Chaoswolf

Rules change?

I think if you look around your current location, you might spot a photo studio set up that would work pretty well to take pictures of miniatures. ;->

I think my current location will bring a return to painting and sharing of the painting when time allows for me to indulge in that. In the rental house, knowing another move is on the horizon into the forever home, I have unpacked sparingly. I have no reason to doubt the future sharing of my crafting will be more successful that the past.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 7

My new moto x takes awesome pictures of my miniatures (they're bit huge and insanely detailed though) I'm pleased to know I can do a vampire box wip though.

I saw your Mrs. Thread, I'd recognize that name anywhere (ETSY!!!)

• Like 2

Okay, here's a question: can we continually edit the first post of a thread, adding new minis, as long as we're appropriately tagging them? So if I think a project is going to include minis A, B, and C, and later realize I'd like to add D and E to the same project, could I simply add photos of the latter two to the first post and behave as though they were part of the plan all along?

@Buglips -

I can see both sides of the equation really and I think you are not really seeing how valuable the consolidated WIP threads have become to a lot of people, you are also not really seeing how passionate people are about them.

On what grounds could you possibly make that claim?  I am well aware of their merit, and the passionate investment people have in them.  I also happen to be of the opinion that the community can be equally fun, vibrant, active, and rewarding without them and have expended much effort in this thread politely trying to convince people of same. 

You may remember I encouraged people to make consolidated WIP threads, in addition to maintaining one of my own.  I should think this qualifies me to speak to their merits and be well aware of them.  I'm just making a case that we can get along just fine under the new system. 

ETA:  And particularly so, given Bryan's parameters listed above.  (Unless I'm mistaken, that actually means my Bones WIP thread would qualify)  That's really not a severe limitation. 

Just pointing out that you said, "Changing to the new rules is seriously not grounds enough to leave.  I just don't get that.  The new rules don't disallow anything except piling it all in one thread, and I don't see how it makes much significant difference and certainly not that it makes significant enough difference for people to threaten to leave."

So you don't "get it" and I was simply trying to say that it's about the passion for the hobby, love of this place, and friendships that have popped up solely because of these threads in a lot of instances. By disallowing, people become a bit upset and to some people that is enough to make them want to leave for a place that would allow them to do what they love. 

Yes, I remember your encouragements to have everyone doing their own WIP threads. It was obviously heeded!  ^_^ 

All that being said, I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, maybe I misunderstood what you meant as I know you love this hobby as much as the rest of us. I'd just like to see some kind of compromise come of all this so that everyone is happy with things. The best things come from compromise.

• Like 2

@Buglips -

I can see both sides of the equation really and I think you are not really seeing how valuable the consolidated WIP threads have become to a lot of people, you are also not really seeing how passionate people are about them.

On what grounds could you possibly make that claim?  I am well aware of their merit, and the passionate investment people have in them.  I also happen to be of the opinion that the community can be equally fun, vibrant, active, and rewarding without them and have expended much effort in this thread politely trying to convince people of same. 

You may remember I encouraged people to make consolidated WIP threads, in addition to maintaining one of my own.  I should think this qualifies me to speak to their merits and be well aware of them.  I'm just making a case that we can get along just fine under the new system. 

ETA:  And particularly so, given Bryan's parameters listed above.  (Unless I'm mistaken, that actually means my Bones WIP thread would qualify)  That's really not a severe limitation. 

Just pointing out that you said, "Changing to the new rules is seriously not grounds enough to leave.  I just don't get that.  The new rules don't disallow anything except piling it all in one thread, and I don't see how it makes much significant difference and certainly not that it makes significant enough difference for people to threaten to leave."

So you don't "get it" and I was simply trying to say that it's about the passion for the hobby, love of this place, and friendships that have popped up solely because of these threads in a lot of instances. By disallowing, people become a bit upset and to some people that is enough to make them want to leave for a place that would allow them to do what they love. 

Yes, I remember your encouragements to have everyone doing their own WIP threads. It was obviously heeded!  ^_^ 

All that being said, I wasn't trying to attack you or anything, maybe I misunderstood what you meant as I know you love this hobby as much as the rest of us. I'd just like to see some kind of compromise come of all this so that everyone is happy with things. The best things come from compromise.

That's a fair enough clarification.  Perhaps I could better phrase it as:  "Despite the investment in them, I don't feel they warrant such drastic action instead of accomodation."   As in, it seems to me to be easier to work within the new parameters than to fight against them or consider such a drastic move.

Basically my perspective on all of this can be summed up as follows:

If Reaper institutes new rules which are in contrast to something I have been doing, then I will be the first to volunteer my previous methods for the chopping block and enthusiastically conform to the new parameters.

This is largely because I have influenced behaviours, good and bad, before and so I strive to set a good example.  It may also help mitigate any future claims that I received special treatment, because I'm all on board with the new rules.  Since they apply to anybody new who joins, but examples of my actions pre-ruling may remain which do not conform to the new rules, I don't want anybody new feeling that those of us with large post counts and very active user accounts "got away" with anything. 

• Like 3

Another way to look at it Buglips, you started the trend, but in so doing you created more friendships even if we are unable to do it the way we have become accustomed. You are directly responsible for people making more friends on here than anyone else. That should make you feel good I think. At the time, you were trying to set a good example and trying to get people excited, it worked too well! Forum Mascot indeed  :;):

• Like 3

Another way to look at it Buglips, you started the trend, but in so doing you created more friendships even if we are unable to do it the way we have become accustomed. You are directly responsible for people making more friends on here than anyone else. That should make you feel good I think. At the time, you were trying to set a good example and trying to get people excited, it worked too well! Forum Mascot indeed  :;):

Well, yeah.  And that's why I'm so eager to try to politely convince people to adapt and stick around.  I think it can be equally good, and I don't really think it was the thread format that made the community great but the people and attitudes therein.  Those remain.  I mean, like Cash said - consolidated WIP threads are a common feature of miniature boards, but few have this kind of camaraderie.  So it's not really the thread style as it is the people, that's how I see it. 

