Nerd Bible?

Yeah, when I gave away my last copy a few years ago to some poor sod who had never read the LotR I rewarded my generosity by buying the anniversary edition. Of course since the copy I gave away was literally falling apart I figured it was time to step up anyway. I guess yearly readings will do that to a soft cover. Hopefully this one holds up better, so far so good.

• Like 1

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two copies each of the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. The first are my paperbacks from growing up, the second are the Hobbit collector's edition, the Lord of the Rings collector's edition, and a very nice hardback of the Silmarillion.

Edit: technically, my paperback Silmarillion is a replacement because I loaned that to one of my friends in high school who promptly was grounded and all his books were confiscated and stored in their attic during the summer and ended up with mold. I made him replace that one since the grounding was his fault. Though I have to say, who takes books away as punishment for their kids!? Most parents would just be ecstatic their kids aren't always watching tv.

Edited by Erifnogard
  • Like 3

I have two copies each of the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion. The first are my paperbacks from growing up, the second are the Hobbit collector's edition, the Lord of the Rings collector's edition, and a very nice hardback of the Silmarillion.

Edit: technically, my paperback Silmarillion is a replacement because I loaned that to one of my friends in high school who promptly was grounded and all his books were confiscated and stored in their attic during the summer and ended up with mold. I made him replace that one since the grounding was his fault. Though I have to say, who takes books away as punishment for their kids!? Most parents would just be ecstatic their kids aren't always watching tv.

I was grounded from fantasy/scifi books back in high school.  I spent too much time reading and not enough on homework.  Mine were stored in the closet though so no mold.  Plus the school library had a decent assortment of books so that was my work around.

• Like 3

It's gorgeous! Where did you pick it up?

Powell's Books in Portland Or.

I love that bookstore.  My last time (and first time in Portland) I was visiting a friend, and he ended up getting called into work one day, so he left me there.  I ended up having to buy a second suitcase to get home :lol:

• Like 3

Does that mean that me not having read the trilogy is a nerd sin?

Not at all.  I know tons of church goers who have never read the Bible.  In fact, in the Middle Ages, it was illegal for non-priests to read the bible on their own, that was the job of the Church.

There were people whose job it was to read the Bible aloud in church.

The readers were not allowed to travel outside of their own village ...

It's supposed to be red. Why isn't it red? Everyone knows it's red...

Well technically the Red Book of Westmarch was both the Hobbit and the LotR, since it contained the notes from Bilbo and Frodo and Sam about their journeys. Since this is just the LotR it's obviously not the Red Book. - DR, since I too own this copy, feeling a need to defend it because it is a beautiful book.

Hmm. My husband has some sort of a pretty hardcover omnibus edition with runes or trees or something on it. I believe it is red. It is far too old to be a 50th annoversary edition, though.

I will have to wait until I am not halfway across the country from it so I can check.

• Like 1

I've got the LotR in paperback, the authorized Ballantine versions copyright 1965. Well, technically, the thirty-sixth printing from 1972 (coincidentally, the year I was born) with the new foreword by Tolkien. I got them for 50 cents each at a yardsale when I was 10 years old, because that's what I happened to have in my pocket at the time...

The guy that sold me the books took me downstairs into his basement and showed me an airtight bookcase with a bunch of old books, a lot of which he said were first editions and early printings, including signed copies of most of Tolkien's books. :blink:

That event basically had a huge influence on jumpstarting my fascination with old books.

• Like 4

That event basically had a huge influence on jumpstarting my fascination with old books.

Similar experience here. Since meeting a proficient collector I've kept an eye out for interesting books. Last year I was in Goodwill and I found a reprint of Steel's Elements of Mastmaking, Sailmaking, and Rigging. Picked it up for a buck because I wanted to scratchbuild more convincing sailboats. It's now sitting in my plexi display case. While it was still lying around on my drafting table I learned my copy goes for around 100 bucks on amazon.