Sign in to follow this  
ub3r_n3rd

WIP - Battle of the Champions (Red Box Games Vignette)

To stay within the new Forum rules/guidelines for WIP threads, I'm starting this one up for a vignette I'm working on as part of a RBG contest sponsored by Tre Manor on another forum.

These are made from "troll cast" which is a resin-like material as far as I understand it, both detailed extremely well, but the material is very very brittle. I've broken 2 ankles so far, so I'm being extremely careful with them.

Anyhow, here we go with the Unarmored Hordesman and the Armored Hordesman!

post-7987-0-46367100-1406348303_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-80005200-1406348304_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-10469200-1406348306_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-44662900-1406348307_thumb.jpg

At this point, I decided I wanted the Unarmored to have African American skin tones, so I did a bit of research, used the Reaper power palette and went ahead with these 5 colors. So far he's gotten the base of Ruddy Leather and then I went over it a few times with a mix of 1:1 Ruddy Leather and Intense Brown.

post-7987-0-07354800-1406348309_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-47944500-1406348310_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-05670600-1406348312_thumb.jpg

More pics as I do more updates.

C&C are welcomed and appreciated, thanks for looking!

• Like 14

I actually changed up the recipe a bit as I felt it was too lightly colored for what I wanted after I started applying paint.

Here's what it looks like now.

Colors used: Ruddy Brown, Intense Brown, Tanned Shadow, and Olive Skin... Basically played mad scientist with the blends and the highlights until I was happy with the overall look of it.

post-7987-0-51070800-1406354193_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-87485500-1406354194_thumb.jpg

Thoughts? 

• Like 14

Thanks! It's a tad lighter in these pics than in hand. The cloth kilt now has a base coat of Spattered Crimson on it. I think I'm done for the night, more pics and progress over the weekend.

Good start. Lighter on the tops of his arms and shoulders. Look up pictures of ahnuld from back in the day for a reference. Or perhaps just go watch predator.

• Like 1

I really like this. I may steal that skin tone from you...I mean get inspiration. 

• Like 1

Digging the skin tone a lot, will have to make note of the colours you used for future reference!

Yeah I changed it up a bit as the 2nd post states. I'm going to add a few more highlights to the skin and get to work on the fiddly bits.

So a question to everyone. I'm doing the cloth part of kilt in red. What colors does everyone think on the fur and armor stuff?

Nice work.

With the olive in the skin being your green, and a red kilt, I would go for neutral colors for the rest ie: ivory off-white for furs (like dirty clear fur) and grey/steel for armour. I think for that piece, less would really be more!

• Like 2

More WIP pics!

Added some more depth to the skin, highlights, glazing, shading. More base coating of the spattered crimson on the kilt.

post-7987-0-88382100-1406429739_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-10155500-1406429741_thumb.jpg

C&C Welcomed!

I'm trying to decide on other colors right now. I'm kind of leaning towards gray for the fur on the kilt right now.

• Like 6

Nice work.

With the olive in the skin being your green, and a red kilt, I would go for neutral colors for the rest ie: ivory off-white for furs (like dirty clear fur) and grey/steel for armour. I think for that piece, less would really be more!

Thanks! I see you posted when I was posting so I didn't see it until AFTER I posted lol.

Ivory off-white sounds good and I like that gray steel armor. Thanks for the suggestions my friend, invaluable!

• Like 2

Yeah, I am just afraid that if you do, say, a bright gold on the belt, it would "ruin" by comparison the contrast levels on the skin. 

And if you don't like neutral, you can always glaze color over a B&W armor... but I would only do it in neutral colors and add spots of color (dirt, rust, etc) as needed, if needed.

• Like 1