Chaoswolf

Rules change?

But it still doesn't address the more casual nature of the long form WIP, the between project discussions or little snippets of upcoming projects. I'd rather make one post in one thread about the three things I'm working on than maintain three separate threads, two of which may have minimal content for months or years.

And I feel if I began posting in the broccoli method, given my posting proclivities, the ensuing chaos of new topics that may or may not encompass a project may be seen as trying to be contrary. And it still doesn't cover discussion about what I'm doing between projects, which would then send people to maybe another thread in another subforum?

Example for 'ease of searching'. Searching for 'damien' turns up my WIP thread on the first page, the link takes you to the first post of his WIP within the thread. My Show Off, properly titled and tagged, shows up halfway down the second page.

• Like 6

There were a LOT of specific case by case suggestions posted in this thread.  (along the lines of, "If I do X and then do Y, is that ok?").

We *really* do not want to have the type of rules where the list if 1,000 items long and any time somebody finds a posting style or method that is not covered by the rules, we need to add another rule to the list.  I believe a similar conversation was held when KS rules were clarified and updated to reflect current usage of the forum.

We are quite flexible on our definition of project, as several others have discovered, and would much prefer to be able to work with this community to make sure everyone's projects are well represented, in a manner that encourages participation and ease-of-access, than to work against you all.

If you will give us the time that we are asking for to test the guidelines, going back to a system that served this board well for a decade, then we will, in return, look at the spirit of the rules, and the spirit of the project, to determine if a split would be beneficial to the cohesiveness of project discussion, or detrimental to it.  If after we have had a chance to look over the actual in-use results of this policy (as we have had 2 years to see the actual results of the policy before this reversion was put into effect), we are all in agreement, then we will work towards other solutions.

Is this a fair and acceptable request?

But it still doesn't address the more casual nature of the long form WIP, the between project discussions or little snippets of upcoming projects. I'd rather make one post in one thread about the three things I'm working on than maintain three separate threads, two of which may have minimal content for months or years.

can we agree to table this, as I have requested above, pending time to evaluate?

Given my new understanding of the current rules, could I reskin my nascent WIP as "Mini's to be used in an upcoming RPG" and keep it running?  My main concern echos that of CashWiley, but this would allow me to continue until Reaper makes a final decision.

Given my new understanding of the current rules, could I reskin my nascent WIP as "Mini's to be used in an upcoming RPG" and keep it running?  My main concern echos that of CashWiley, but this would allow me to continue until Reaper makes a final decision.

I have edited the thread title for you. Hopefully i got the right one.

Re: Off-topic chatter - we're usually pretty easy going about that stuff.  There are, after all, pages and pages of it in many threads.  Usually once it becomes a distraction from the topic, we split it into it's own thread.  In this manner, both conversations may be given the appropriate focus.

It is unlikely that this particular policy, which is board-wide and has been in existence and enforced since Day One, is going to change, although there is usually some laxity before it is enforced.  One or two comments is not a new thread.  one or two pages usually is, with each Mod having their own version of exactly when to split it.  Some mods are less likely to split at all, and we are reluctant to put in a hard and fast rule that would require post-counting.

Off-topic posts are usually only removed without split when it is a Policy discussion, and reaper feels clarity trumps all other concerns. (seen recently in posts in Reaper General about future KS projects, for instance).

I have edited the thread title for you. Hopefully i got the right one.

Thanks.  I decided to snazzy it up a bit though. ::D:

I am relieved for the clarification. I had been feeling a little guilty about not editing the first post in my miscellaneous Ral Partha Shadowrunners thread to include figures I added in after the first few. I see now that I was misinterpreting the new guidelines.

I appreciate how reasonable people around here are.

• Like 6

I have no reason to doubt the future sharing of my crafting will be more successful that the past.

For some reason, I had it in my head that you didn't paint, or something. I look forward to seeing your work! :)

Is this a more clear example?

Thank you very much for the clarification, Bryan, it answered all of my questions, and a few I didn't know I had. I believe I will be comfortable with following the new rules as explained. :)

I'm really sorry everybody.  I thought I was clearer than I actually was, and had I been clearer I am sure much of the unpleasantness could have been avoided.

It's okay, things happen, and as has been mentioned before, communication through text has its issues. *offers cookies*

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 7

can we agree to table this, as I have requested above, pending time to evaluate?

