Chaoswolf

Rules change?

Can we do individual show off threads for Reaper minis, but grouped show off threads for things like: My collection of finished Descent minis?

I'd hate to crowd up the forum w/ individual threads for that set, when I doubt people who don't care about Descent would even look, even if it was an individual thread.

Hmm, yes. A good question. I'm (very slowly) painting a group of Iron Wind / Ral Partha Shadowrunners, and I suspect they would work better as a group Show Off post than individually.

When I finished the Bones pirates I posted them individually, but I felt like they might have been better served as a group.

I think the issue is more posting new (and especially unrelated) things into the same show off thread over an extended period of time rather than several minis being posted at once.. Whether you are posting a single mini or a group of mini's you are still only showing off one "thing".

• Like 1

Can we do individual show off threads for Reaper minis, but grouped show off threads for things like: My collection of finished Descent minis?

I'd hate to crowd up the forum w/ individual threads for that set, when I doubt people who don't care about Descent would even look, even if it was an individual thread.

Still haven't heard anything official yet, so pure speculation, but my feeling is that the answer is yes. It looks to me like what they are trying to avoid is long threads where it's unclear from the title what is inside. It's more useful for people to either a) search for a mini or group of minis they want to see or b) skim the show-off forum and easily determine from the titles whether they want to look at a particular post.

As much as I enjoy seeing all kinds of work from all kinds of painters here, I only have so much time to browse, and I'd rather not waste any time digging through threads for something in particular or waste a lot of time looking at irrelevant posts. Hope you undstand what I mean, and that doesn't sound too harsh :wacko:  People who are interested in that won't be affected by the new policy.

I presume this change is tied to the idea of having less photos in a thread and enabling more discussion. Which makes me wonder how bad internet is in the US because I'm mostly browsing by phone these days and even the aggregate threads are not an issue.

One Mini per thread makes It FAR easier to SEARCH for the minis folks want to see. Same reason why they have the tag system and that group of supposedly related threads at the bottom of each thread. See the fig you want to see click the link see the fig.

A compiled thread means

1. You have to guess whether the thread will have the fig you wanted to see.  

2. You have sift through the page to find the fig you want to see.

3. Other pictures in the thread use up both Reapers and possibly the user's data { for users who have limited data plans.]

Haha, I'll try to ration then and only post a new thread for a new mini after a few days or whenever the old one's discussion has died down, so I font spam the show off main page.

It isn't spam if it is valid content. I'd say post away.

We would much rather see 1,00 new threads per day than 1 very active thread with 1,000 posts to wade through to find your exquisite paint jobs.

Part of the use of Show Off and WIP is to help artists find inspiring paint jobs of similar models, a task made much easier by the one-mini-per-thread concept than the consolidated concept.  Searchability and accessibility of Consolidated threads is easy when they start, but less so when they reach 10+ pages.

We have also streamlined our thread naming guidelines for these 2 forums, again, for ease of searching.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Still haven't heard anything official yet, so pure speculation, but my feeling is that the answer is yes. It looks to me like what they are trying to avoid is long threads where it's unclear from the title what is inside. It's more useful for people to either a) search for a mini or group of minis they want to see or b) skim the show-off forum and easily determine from the titles whether they want to look at a particular post.

As much as I enjoy seeing all kinds of work from all kinds of painters here, I only have so much time to browse, and I'd rather not waste any time digging through threads for something in particular or waste a lot of time looking at irrelevant posts. Hope you undstand what I mean, and that doesn't sound too harsh :wacko: People who are interested in that won't be affected by the new policy.

If you Descent Minis are all part of the original post, then yes, this is a valid use of the feature. Our guideline is "Is it part of the first post, or should it be? Then same thread. If not, new thread."

We're not trying to legalese everybody out of understanding. We're trying to reduce the consolidation that makes searching and finding difficult. "All of My Descent Minis" is a reasonable title for a Show Off Thread that might include 80+ models.

