77177: Wyrmgear, Clockwork Dragon

aku-chan

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice use of color... makes me want to go back and fix mine. I just used different metallic finishes, like you did, but didn't use nonmetallic colors.

And if you dislike the big open areas of the wings, well, you're still doing better than me. I couldn't get the brushstrokes not to show...

• Like 1

When it comes to areas like wings, I bless my cheap $30 airbrush and shop compressor. I can get the paint to lay without brush strokes but it may take 20 layers before I get to a saturation I am happy with.

Using the air brush usually takes 2 coats and leaves an even surface.

Really nice work on the dragon! Is the Scottish flavor intentional? I feel I should find him curled among a hoard of whiskey barrels deep in a highlands warehouse

• Like 1

Really, Aku Chan, this is an impressive dragon.  The best part of the giant white wings is that a khaki wash (intentional here) left on them and laid flat should produce a nice fabric appearance.  Use some yellowish leather brown along the wings and you should have a nice canvas type effect (this is my plan for my Wyrmgear's wings, I'll let you know how it turns out).  The cow catcher (his upper lip) could use a little deepening of the recesses, but that could be the camera.

The entire mini looks really nice.  I like the differences in the metallic areas. The gem work is great, which is really hard given the size of those gems.  And the shield work is really good, you've got the heraldry bit down nicely.

• Like 1

The metal finish on the wing mechanism is great! Really looks like some mysterious device you might find in your grandads attic.  The gyms are a sweet detail.  Just like a pocket watch, it's got a jewel-bearing mechanism. Awesome basing too!  I'm not a fan of the red and blue shields though.  For a clockwork creature, I always imagine a Victorian or steampunkish design.  But it's easy for me to recommend.