficient? because While we have removed posts in this thread, they were all off-topic. We have not stifled discussion nor moderated anybody's opinion.  (EDIT: actually all hidden posts have now been returned)

Please tell me what basis you are using to decide that we have not been listening?

There was no indication that discussion on solutions was OK in this thread since you came in and asked us to give you time to consider things. To be honest, most of that stuff was one sided (to us) and not really a discussion with you or the team on solutions. That's what I was getting at more then anything else.

As long as this thread is open, we are paying attention.  I have even been doing my best to address specific questions and address comments directed at me.  Rest assured, we have been following this closely and taking everything into consideration.

I will admit to having my feathers ruffled at the suggestions that I was deliberately lying to people to keep them quiet, and at the implications that we were ignoring people, and at the further implication that our moderators were unqualified to moderate.  Those who know me know I have never deliberately lied to this community, and I have the utmost respect and confidence in our moderating team, whom I consider friends (alongside a great many of the community who are not also moderators). If we can refrain from further attacks directed at me or my friends, as well as further conjecture as to our motives, then this conversation can move forward.

We would like to see people using the guidelines, and providing real feedback on their use.  Within an hour of posting the guidelines, people responded with an intent to not break them simply by not posting.  We need *real* feedback, not gut reactions.

Please help us to provide a better community for everyone - member and moderator - by thorough, valid, and unbiased testing of the regulations to determine the real strengths and weaknesses.

Can we all agree to this?

you want real feelings. I'm real (last I checked) and I stepped on pointy stuff this morning, so I know I have feelings  :upside:

Seriously though, I am of two minds about the whole thing. I like consolidated WIP's. Some like Pixel's learning to paint thread are great sources for tips and inspiration for beginner and moderately skilled painters alike. Then there are Corporea's Kuro's and Cash's (to name the last three I visited) where a great deal of banter happens, but so does a lot of good exchanges of ideas and thoughts. I adore them for that. I also like that it makes it a little easier to follow what some of my favourite artists and influences are doing. However, I can also see how they get too cluttered and make for a bit of a hassle for the mods, and frankly, having now met many of the mod staff in person I don't want that either.

Honestly though, and here are my real, real feelings. I love this forum, I love the community of people here, many of whom I would be proud to call friends. I trust the mods and staffers to do what they feel will work best for all, and regardless of the decisions made. Whatever happens, I will abide by it, and remain here, and keep trying my best to keep this a happy place where friendships over shared hobbies, and a warm and welcoming community remain far more important that disagreements over rules. I hope the rest of you do the same.

• Like 13

Everyone just needs to take a deep breath and walk away for a bit. I don't believe that anyone mod or non-mod was trying to be contentious, rude, or mean here, but text-only communication has a way to be much more direct and easily become misconstrued by someone reading it to take offense. Let's all try to remain civil adults and get along, let the mods re-discuss the topic in more depth when they get a chance to after their hectic schedules clear up enough to do so.

They are taking our concerns to heart otherwise they wouldn't even be discussing it again. Makes sense right? Again, be the cute little baby goat and have fun in this amazing hobby.

Honestly though, and here are my real, real feelings. I love this forum, I love the community of people here, many of whom I would be proud to call friends. I trust the mods and staffers to do what they feel will work best for all, and regardless of the decisions made. Whatever happens, I will abide by it, and remain here, and keep trying my best to keep this a happy place where friendships over shared hobbies, and a warm and welcoming community remain far more important that disagreements over rules. I hope the rest of you do the same.

I agree with, and heartily endorse the sentiments in both of these posts.

Calm down, and let the owners of this very nice playground figure out what's what.

Bryan--agree. I was in the Navy; I'm very good at hurry up and wait. ^_^

• Like 9

It was not my intention to be heated, but in my opinion, the metaphor that we're fussy children who just won't eat their broccoli is condescending and also in my opinion, re-enforcing that metaphor coupled with a threat that we won't like the result if people keep expressing their frustration with the timeline is aggressive. 

