30002 54mm Belladonna

Sculpted by James Van Schaik

Normally I do not do W.I.P.'s as my life is so hectic and keeping up with one is a bit of a strain for me. However this is my first attempt at a 54mm and I would like some help from my fellow painters.

post-12251-0-50220600-1406564825.jpg

post-12251-0-34688400-1406564913.jpg

The only thing I'm trying to accomplish with her is nice, tidy brushwork, highlights in all the right places, depth of colour and separation between areas. Nothing fancy.  She also has a large base and backdrop. I'm working on that now.

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for looking. 

• Like 18

I think she looks great Anne, really I can't pick apart your work here as you have a style of painting that is always so warm and inviting. She looks nearly finished to me, maybe just a couple more spot highlights on the top of the areas that'd receive the light, but even if you didn't she'd still look wonderful. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what else you are working on for her basing stuff.

• Like 1

I think she looks great Anne, really I can't pick apart your work here as you have a style of painting that is always so warm and inviting. She looks nearly finished to me, maybe just a couple more spot highlights on the top of the areas that'd receive the light, but even if you didn't she'd still look wonderful. I'm actually looking forward to seeing what else you are working on for her basing stuff.

That's one thing I noticed right off. I'll bring those up. Thank you for your kindness.

The hair and skin seem to close in color from the picts and blend together. Highlights as Uber suggests would help this.

Yeah, I know that's a problem. I was trying to do the hair as a strawberry blonde, something I've not done before. Perhaps if I add more red to the hair and do a stronger lining between face and hair that would help. 

Thank you both for taking the time to respond.

• Like 2

Looking good!

Couple questions/remarks:

- As oober kinda said, the face lacks highlights, or contrast, to make it more "focal". It also blends with the hair... right now my eyes are brought down into her legs because the face is too dark.

- Are the hands gloves? They look grey, and I was expecting that nice skin color as you achieved on her belly!

- Lately I've been on the mood of trying to simulate different textures... here, for example, I would add some "reflection dots" or points of light on the metallic things, like the guns, to make them appear more "reflective" and metal, as opposed to cloth and leather. The edge highlight is great but on those same edges, I would add a dot here and there, as appropiate, of a brighter off-white.

• Like 2

Like others have said, the hair and skin are similar.  Perhaps find some pictures of people that have the look you're going for?  I know my daughter has a dark strawberry color to her hair, and her skin is super pale.  I know it would be less than fun to change either the skin tone or the hair color at this point, especially since individual areas look great.  A glaze on the hair would probably be easiest.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep up and see how things progress, it's always fun to see what you're painting!  ^_^

• Like 3

Anne could we see a straight shot of her face on?   It is hard to judge when the face is only in profile.  I also find it hard to pick at (not just because it is your work which is hard to pick at normally) with the current cork being (or at least it seems to be) in the same spectrum as your main color on her clothes.  Is she destined for a darker base where she would 'pop' more?

• Like 3

I agree about the hair/face, but I honestly can't find anything else to pick on. You're doing an excellent job here. Robinh brought up an interesting point about the basing; I agree that a darker base/background would work really well here.

• Like 4

Looking good!

Couple questions/remarks:

- As oober kinda said, the face lacks highlights, or contrast, to make it more "focal". It also blends with the hair... right now my eyes are brought down into her legs because the face is too dark.

- Are the hands gloves? They look grey, and I was expecting that nice skin color as you achieved on her belly!

- Lately I've been on the mood of trying to simulate different textures... here, for example, I would add some "reflection dots" or points of light on the metallic things, like the guns, to make them appear more "reflective" and metal, as opposed to cloth and leather. The edge highlight is great but on those same edges, I would add a dot here and there, as appropiate, of a brighter off-white.

Ya, the face does need more highlighting. Something I didn't notice until I photographed her. I'll go up slowly at least two more levels. The hair blending with the face is a serious problem. I'm going to try to do some heavier lining to break that up and see what happens.

The hands were sculpted as gloves. I don't like the way it looks either. Because you can't really tell gloves were sculpted, I'm going to go back and paint them skin tone as you suggested.

That's an excellent idea regarding the weapons. Right now they look so plain, no variation and no texture.  Picking out individual points where light would reflect would certainly be a good idea. I'm definitely going to try that.  Thank you so much for your suggestions. 

Like others have said, the hair and skin are similar.  Perhaps find some pictures of people that have the look you're going for?  I know my daughter has a dark strawberry color to her hair, and her skin is super pale.  I know it would be less than fun to change either the skin tone or the hair color at this point, especially since individual areas look great.  A glaze on the hair would probably be easiest.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep up and see how things progress, it's always fun to see what you're painting!  ^_^

Looking at pics of real people is an excellent idea. I'm glad you suggested it as it would not have occurred to me otherwise. I've got some Blood Red wash from Secret Weapon that I can use on the hair. If that doesn't work, I'll have to change the hair colour.  Thank you for your help!

Its a beauty Anne !  Color Mastery as we know you do so well !

Are you going to base her in an Alien moon base,  exoplanet, or downtown Dublin ?

:zombie:

The base came with her. It's done like she's coming in through a metal door onto a metal plated floor. Very sci-fi, post apocalyptic.  Although I wouldn't mind having her tearing through Dublin as the Dub's don't like us Culchie's. 'Twould put a wee bit of a smile on my face :0)

She is LOVELY, & I have a feeling that that quality will grow as she reaches completion. Watching her progress will be a joy. Keep up the SPLENDID WORK!

Thank you dahlink! Moi does hope she lives up to your expectations :0)

Anne could we see a straight shot of her face on?   It is hard to judge when the face is only in profile.  I also find it hard to pick at (not just because it is your work which is hard to pick at normally) with the current cork being (or at least it seems to be) in the same spectrum as your main color on her clothes.  Is she destined for a darker base where she would 'pop' more?

The base that she comes with has closed sides so her profile won't be visible. Also the other side of her face will sit against the metal back wall. The other side of her face wasn't even entirely sculpted. It's a bit of a mess, with one cheekbone caved in and the eye is malformed.  Her base is going to be done in weathered metals. She does "pop" against that. However, her boots kind of blend in. I'm going to have to do something about that.

I agree about the hair/face, but I honestly can't find anything else to pick on. You're doing an excellent job here. Robinh brought up an interesting point about the basing; I agree that a darker base/background would work really well here.

I just did the base and I've done it in dark metals. I held her up against it and she does stand out. The boots and the gun, not so much. I'll take a pic of the base and post it as I think it could use some help.

Thank you all for your help. You are most kind.

• Like 3

This is the first pass on her base. LOTS of work to be done here as this is just a first, quick pass at it.

post-12251-0-82094500-1406826472.jpg

Clearly, her black boots will be lost against this background, so I'm going to make them the same brown as her breastplate.  She is also now a brunette as that blonde was not going to work.

Any input would be most welcome.

Thank you for looking.

• Like 9