Impact Miniatures - Pony Kickstarter

Nocturne

Impact has always had a problem with their castings.  their dragon bodies have bubbles and most of their crests/fins have void or thin spots.  on the Ponies, I have yet to find one that doesn't have some problem that need GS work on the hooves or underside of the body.  I could rant on resin casting in general but Impact seems to have these problems a little worse than most.  OTOH, their art is excellent and I can handle most of the repair work.  I would just like to see the occasional piece that I didn't need to spend  2 hours prepping before I can even prime the silly thing.

And still waiting, not even a notice yet...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Impact has always had a problem with their castings.  their dragon bodies have bubbles and most of their crests/fins have void or thin spots.  on the Ponies, I have yet to find one that doesn't have some problem that need GS work on the hooves or underside of the body.  I could rant on resin casting in general but Impact seems to have these problems a little worse than most.  OTOH, their art is excellent and I can handle most of the repair work.  I would just like to see the occasional piece that I didn't need to spend  2 hours prepping before I can even prime the silly thing.

And still waiting, not even a notice yet...

i didn't know that, i'll keep it in mind. I think my armored pony can get away without repair work, most of his air bubbles are on the underside of his hooves or other out of the way places. The side of the paladin pony's face is going to be interesting to try and touch up, but i'm not too worried about the hippocampus fin. bit of green stuff and that's fixed up

Every mini I have ever gotten from them has required either serious touchup with greenstuff or serious resclupting of sprue connections and mold lines.  Mind you I don't particularly hold that against Impact.  the same can be said for about 80% of the resin I have from Games workshop and from Darksword, and they charge A LOT more.  it seems to be endemic to the media which is a lot of the reason I really don't like resin.

Oh and the scrubbing.  Again from past experience:  when working with their dark grey resin (as opposed to the stuff that's cream colored) be prepared to scrub with Dawn dish detergent, prime, and then  scrub again.  What ever mold release they are using for these is persistent. ::D:  you will think you have scrubbed the life out of the mini and then go to put primer on and it will bead right up.  spray primer reacts just as badly.

For what ever reason the more cream colored resin does not seem to have this issue...

Meant to say that I got mine Saturday. I didn't have a close examination but everything I ordered is present and no issues stood out. I ordered one of the original ponies with saddle as well and the new ones are noticeably larger. I'd have to have a close check to be certain on the castings but at the moment I am impressed and would like to get more.

Every mini I have ever gotten from them has required either serious touchup with greenstuff or serious resclupting of sprue connections and mold lines.  Mind you I don't particularly hold that against Impact.  the same can be said for about 80% of the resin I have from Games workshop and from Darksword, and they charge A LOT more.  it seems to be endemic to the media which is a lot of the reason I really don't like resin.

Oh and the scrubbing.  Again from past experience:  when working with their dark grey resin (as opposed to the stuff that's cream colored) be prepared to scrub with Dawn dish detergent, prime, and then  scrub again.  What ever mold release they are using for these is persistent. ::D:  you will think you have scrubbed the life out of the mini and then go to put primer on and it will bead right up.  spray primer reacts just as badly.

For what ever reason the more cream colored resin does not seem to have this issue...

I was just coming here to ask if others were having this issue.

I scrubbed really well before priming and it beaded up terribly for me. I guess I will wash and prime again...

I am constantly working to improve the molding and castings of the Chibi line.   We've really been working with this line of Pony Chibi to try to avoid the issues of the past.   If you get a figure that you think is damaged ... let me know and I'll do my best to make sure you are happy with ordering from us.

As for priming the figures.  All the painted images we show were primed using Krylon Automotive Primer white.  We've found that works really well as a primer.  We have found that most brush on primers are more difficult to use.

@Kangaroorex ...  if your experience with our minis so far is the Dragons and the original Pony/Unicorn ... that was our first generation Chibi ... we have really tried to learn a lot since them (including redoing several of those molds).   I hope when you get your Pony KS chibi you'll see we've made strides to really improve the miniatures line.

Edited by impactminiatures
  • Like 1

Had a closer inspection last night. There were a couple of bubbles on the tail of the mummy pont but no other issues. I'll leave them in a degreaser overnight and give them a scrubbing so the should be ready to go when I get to painting them.

I'll add the same comments (or close) that I made on the kickstarter:

I received my ponies today and the casts are excellent. Significantly better than previous ponies or other chibies from Impact. I did find some mold lines but they were very reasonable and some foam bubbles in the deeper recessed areas but this is also to be expected in resin minis and is easily remedied with some brush in sealer.

What I did not find in these are voids and bulges. There were no large issues that needed to be filled or puttyied be for or sanded and carved out before assembly could begin. And the casts themselves are excellent and very high detail. I will say as good or better than what I usually get from GWs failcast. Again excellent work. The fact that the sculpts actually match the concept art is beyond awesome!

Now on to cleaning and priming: after some serious trial and error, I have been most successful with a scrub in dawn dish soap, with toothbrush followed by a rinse and air dry. For priming I have had best luck with a "self etching" primer. Most Krylon primers seem to have this built in. Rustoleum also makes one and it works very well. Both of these make a fine painting surface and they bind to the resin, preventing the paint and primer from chipping or scraping off later.

I have tried Gesso, GW brush on primer, and Reaper brush on primer (black and white) and all of these have a strong tenancy to bead and pull away from the resin in some areas. I have found that adding some tension breaker and multiple layers can get a solid coat but it is more of a skin stretched over the mini than actual primer bound to it. This means that even if you get coverage, the paint over it is likely to crack and the paint can get rubbed off the mini very easily.

Regular rustoleum primer also has issues in that it tends to bead up in areas. Where it sticks, it's permanent, but it can leave exposed areas and produce an uneven surface.

That said, I have so far done 2 ponies and 1 chibi dragon with Krylon and 3 ponies and the Wagon with rustoleum self etching primer and all of them seem to be holding well and have passed the rub test (note you have to scrub off the previous any previous primer ::): ) started painting on three of these and all of them have smooth coats and no sign of cracking.

I hope this helps everyone in painting these little treasures. When they have a good prime coat they are a joy to paint, but without the proper prep, they can be frustrating and the paint can be easily damaged

• Like 2