Reworking Old Models

Girot

Having recently rediscovered an old spark for a long neglected collection of models I found myself going through them all last night.   Today, using a paint scheme simulator, I FINALLY hashed out a decent format for the entire army.  It's taken 15 years and lot of experience to finally nail this down.  Unfortunately this means I am going to need to strip and rework virtually every metal mini I've already got painted.  I honestly just want to bring my investment into some kind of harmony as opposed to doing this to repaint crappy work.

What are y'alls thoughts/experience on reworking models?

• Like 4

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I should probably tell myself this, lol.  Unfortunately my OCD won't let me get away with leaving them be.  If there was a safe way to strip metal AND plastic I'd be stripping a whole lot more than just the few I've got in mind.

Pewter or lead I strip (with caution!), but there are so many awsome new bones to buy, if I shame myself with an old paintjob, I hand it off to my gaming group as community property. It's a time vs. effort equation.

Having said that, I repainted a dwarven army (pewter) recently with a new, cohesive scheme, and it was totally worth it. I was able to vary the skin tones and hair, yet keep the same cloth/armor scheme. The satisfaction of repainting an army to your most recent ability is unparallelled. If you can't do better, and faster, in Bones, then it pays to update an army to its fullest potential.

I typically feel similarly but in this instance I'm not dealing with Reaper minis.  The metal ones I have are all OOP (some of which are literally antiques at this point) so if I want revised versions I need to reuse them.

I've been having some good results with Simple Green and will continue on that route.  Thursday they're goin into the Dip.  I'll post before and after pics for posterity purposes.

• Like 3

I do a LOT of reworking on commission.  In fact I'm working on a large lot of old Grenadier D&D boxed sets for a client right now.  The experience always varies for me.  Sometimes it's great to be able to take a classic piece, clean it up, and really do it justice with a quality paint job.  At other times, you waste a lot of time beating your head against the wall trying to polish a turd . . .  There are an awful lot of old miniatures out there that just aren't worth the effort to try and clean up.

The Egg 

Edited by Egg of Coot
  • Like 4

I hear you on turd polishing.  That's one of the reasons I stopped doing commission work.  90% of the time what I was painting was so ugly it was physically painful working on them.  Maybe I should start a "Commission Nightmares" sea story thread?

So way way back I made a classic n00b mistake:  invent some super awesome unique paint scheme nobody else has.... and it's complicated as frack.  I'd forgotten just how much of a pain in my own backside I was back then.

On the plus side I did a full inventory and refit of my stowage.  Also after spending so much time learning how to actually paint working on 40k stuff is a piece of cake as far as actual skill, though there is SO much detail it gets laborious pretty quickly.

• Like 2