I think the issue is more posting new (and especially unrelated) things into the same show off thread over an extended period of time rather than several minis being posted at once.. Whether you are posting a single mini or a group of mini's you are still only showing off one "thing".

This.

If a painter were to want to maintain a thread with links to each of his WIPs/Show Offs (and possibly random side conversations):

1. Would that be acceptable?
  2. Where would that thread go?
  3. Do you have a preference for any details of how the thread is handled?

If a painter were to want to maintain a thread with links to each of his WIPs/Show Offs (and possibly random side conversations):

We would prefer that this be done on your profile (under status or interests), or on personal Blog Space.  Blogs are free and easy to get, and can be linked to in your Signature or on your profile.

Edited by Reaperbryan

IIRC the rule when I started posting was separate threads for separate minis, or at least for small groups of related minis, both in WIPs and in Show Off.

I'm not sure, but I think the consolidated WIP threads evolved from some group project threads in the wake of the first Bones Kickstarter.

I'm sticking to the old rule rather than the informal development for the moment. Once the mods clarify I will abide by that.

The consolidated WIP threads, long-running Show-Off threads, and Group Project threads are, so far as I know...

All my fault.  I started all of that.  At the time I expected that these would be outlier threads and basically my two were only for Bones, exploring Bones, talking about Bones, and so forth.  But I think they have served their purpose there, grown rather too big, and the prolferation of similar threads (which I did not consider) may have made things unwieldy for the board.

But... yeah... I think I'm the one to blame for those.  *cough*

Anyway...  so is it Many WIP; Many Show that we're going for now? 

Edit to add:  That's probably the format I'll be going for moving forward anyway, as I start circulating some metals back in. 

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 3

Yeah, I'm kind of confused now too. I get the many show-offs (new for new figures and I already follow that rule), but not so clear on the WIP threads and whether or not we can keep them as continuous consolidated as I like to do.

• Like 1

Well I get them done in batches, but that doesn't mean I can't make a new thread for each batch. And if I want to show off my prior batches, I can link to them in the new thread.

This solution is acceptable to me. Love it.

Yeah, I'm kind of confused now too. I get the many show-offs (new for new figures and I already follow that rule), but not so clear on the WIP threads and whether or not we can keep them as continuous consolidated as I like to do.

We will probably not be pruning/splitting the existing WIP consolidated threads, but are asking people, moving forward, to respect the new guideline and, moving forward, many WIPs, many Show Offs.

Well I get them done in batches, but that doesn't mean I can't make a new thread for each batch. And if I want to show off my prior batches, I can link to them in the new thread.

This solution is acceptable to me. Love it.

Batches are fine.  The "first post" rule allows batches, and we've always supported this in the past.

We're not declaring one mini per thread - but we want everything that is to be part of the thread to be evident from the first post.  New threads that are thematically similar may freely link back to the old thread, for reference, like if the Marvel Golems thread had been 7 threads, it could have referenced the previous threads via link.

Those interested in using the long threads as meter sticks for self-growth as a painter/converter/modeler may freely open new threads that showcase older models beside newer models (even recycling older already used photos) to demonstrate this.

One last question, do you mind if we keep an "index" thread for our WIP/Showoffs without any chatter in them? And to this effect, maybe make another sub forum for these if possible? Then we can go in and see what everyone has done?

Edited by ub3r_n3rd
  • Like 2

One last question, do you mind if we keep an "index" thread for our WIP/Showoffs without any chatter in them? And to this effect, maybe make another sub forum for these if possible? Then we can go in and see what everyone has done?

We would prefer that this be done on your profile (under status or interests), or on personal Blog Space.  Blogs are free and easy to get, and can be linked to in your Signature or on your profile.

I will bring up the index thread topic with our other mods.  In the past, we have not supported it, neither had we prevented it.

We have that feature already.

Go to the user's profile, select topics started and you see their threads...

or for more of their threads, click the "find content" button and filter the search options.

That's a long way of doing things if you want to browse though. I'm thinking more for ease of use and a central location rather than clicking on each and every individual profile if I want to see what they have done in the past.

• Like 2