Chaoswolf

Rules change?

By my interpretation of the rules, as long as you have all the minis in the first post, the group can be as cohesive or as loose as you want. One mini is obviously fine, a small themed group is fine, and even "October Painting Project" is fine, as long as you show the collection of minis you're going to be painting in the OP. Is this right, mods?

My problem is though that I might paint 5 minis in the first post, then the next time I paint I might work on 5 different minis and then another 5 minis... after 3-4 weeks I might come back to 1 -2 of the original 5.....

My problem is though that I might paint 5 minis in the first post, then the next time I paint I might work on 5 different minis and then another 5 minis... after 3-4 weeks I might come back to 1 -2 of the original 5.....

Then, according to the current rules, you would create three different threads, updating each whenever you're ready. I find this style of painting is actually a tally on the current rules' side, since each thread will be much more neatly organized than if you had fifteen minis all going in one thread.
  • Like 2

This thread is revealing, isn't it?

It is honestly my opinion, however, that asking for "more time for consideration" then shutting down for a week while enforcing something that caused an uproar, then saying "when I said we needed time we meant over 7 months, now just obey the rules" is misleading. It is valid, and of course it is your house, your rules, but I also don't like how it was handled in general (especially "if you don't like, go make a blog" and "even if you don't like it, do it anyway but don't be fast to leave").

Because it is your forum, your rules, 100% there... but if I don't like it I can take my posts elsewhere. I don't need to be told to eat the brocoli, you don't know if I have tried the brocoli and already don't like it. I am a grownup.

So it seems that Reaper caused itself a stab in the back of the bulk of the people posting (as seen by the names and amount of opinions against the ruling here) and it is still unclear to me what the benefits are. 

On the topic of what I think about the rules change, it is clear. I don't like the single-minded enforcing of "all your minis in the first post!". I also think it is a silly ruling, myself. So I won't be posting WIP unless they are very focused. That is not being a mean, bad person not willing to give it a chance... it is my decision as a grown up that can chose if play here or not... other than that, I will just roam the painting tips section for nudgets of wisdom.

Does turning me (or others like me) away mean anything to Reaper? Even if the answer was no, which can be and I understand fully... was it necessary? 

• Like 7

By my interpretation of the rules, as long as you have all the minis in the first post, the group can be as cohesive or as loose as you want. One mini is obviously fine, a small themed group is fine, and even "October Painting Project" is fine, as long as you show the collection of minis you're going to be painting in the OP. Is this right, mods?

it is
  • Like 1

So....because now I'm confused. What's to stop someone from taking a picture of, say the entire vampire box and making a wip on that? O_o

• Like 3

Geeze guys, come on. They're busy people. They established a rule, and when people reacted differently than they expected, they agreed to reconsider. That's way more than they owed us, and is frankly more than I initially expected. They've explained why they're taking some time on this, and I think it's more than fair that they do so. They're clearly demonstrating that they care about community input, or we wouldn't be having this discussion. They could have just said, "rules are rules; do not question our authority" but they instead agreed to allow and heed dissenting opinions. What good, at this point, do you imagine antagonizing them will do?

(And you don't get to complain about being told to leave if you don't like the ruling and threaten to leave if you don't like the ruling. You have to pick one.)

EDIT:

So....because now I'm confused. What's to stop someone from taking a picture of, say the entire vampire box and making a wip on that? O_o

By my reading of the rules, nothing. As long as you clearly defined that this is what you were doing, I think it would be permissible under the current rules. I think there is at least one thread doing this already. Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 5

Yeah, if the Vampire Box is the project, that should be kosher.

OH you meant the stuff OUT OF the box. Yes, that too :P Provided that was genuinely the project it would seem both legit and awesome.

• Like 3

<snip>

I am taking this off thread because it would not really be positive, but my last post on this is that antagonising has gone both ways, depending on how you read on tone. I am not really happy about official posts here but chose to read them as helpful, even if frustrating, and user's opinions under the same light.

If not, all hell breaks loose... and this forum is better than that anyway.

Edited by Willen
  • Like 2

I'm confused now.

I thought every mini in a WIP thread had to be accounted for in either the thread title (for Reaper minis with SKU numbers), or the tags (for all other minis).

But if the only thing that matters is that there is a picture of all the minis I'm working on on the first page, couldn't I start a thread about painting my entire current mini collection as long as it opened with a picture of said collection?

• Like 2

Thus my question. If that is the case then wipe won't be filled with random things. This looks like what it means is this:

I get bones 2, take a giant picture of all that I mean to paint, doesn't even have to be the entire set. Make a wip explaining that I intend to paint these miniatures. I still paint them in my leisure but they get posted there.

If I buy random new miniatures that are not part of the bones 2 area then I must make a new wip for these miniatures.

This does not stop my bones 2 thread from being filled with advice, banter, and progress.

I'm okay with this.

I still don't wish to let my old thread go though so I'm standing by on the 'themed wip sub forum' and the 'consolidated wip sub forum' the consolidated sub forum, would be used so new people, and old can see progress of other users. I find that incredibly encouraging to see the different ways people paint. The 'themed wip sub forum' is where projects would go like painting vampire box or bones 2 or single projects for a game, customer and what not. I'd see it as a single inspirational gallery. This is the place where you'd keep the tutorials.

So one for progress, one for learning.

• Like 3

Hmmm.... to me, that seems to go against most of the reasons given for shutting down the consolidated WIP threads, but what do I know?

I think I should just stop thinking about it and go do some painting.

• Like 7

I think I should just stop thinking about it and go do some painting.

Best idea I've heard all day. I think I'll follow suit.

• Like 6

Hmmmmm Yes!  If I have to do an individual WIP I think that My KS Bones sounds like a great one.  That way I don't need to separate out my different minis and my posting style stays the same!

And I can do a first picture that will show all that I plan to paint!

• Like 1