I haven't threatened to leave or made any attempts to insult anyone for expressing their opinions or doing their jobs, but that exchange left a very foul taste in my mouth and it has absolutely saddened me because up until this issue came about, I had loved every second of being a member of this forum. There's obviously a lot of frustration sparking through the community and it is extremely unfortunate that it is having a very dividing effect on us all. It was not my intention to add to that in any way and I apologise if that was the way my post came across; I was simply expressing my honest reaction to what, in my opinion, were a collection of very poorly chosen words.

• Like 4

For what it's worth (not much) I rarely follow consolidated WIPs once they accumulate too many different projects. Ironic considering the vast majority of my posting is in the Random thread. As far as posting WIPs, if I ever get that organized I'll follow whatever rules are current. Reaper's house, Reaper's rules. That's my 2 coppers anyway.

• Like 1

Meh. My consolidated WIP has been consigned to the depths of (probably) page 10, or so, by now. I can start over with single WIPs if need be, but I doubt that I'm actually up to posting that many WIPS, and would likely stop updating them before too long. I have enough trouble just updating a consolidated WIP as it is.

As an author of a consolidated WIP thread, I just wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the rules change. I can see both sides of the issue pretty clearly, since while I love my single WIP thread for all of the reasons already mentioned (community feel, great place to track progress, one location for all of my stuff), I have been considering moving to a multiple WIP threads format. This is largely due to my tendency to be working on many projects simultaneously, and it's starting to feel a bit awkward posting an update in my single thread for a figure I last worked on 5 pages back. Having one thread per project would make that a lot easier for me personally, since all of my work would be better organized. Even having an index on the first page of my WIP thread isn't very helpful, really, since I can only link to when I first started working on a particular figure, not all of the posts I have in my thread about the figure, and I can understand how frustrating it would be having to wade through several pages of unrelated posts before coming to the next post of the figure I'm interested in. Heck, I've even experienced that myself when going back through my thread trying to locate specific color recipes I'd used!

However, I really enjoy the conversational feeling that consolidated WIP threads have. It's also nice when a painter just has one or two things they wanted to share or get advice on for a particular project, then they move on; for me, a post or two wouldn't be worth starting a whole thread for, but that's just my opinion. One of the biggest advantages of the consolidated threads, though, is the fact that I am able to easily follow the amazing artists whose work I admire most and am trying to emulate. I don't go hang out in the WIP or Show Off sections anymore, and I haven't for awhile now, since there was simply too many threads for me to keep up with, even before the rules decision. I like being notified when a thread by an artist I'm following has been updated. I would lose that with each project getting its own thread, since I would only get notifications for that one project, and if I wanted to stay current with everything that artist is working on, I would have to go track down each of their threads and make sure I'm receiving notifications for each one. Also, something else that just occurred to me: with the arrival of Bones 2, this community will continue to grow, which will bring with it more challenges due to a further increase in threads being made with the influx of more new posters. On the flip side, I can understand wanting to make things more intuitive to navigate for new forum members.

So, I can see strong pros and cons to both ways of doing things, and I appreciate that this is a very difficult decision with a lot of factors to consider. I will give the multiple WIP thread format a try, and share my thoughts after working with that format for awhile. :)

ETA: I forgot to mention that I completely agree with a multiple Show-off thread format. It really makes a lot of sense, and makes finished pieces very easy to find!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 8

My main issue is that my WIP posts tend to be one - three pics of a single mini & I normally work on anywhere between 3-5 unrelated minis in a session.  I admit I don't post to WIP very often, and never to show off... but a single post for a WIP doesn't seem worth it.  Especially since the minis I'd be show casing would be unrelated so would each require a separate WIP. 

With consolidated WIP I'll occasionally post my work.  With individual WIP I would rarely (only for very big projects) post a WIP.

• Like 1

I think if you're working on a few minis at once that could count as a "project". They just don't want every mini you start, ever, to go in together. I think that, say "SW's October Painting Project" would be reasonable if they are all for the same genre or game.