Troll (Mierce Miniatures Darklands)

Trodax

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think some additional highlights would bring the skin up a notch.   The pictures have nice shadow and midtone but I am not seeing much in highlights .. could just be the pictures though.

Interesting troll I must say and the rust on the axe and buckler is very well done.

• Like 1

Looks good, very nice job on that. Is the base included, or from a different source?

Sorry, forgot to mention that, no the base is from Dragon Forge Design (the series is called Ancient Ruins). I also forgot to take a scale comparison shot, but this is a pretty big beast; that base is 60 mm. And thank you for your compliment!

I think he looks wonderful overall. The basing is great, the axe with the rust is fantastic and the skin tones are nearly perfect. I would just do a few more tiny highlights on the skin.

Thanks man! I'm might go back in one more time on the skin as you say.

• Like 2

I think some additional highlights would bring the skin up a notch.   The pictures have nice shadow and midtone but I am not seeing much in highlights .. could just be the pictures though.

No, you are right, the highlighting done was very conservative. I tend to chicken out with these things. :blush:

Agree the highlights could go a bit higher.

At the same time, like I've stated previously, I'm a fan of a pretty muted scheme for bad guys so I think he looks great as is too.

Really cool seeing one painted up on the forums here, I just got all mine assembled and I love the "little guys" ^_^

• Like 2

No, you are right, the highlighting done was very conservative. I tend to chicken out with these things. :blush:

With the exception of Willen we all tend to be a bit shy on the highlights

• Like 1

And nice buttcrack, BTW.

Yup, it's a good one. Actually, you should see the wart-covered, basketball-sized... object that's hanging just out of sight in this picture. Since this is a family forum, I made sure to take the shot from above, but a lower angle would have revealed how truly hideous this guy is. ::o: (My players will probably enjoy this at the gaming table; a bunch of family fathers in their late thirties, there will be no end to the giggling I'm sure.)
  • Like 1

That's an excellent piece. I struggle with rust, yours looks great, I will check the tutorial and is there a reaper equivelant for bulb oil .

Thank you! Yeah, definitely check the tutorial, I thought it was pretty good and basically just did exactly as it instructed. Nuln Oil is just a black wash, I think Reaper makes one of those don't they? I use pretty much exlusively Reaper paints, except that I also have a number of GW's premade washes (I like them).