Jump to content

Wraith Knights (warning big files)

Recommended Posts

I took a break from Bones to assemble, prime and paint these astoundingly beautiful undead boogeymen. Assembly was a pain because, while it was actually very simple, Tre sculpts smaller than I can SEE. As a result there was some ham-fisted smooshing, and two of these guys got Bones swords just to make it easier.


These were all primed with a medley of Reaper Black Primer and Vallejo Airbrush Black Primer, all brushed on. Currently I prefer the Vallejo, just because it goes on with no thinning, quick and easy.


Armour was lightly drybrushed with API Greedy Gold, trying for a bronze or gilt ancient grave-goods look. Their frilly frocks, ah, robes, were variously washed, glazed, drybrushed or wet-blended, each colour got a different treatment, all MSPs. I am working my way through a quick-and-dirty OSL for "glowing ghostly bones" using MSP Lemon Yellow, Moth Green, and Pale Green.


Some of the robes got a new treatment, using GnG KS1 brushes. These have decent quality sable in a crappy quality brush, so they're quite nice for priming, drybrushing, and stippling. I used stippling as part of the "illusion of blending" on the green robes, which you can't see very well, but it worked nicely.





  • Like 12
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt VERY brave for taking those on. I was torn between glowy and boney. In the end I decided that they definitely needed something ghostly and ethereal about them to offset the "weight" of the armour and kind-of work with the BOO! of the sculpt. So I decided on the colours, more or less, and decided to follow the "brighter on the INSIDE" rule for fire.


That seems to be working really well, I am bending the rule a little bit to bring up some of the details, but mostly, INSIDE the skulls and INSIDE the armour carapace is the "hot", which I am still muddling about with but is basically Lemon Yellow plus Moth Green, then I go up to Moth Green, then a little bit of thinned Light Green to finish. It's all just dabbed on in thin layers, glazes and washes. Then I just dabble a bit of colour to show where the light should "shine"... more or less.


This has actually been a REALLY simple paint job. The sculpts are minutely detailed but also wonderfully free of clutter, a real joy to paint; the result is looking like being one of those paint-jobs that gives you a huge ego boost and looks way better than it has any right to, given how fast it was :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...