That said, I'm not sure my Bones thread really does qualify since "Bones" may be too broad a category.  It wasn't at the time, but 600 SKUs is probably over the top.  It'd be like making a WIP thread called "Dark Heaven Legends".  Nearly 4000 units... not sure that's sufficiently narrow or title-explicit.  ::P:

• Like 4

There were a LOT of specific case by case suggestions posted in this thread.  (along the lines of, "If I do X and then do Y, is that ok?").

We *really* do not want to have the type of rules where the list if 1,000 items long and any time somebody finds a posting style or method that is not covered by the rules, we need to add another rule to the list.  I believe a similar conversation was held when KS rules were clarified and updated to reflect current usage of the forum.

We are quite flexible on our definition of project, as several others have discovered, and would much prefer to be able to work with this community to make sure everyone's projects are well represented, in a manner that encourages participation and ease-of-access, than to work against you all.

If you will give us the time that we are asking for to test the guidelines, going back to a system that served this board well for a decade, then we will, in return, look at the spirit of the rules, and the spirit of the project, to determine if a split would be beneficial to the cohesiveness of project discussion, or detrimental to it.  If after we have had a chance to look over the actual in-use results of this policy (as we have had 2 years to see the actual results of the policy before this reversion was put into effect), we are all in agreement, then we will work towards other solutions.

Is this a fair and acceptable request?

@CashWiley: good reference on the changes to how things are done at the library. I know that one of the thinks that irritates me in my job is when i hear, "that is the way we have always done it".

It would be interesting to see the traffic changes over the past ten years as i think it would be enlightening. I do not recal there being a robust forum 5-10 years ago...of course i was on dial up then, so did not do a lot of internet loafing (dang iPad is making me lazy! Lol).

After six months or whatever the period of discussion will be, people will have either grown into the new way or left. This thread is so much tilting at windmills.

I am sort of a total n00b to the Craft Corner portion of the forum. I have mostly been a lurker. I was looking at threads over here only when they pop-up in the updated threads list.

• I had seen that some threads were short and others were long.
  • I had worked out that some threads were only finished work.
  • I had gotten the idea that there were different styles of threads and methods of posting.
  • I had almost totally failed to notice there were rules and guidelines.
  • I had not noticed the long, consolidated, projects-in-work threads were a recent trending thing.
  • I did notice the Sub-Forum categories...

When I was inspired to attempt to post over here I tried to add the two little threads I have put up so far to the correct category and otherwise just make them similar to what others have done.

Point is: this thread has been a very useful, catch-up, primer, get up to speed, 'what should I have done?' explanation for me.

• Like 5

@CashWiley: good reference on the changes to how things are done at the library. I know that one of the thinks that irritates me in my job is when i hear, "that is the way we have always done it".

It would be interesting to see the traffic changes over the past ten years as i think it would be enlightening. I do not recal there being a robust forum 5-10 years ago...of course i was on dial up then, so did not do a lot of internet loafing (dang iPad is making me lazy! Lol).

I was thinking about that, but it would be hard to distinguish what happened because the move to different posting styles happened the same time the first Bones Kickstarter brought in a lot of new members.  So which was the factor might be difficult to tell.  I think it was a factor of the increase in members, the post style, and the strong friendly atmosphere people worked towards.  By which I don't mean it was any less friendly before, more that this emphasis helped accomodate the influx of new members in a comfortable, positive way.  Not all forums are so lucky when they get an upsurge in membership numbers.   

• Like 1

@buglips: I cannot do or say anything else more than ub3r and Cash and MS already said. I would add however that I was not influenced by you, nor am I now, except as a fellow member of this community.

I just like some way of working. I don't like other one, found out it does not really work for me. I am not "threatening" to leave, I might chose to take my posts to a place more kind to what I found out works for me. I don't think anybody can have a problem with that.

Ryan's last post makes it clear, it seems, that no revision will be done soon. The tone, or what I understood, made it clear. I am very, very frustrated about that, because cause that were better explained in CashWiley's post (and I could just quote it right here, honestly).

So it looks like this is a closed thread, and I would rather appreciate if Reaper just said so, because holding my breath for so long is painful, and hurtful for my feelings for the forum, TBH.

• Like 3

@buglips: I cannot do or say anything else more than ub3r and Cash and MS already said. I would add however that I was not influenced by you, nor am I now, except as a fellow member of this community.

I just like some way of working. I don't like other one, found out it does not really work for me. I am not "threatening" to leave, I might chose to take my posts to a place more kind to what I found out works for me. I don't think anybody can have a problem with that.

Ryan's last post makes it clear, it seems, that no revision will be done soon. The tone, or what I understood, made it clear. I am very, very frustrated about that, because cause that were better explained in CashWiley's post (and I could just quote it right here, honestly).

So it looks like this is a closed thread, and I would rather appreciate if Reaper just said so, because holding my breath for so long is painful, and hurtful for my feelings for the forum, TBH.

We still read every post, and the feedback is useful.

There would be two valid reasons to close the thread: One, the commentary could no longer be kept civil, at any level.  Volatile threads filled with invective and threats are closed as a matter of routine.  or Two, we no longer cared to receive further input.

Define Soon? I'm not offering a timetable, but I'm not thinking this will take two more years, either.