Good call Willen. I'm doing a dark grey wash right now in the recesses of the fur, then I'll slowly bring it up to an ivory color. The Belt I'll probably do in a darker brown leather and then the chains and metal bits will be a dirty steel with dirty yellow skulls that hang from the chains on the front and back.

• Like 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fixed a spot on the back of the right hand bracer and added the two axes.           Here's the Armored Hordesman, I've attached his spiked mace.        Now I'm having some problems thi

I actually changed up the recipe a bit as I felt it was too lightly colored for what I wanted after I started applying paint.   Here's what it looks like now.   Colors used: Ruddy Brown, Intense B

To stay within the new Forum rules/guidelines for WIP threads, I'm starting this one up for a vignette I'm working on as part of a RBG contest sponsored by Tre Manor on another forum.   These are ma

Posted Images

A bit more progress, fur (mix of linen white and yellowed bone with the recesses being a mix of grey liner and black wash) and starting on the brown belt and brown bracer (chestnut brown).

post-7987-0-54728400-1406441446_thumb.jpg

post-7987-0-74618500-1406441447_thumb.jpg

C&C Welcomed & Appreciated!

• Like 10

Willen is the zen master of color mixing so I think he is leading you in the right direction.   The focus on this piece is the skin tones and facial expression so keeping the rest to neutral makes a lot of sense.  I would also add in, as he suggested, some rust or aging to the garments to make him look well travelled and a little cranky from bieng on the road so long!  :;):

• Like 1

What weapons does he usually have?

Modular. The left hand does have a hilt though. So I'm thinking either a sword and an axe or two swords. I'll take some pics and show what I have available and see what everyone thinks looks best.

Great job as usual!

The kilt is kinda flat... mmm... so I wonder, are you thinking of doing something else? Like staining? Or if not, perhaps go with a light red-brown color over some of the edges to get some more definition? Have you seen how other people "freehand" scratches? They help bring a lot of texture to flat surfaces...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Those are so friggin small.  Looks like you got things well in hand though.  Nice work.

Thanks!  ^_^

I need to pick up the brush again tonight, been like a week since I've had the time/motivation to do so. 

• Like 1

Sir,

Your work looks great!

For my own edification: Could you put a brief step by step of the skin and how you did it, if that is at all possible, I'm very intrigued.

Thanks Arc!

Colors used: Ruddy Brown, Intense Brown, Tanned Shadow, and Olive Skin... 

I work from Dark to Light in colors (colors listed in order above).

Step 1 - Ruddy Brown mixed with a drop of flow improver and some distilled water (do this mix of flow/water for all my paints to thin down). Cover all exposed skin with 2-3 layers for good coverage.

Step 2 - With my skins, I do a lot of glazing of the colors where I'll thin down even more after the base coat to be able to get the colors where I want them. So I took a very thinned down Intense Brown/Ruddy Brown mix glaze using a dampened brush (I use either card stock or palette paper to take off excess) and go over the higher areas, paying attention not to get any into the deeper areas or areas where I want it to be darker.

Step 3 - More glazing of skin tones, this time with only Intense Brown, again going a bit higher on the tops of the muscles and body.

Step 4 - Glazing mix of Intense Brown/Tanned Shadow

Step 5 - Glazing of just Tanned Shadow

Step 5b - Go back in with some really thin Ruddy Brown if I accidentally cover too much of it and need to darken shadows again or get a good blend.

Step 6 - Glazing of Tanned Shadow/Olive Skin

Step 7 - Glazing of Olive Skin

*When I talk of glazing mixes of colors I am doing 1:1 of the two colors with 1 drop of flow improver and 3-4 drops of water. I'll do 2-3 coats of each step until I'm happy with the colors that come out of it.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Sir,

Your work looks great!

For my own edification: Could you put a brief step by step of the skin and how you did it, if that is at all possible, I'm very intrigued.

Thanks Arc!

[...]

*When I talk of glazing mixes of colors I am doing 1:1 of the two colors with 1 drop of flow improver and 3-4 drops of water. I'll do 2-3 coats of each step until I'm happy with the colors that come out of it.

Hope this helps!

You're the man,

Thank you sir!

• Like 1