Sure can! I'm trying not to pursue the same logic each time, to present different angles to the long form concept. Make my case, as it were.

But yeah, I think I've got most of my thoughts on the table at this point and will step away until you folks have had a chance to think about and discuss the issue.

Thanks for taking the time to read my thoughts on the matter.

• Like 8

I very much appreciate the clarification, as I believe that one of the biggest issues has been with communication in this thread.

Unfortunately, even with the new clarification, this does not make any less of a restriction for me in the WIP forum. As a new painter, and especially one who took up painting minis as the entire focus of the hobby (I don't play tabletop games,) I don't have a specific theme for anything that I'm working on. I open up the drawer of unpainted minis (which is growing increasingly cluttered - I might as well have a drawer full of tribbles) and pick the one that inspires me the most and/or looks like a good idea for practicing at a beginner level. I am therefore only left with the option of posting one mini per thread, unless I want to try to force myself into some sort of regimented theme, which just seems stifling to my creative process. 

As I typically only have time to paint on the weekends, I seem to finish (or at least mostly finish, minus basing) the mini I start Friday evening by Sunday afternoon. Starting a new WIP thread every weekend doesn't appeal to me, I feel like I might as well just save it for the Show Off forum. Which, with my track record of Yeah, I'm going to work on basing this weekend...  <_< means that I will never have anything to post. Honestly, taking the pics, transferring them from my phone onto the computer, cropping and resizing, uploading to an image service, linking them and typing up the post to go with them probably takes a good 30-60 minutes each and every time. That's quite a lot of bother to put into doing something in a way that doesn't even work for me as an individual.

Although the consolidated WIP threads were far more ideal for me, a reasonable compromise for my personal situation would be a monthly thread, with the understanding that the thread would end (with the exception of any lingering comments/discussion on the previous minis) after the last mini to be posted within the timeframe was "completed." So, for example, let's say that July 25th I posted a mini that I'd started but did not complete it until August 1st, I would still post that completion in the July thread to tie up loose ends, but any mini started on say, August 3rd, would begin the August thread. That would still leave me with the potential for having a thread dedicated to only 1-2 minis if I had a particularly busy month and thus could not paint much, but would open me up to the possibility of posting 4-5 minis if I somehow managed to be particularly speedy (ha) but still wouldn't feel so limiting as a "come up with a theme or you have to only post one" sort of restriction, which gives me anxiety to even think about it.

• Like 3

Right, peace and understanding again at last!  Guess I won't need these horse tranquilizers to spike the water supply after all.  I'll save those for later when I watch Dr. Strangelove.

And also I now know Willen is outside my influence, so double jedi mind tricks on him for a while.  Triple, if necessary!

Now who wants a greasy, filthy goblin hug to show we're all still friends?  Cash?  Ub3r?  Willen?  Ladyst-

No?  No to that, I guess.  Yeah, no. 

No.  I'll...  I'll just sit in the corner and keep my unclean hugs to myself. 

• Like 8

There were a LOT of specific case by case suggestions posted in this thread.  (along the lines of, "If I do X and then do Y, is that ok?").

We *really* do not want to have the type of rules where the list if 1,000 items long and any time somebody finds a posting style or method that is not covered by the rules, we need to add another rule to the list.  I believe a similar conversation was held when KS rules were clarified and updated to reflect current usage of the forum.

We are quite flexible on our definition of project, as several others have discovered, and would much prefer to be able to work with this community to make sure everyone's projects are well represented, in a manner that encourages participation and ease-of-access, than to work against you all.

If you will give us the time that we are asking for to test the guidelines, going back to a system that served this board well for a decade, then we will, in return, look at the spirit of the rules, and the spirit of the project, to determine if a split would be beneficial to the cohesiveness of project discussion, or detrimental to it.  If after we have had a chance to look over the actual in-use results of this policy (as we have had 2 years to see the actual results of the policy before this reversion was put into effect), we are all in agreement, then we will work towards other solutions.

Is this a fair and acceptable request?

Just to avoid further confusion, I'll point out that this is meant with the US definition of tabling a motion, not the contradictory definition used elsewhere in the English-speaking world.

• Like 3

<tries feeding the goblin by dropping flies into his mouth when open... making sure to stay a relatively germ free distance away>

• Like 2