Nerd Bible?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does that mean that me not having read the trilogy is a nerd sin?

(I have read the Hobbit twice - once in middle school and again prior to the first Peter Jackson Hobbit movie).

Pah, given the number of "Christians" who haven't read the whole bible...

For that matter, the amount of the bible that's been removed from the bible would make reading the whole bible like watching the LOTR movies (non-extended editions) and not reading the books.

• Like 2

Not at all.  I know tons of church goers who have never read the Bible.  In fact, in the Middle Ages, it was illegal for non-priests to read the bible on their own, that was the job of the Church.

You *could* just be Tolkien Orthodox and believe that the interpretation therein is the job of professionals, Like Rankin/Bass, Jackson, The Brothers Hildebrandt, and HowItSHouldHaveEnded.

Not at all.  I know tons of church goers who have never read the Bible.  In fact, in the Middle Ages, it was illegal for non-priests to read the bible on their own, that was the job of the Church.

You *could* just be Tolkien Orthodox and believe that the interpretation therein is the job of professionals, Like Rankin/Bass, Jackson, The Brothers Hildebrandt, and HowItSHouldHaveEnded.

1287811014832_2505045.png

• Like 4

I don't necessarily disagree with what I think you intend ( :wacko: ), but if I were to make any substantive response, I think I would be choosing poorly.

In oh so many ways.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily disagree with what I think you intend ( :wacko: ), but if I were to make any substantive response, I think I would be choosing poorly.

In oh so many ways.

I was intending to say that he was allowed to receive the word of Tolkien only through approved media.  I was not attempting to comment on the veracity, authenticity, accuracy, or non-heretical status of any of the persons described.

In oh so many ways.

I was intending to say that he was allowed to receive the word of Tolkien only through approved media.  I was not attempting to comment on the veracity, authenticity, accuracy, or non-heretical status of any of the persons described.

That's pretty much what I figured, but every time I tried to play with it I ended up in religion, or LotR edition wars (but I repeat myself  ^_^ ), or politics.

Didn't want to go any of those places.

• Like 1

It's supposed to be red. Why isn't it red? Everyone knows it's red...

Well technically the Red Book of Westmarch was both the Hobbit and the LotR, since it contained the notes from Bilbo and Frodo and Sam about their journeys. Since this is just the LotR it's obviously not the Red Book. - DR, since I too own this copy, feeling a need to defend it because it is a beautiful book.

• Like 2

Hubby has the red book too. I've petted it, admired it, but never actually read it. For reading I stick to my old beaten up hard cover copies. They're sturdy enough to handle being lugged around and turned every which way while I lay in bed or on the couch or where ever.

• Like 2