Vacay Tips in San Antonio

Kharsin

So I'm on vacation in San Antonio for a few days. Anything here miniature related that I shouldn't miss? I know there's a store with army miniatures in the Alamo area that I always visited before I started painting minis, and I'm probably going to check that out again in a few days. Anything else of interest to our Hobby here? When I get home, I need to get cracking on the sci-fi contest, and I have a great idea for the giant one as well...

• Like 3

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help since I'm not in the San Antonio area, but it warms my heart to see that someone else is crazy enough to incorporate mini's into planning their vacation.

Lol There's a lot of posts by people asking for FLGs near where they are visiting. I think we are all a little fundamentally crazy.

• Like 5

Warning: I'm not from SA but thanks to Google fu I have found a few places for you to check out.

1) Dragon's Lair - supposedly the most popular of the FLGs there. Looks like they have a pretty neat and full gaming schedule for the week with even Pathfinder Society on the 31st. They have a website, but since it has an estore I'll let you just google it.

2) Central Command Gaming - seems like the spot you would want to hit if you are a big wargammer. Ummm apparently, there is mixed information about whether this is even open still or not.

3) Alien Worlds San Pedro - a comics/collectable shop that has a pretty nice facebook page. (there are two of these store locations)

4) Heroes and Fantasies - looks to be a pretty large store and they host several different games. Also, if you are a comic book fan, Neal Adams will be there on Wednesday signing it seems. (there are two of these store locations)

5) Gamerz Pair-a-Dice - looks like a semi mediocre place, with lots of card gaming and a smidgen of other gaming.

Not exactly sure what area you are in but you can probably look all of them up and see which is closest.

• Like 4

I AM from San Antonio.

1. Dragon's Lair is good. They've got most of what you'd want in a game and comic shop, plus on site gaming, and a really excellent staff. However, if it's more than a few years old and hasn't sold, it ain't there. Also not so hot for back issues. Great community, though.

2. Central Command used to be excellent, but unless they've moved and reopened in the past year, they are quite dead; they used to be located in the Purple Cactus, a big box store that went out of business and repurposed as a collectibles and gaming emporium, broken down into various areas run by various vendors. Loved that place... but it is no more. So unless CC's moved, I wouldn't expect much.

3. Alien Worlds has two locations, and they're pretty good, but tend to have less breadth of stock than Dragon's Lair. Also has no old merch, and last I checked, no Games Workshop merch.

4. Heroes and Fantasies has something like five locations. I am not crazy about the owner and his sons, who run the stores. If you want Magic: The Gathering, back issues of comics, Silver Age comics, and various toys and collectibles, it's great. Otherwise, not so much. They aren't crazy about RPG stuff, because it doesn't generate future sales the way Magic does. They DO have a habit of hanging on to every single item that ever came through the store, instead of having sales, so sometimes you can find old OOP merch, depending on the store.

5. Dibble's Hobbies is hard to get to unless you've got GPS on your phone or you know where you're going, but is well worth it. This is the Game Shop That Time Forgot. They deal in gaming, model railroad, and model kits, mostly, no comics and not much in the way of cards. They DO have a wall of miniatures dating back to Ral Partha's heyday, a decent selection of GW stuff, much of which is no longer in production, and they routinely time travel in order to get old Avalon Hill and SPI and TSR merchandise, which goes up on the shelves and looks like it's been there since 1978. Strongly recommended.

• Like 6

...oh, yeah, Inarah reminded me: there is a store next to the Alamo, King's X, that sells historical figurines and diorama parts and suchlike. Their prices are quite stiff, and the scale tends to be considerable bigger than anything I usually work with, but the store itself is a marvel, and not to be missed if you're going to be in the downtown area.

The Alamo itself is a necessary stop if you're touring San Antonio.

Not so much the Alamo Experience across the street; it claims to be an immersive historical show, but it's not really worth the time and money; if you're inclined in that direction, go with the IMAX theatre's Alamo movie, in the mall next door. The Ripleys' Believe It Or Not Odditorium is also worthwhile. And lots of interesting Mexican import stores and junk shops around the Alamo.

• Like 4

I've been to Dragon's Lair, and was happy with the visit. I remember them having a pretty large selection. I'll definitely check out Dibble's Hobbies the next time I'm in San Antonio. Thanks for the lead, Dr. Bedlam.

• Like 3

Dibble's is just flat BIZARRE. You'll find minis, games, and accessories there that have been out of production for decades. You'll wanna use Google to find the place, and map out your route; it's a trick to get there. And I believe they're closed Mondays. Nice people, though, and very helpful.

Haven't been there in more than a year, so I couldn't tell you what you'll find... but they normally have a fair number of old hardback and softback D&D stuff in stock, clear back to second edition.

• Like 1

Here's another vote for Dibble's.  Super friendly staff and great selection of practically anything hobby related.  I picked up some old TSR D&D books and some Ral Partha, Grenadier, etc. minis there just the other day.

Outside of that and getting lucky at HPB, there's not a lot of places to get older/used RPG stuff (that I know of) in SA.  Houston and Austin have a few more options if you have happen to be heading out either of those ways.

A few other nerd-trips to do in Texas (depending on where you'll be) are to visit Reaper HQ in Denton and RE Howard's house in Cross Plains.

The Half Price Books outlets in Austin and Dallas are gold mines of old RPG materials. The ones in San Antonio, less so. I try to avoid Houston.

CrimsonStar is quite right about Reaper HQ, but the Howard House is (a) WAY the hell and gone out in the boonies -- it's a day trip in and of itself, simply due to distance -- and (b) unless you show up during the Howard Festival, it's pretty much "by arrangement only." Unless you just wanna take pictures of the outside of the house.

Edited by Dr.Bedlam